• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    lots of assumptions that the cops gave this guy ample time to understand and comply with their demand to drop his weapon. cops are way too quick to shoot and i don't give them any benefit of the doubt. too many trigger happy commando wannabes with badges running around.

Do you have any proof to the contrary? Specifics?

Otherwise you're just making assumptions too. I'll wait for the facts to come out before forming an opinion.

I'm guessing the poor misguided young man who was trying to turn his life around got what he deserved however.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    A gun is a gun. If the cops come you put yours down, if you don't then you deserve what you get. BTW there are some very deadly air guns, like this one used to kill a 275 hog.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The article doesn't mention that the man ever pointed it at police. For all we know he froze, or maybe he was deaf. If the police shot him just because he was holding what looked to be a weapon then the shooting is not justified.

Anyway, I posted it because people on this forum have been talking about open carrying rifles and I wanted to show them that it could easily end up badly if the police misinterpret your actions. This post was not meant to bash the police, there is not enough information in the article to know who was in the right or what really happened.
    see below...

If you are carrying a weapon and the lawman tells you to do something, you do it. Now I am pretty sure he was not up to anything bad a 2am :innocent0
    Exactly!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well lets see, hmmm..?

It's 2 AM & the Police are called about a dispute between 2 men, hmmm..?

It's dark & one of them is holding what looks like an AR, hmmm..?

The Police tell him to put it down & he doesn't, hmmm..?

Assholes that play stupid games = win stupid prizes...

The story ends happily with no police injuries...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    lots of assumptions that the cops gave this guy ample time to understand and comply with their demand to drop his weapon. cops are way too quick to shoot and i don't give them any benefit of the doubt. too many trigger happy commando wannabes with badges running around.

And......there it is. Go!

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    If you don't listen to LE when they give you an order, there are consequences...right, wrong or indifferent, it is in your best interest to comply.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    If you don't listen to LE when they give you an order, there are consequences...right, wrong or indifferent, it is in your best interest to comply.

So, if you are stopped at at DUI check point you should give up your constitutional rights and exit your vehicle when told to do so and allow the police to perform a search of your vehicle without probable cause or a search warrant?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't think that was the context in which the post was made. If you find yourself in a similar situation ie have a firearm in your hand and are given an order by a police officer, it is in your best interests and continued good health to comply. You can decide the legailty of it after the fact.

We weren't discussing 4th amendment searches IIRC

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    So, if you are stopped at at DUI check point you should give up your constitutional rights and exit your vehicle when told to do so and allow the police to perform a search of your vehicle without probable cause or a search warrant?

As much as I detest DUI check-points, I can't draw a parallel between the two scenarios.

If you were revving up your engine in a threatening manner, as if to run over the Police, and they put a few rounds through your windshield to stop you then I would say they had a right to shoot.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't think that was the context in which the post was made. If you find yourself in a similar situation ie have a firearm in your hand and are given an order by a police officer, it is in your best interests and continued good health to comply. You can decide the legailty of it after the fact.

We weren't discussing 4th amendment searches IIRC

I ready the comment as being very broad and not just about when in possession of a firearm and complying with the police whenever they give you an order.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, IMO if a LEO gives me an order, I will comply and decide the legalities after the fact. Refusal is probably not the best course of action. You can verbally tell the LEO you don't consent but a flat out refusal of a police order isn't a good idea.

But you make your choice and live with the consequences.

YMMV.

Soul Rebel

Mar 8, 2013
    Do you have any proof to the contrary? Specifics?

Otherwise you're just making assumptions too. I'll wait for the facts to come out before forming an opinion.

I'm guessing the poor misguided young man who was trying to turn his life around got what he deserved however.

there have been a lot of questionable police shootings around the country this year. its a direct result of the militarization of out domestic police forces.

i'm not saying it was a good shoot or not, but it seems that some here think they know enough to call it legit. i know this is MD, but lets not be sheep. anytime someone is killed by the police we need to know why. because the police said so isn't good enough for me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Which is why I said I don't think generalities or assumptions should be used. As I said, we will know the facts and then can have an informed opinion. Up until that, it's all conjecture and trends elsewhere aren't part of the facts of this incident yet.

So sweeping statements and generalities from either side don't add much to the discussion IMO.

We have to wait and see what the facts are.

ETA-I do tend to give more credibility and less doubt to LE than the other side until proven wrong. I admit that.

A lot of people jumped on Las Vegas Metro when they shot Eric Scott out in Summerlin before any investigation occurred.

They were exonerated.

Last edited:

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore

As applies to you being ordered to drop your weapon...as to anything else not involving a gun, knife or vehicle i guess it depends on how willing you are to take an ass whooping for non-compliance. I would refuse to allow a search without a warrant as I fell for that once; never again. Does that help to tighten up my broad statement? Hope it suits your accupuccum...

Feb 28, 2013
    there have been a lot of questionable police shootings around the country this year. its a direct result of the militarization of out domestic police forces.

That's necessary because they have to keep up with the bad guys. If I were a police captain I couldn't live with myself if I had to send my officers into harm's way armed only with .38's while the bad guys may likely have AR-15's.

i'm not saying it was a good shoot or not, but it seems that some here think they know enough to call it legit. i know this is MD, but lets not be sheep. anytime someone is killed by the police we need to know why. because the police said so isn't good enough for me.

It shouldn't be good enough for anyone. But I'm not about to crucify those who just by virtue of their chosen profession have shown that they have more guts than I.

That's why these things get investigated.

Mattjtowne

NRA Life supporter
    Feb 10, 2013
    "Both officers shot"

I am sure he got plenty of warning before two officers would fire.

I feel strange carrying rifle cases outside my house sometimes when the neighbors are out.

This guy is outside 2am in the hood... he wasn't heading to a range!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom