• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I disagree they fired 5-6 more shots after he put his head down to take a nap. I would have emptied my mag. :D

Interesting.

I noticed that too. And the first thing that went through my mind was, if I did that (on video), would I go to jail because he was "already down" and I kept shooting?

Not judging. And CERTAINLY NOT "bashing". But I wonder if John Q. Carrypermit would end up in the Graybar Hotel under similar circumstances.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    john Q carrypermit gets the luxury of not having most of his actions videotaped for Monday morning quarterbacking. With john Q, the victor gets to decide how the history books are written.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Interesting.

I noticed that too. And the first thing that went through my mind was, if I did that (on video), would I go to jail because he was "already down" and I kept shooting?

Seriously!

"I thought he was just ducking the bullets. Plus, I always close my eyes when pulling the trigger."

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    john Q carrypermit gets the luxury of not having most of his actions videotaped for Monday morning quarterbacking.

Ten years ago, I would have agreed. But today, I defy you to turn your head in most public places, and not see at least one video camera.

Again, I am NOT Monday Morning Quarterbacking. The guy got what was coming to him.

My only question was, if you or I were in a similar situation, and responded the same way, would we (especially here in Maryland) experience the same results, under the law?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ten years ago, I would have agreed. But today, I defy you to turn your head in most public places, and not see at least one video camera.

Again, I am NOT Monday Morning Quarterbacking. The guy got what was coming to him.

My only question was, if you or I were in a similar situation, and responded the same way, would we (especially here in Maryland) experience the same results, under the law?

IF nothing was hinky about the situation and also dead men tell no tales.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

That's why expert testimony is important reaction time being what it is there is no time to process a cease fire before 2 or 3 shots are fire

Training helps too.. fire on command and then cease fire on comand ... you will not start or stop immediately..

I had the chance to do this...very eye opening. At full rate of fire it takes about 2 rounds to cease fire after the verbal command that's about 1 sec. That's no stress perfect conditions..
    Add stress and having to visualy process and make a " no threat " decision I would think. 2-3 seconds.

This can be demonstrated for a jury..
    If fact you can, I the court allows let the jurors try it themselves in simulaton...

In any case there is a good deal of data on this..

If you can get to a simulator yourself... worth every penny.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    That's why expert testimony is important reaction time being what it is there is no time to process a cease fire before 2 or 3 shots are fire

Training helps too.. fire on command and then cease fire on comand ... you will not start or stop immediately..

I had the chance to do this...very eye opening. At full rate of fire it takes about 2 rounds to cease fire after the verbal command that's about 1 sec. That's no stress perfect conditions..
    Add stress and having to visualy process and make a " no threat " decision I would think. 2-3 seconds.

If fact you can, I the court allows let the jurors try it themselves in simulaton...

If you can get to a simulator yourself... worth every penny.

Good to know. Thanks for posting.

The most I've taken so far is a Tactical Handgun, and Tactical Rifle class. I'd love to try a simulator.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

If fact you can, if the court allows, let the jurors try it themselves in simulaton...

If you can, get to a simulator yourself... worth every penny.

Sourkraut115

Jul 6, 2013
    the Westside
    Not even really any question as to whether that was a justified use of deadly force. As for not ramming the car when he tried to escape... since he has no idea that the guy is going to shoot at them, he had (at that stage) no reason to use deadly force by ramming the car. At the second opportunity, as the suspect emerged, he was probably already mentally committed to stopping his car before the gun came into play... and it was basically too late to use the car defensively.

One step that MIGHT have helped would have been to ask the suspect to remove the keys from the ignition much earlier in the encounter... after smelling the marijuana and before TELLING the suspect that he smelled it. May or may not have worked, but in my experience suspects nearly always comply, and it doesn't hurt to try... it still doesn't (obviously) render the officer perfectly safe, but it eliminates a very deadly weapon and the most obvious means of escape. I'm glad that the officer waited for a backup before beginning to pull the suspect out of the car... but the suspect was given the chance to take the initiative when the officer TOLD him that he smelled weed, and was still given the means to escape and cause harm. Just food for thought,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom