• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I have been considering LEO for years. While in Saudi Arabia I volunteered for SF augmentee duty and loved it. However, with 12 years of active duty under my belt, and a career in IT, specializing in network security, I'm not sure if money or enjoying what I do is best at this point.

Can anyone tell me how the retirement works, with regards to military service, and what, if anything, is transferred to LEO retirement? Will any of the years I have applied towards military retirement be considered. Again, my military specialty is IT, with about 4 months of Security Forces augmentee service back in 2001-2002. So I am by no means qualified as a LEO in the Armed Forces, but I am qualified on the basic weapons.

The AF is reducing enlisted force by 1.6% (about 4k) by 2012, and my enlistment is up in June 2011. That will put me at 13 years, so I have about a year to complete 4 classes for my Bachelors and figure out what the hell I'm going to do if I'm one of the involuntarily separated to meet manning numbers. I could take a civilian position, or even a contractor position making good money, but this may be the opp. I have been waiting for if it lines up, and financially keeps me in tune with where I am now.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I believe, but I'm not a personnel guru so cannot guarantee, they will give credit for up to four years of active duty towards your retirement. We have 20 year and out retirement @ 50%, no minimum age, but you have to actually have 20 years county service before you can retire and then get your military credit added in @ 2% a year. So in other words, with your service if you worked for AAPD for 20 years and retired you'd get credit for 24 years towards your pension, or 58%.

Obviously, with our starting pay being what it is it would probably cost you a significant amount of money to come chase bad guys with us as opposed to what I would imagine your current and potential incomes would be staying in your current field. Of course only you can answer how much a change like this would be worth to you. Unlike federal law enforcement we have no maximum age so you could also finish your 20 in the AF (I'm guessing it's still 20) and then apply. I don't know exactly how old our oldest recruit has been but I'm sure its at least in the mid-40's. We have at least one retired Army officer I can think of off the top of my head who went through the academy after completing a full army career and retiring from Uncle Sugar.

Again I am not a personnel guru but I am pretty sure I am correct on these things. Still, my disclaimer is anyone reading this post should not take anything I said about bennies and such as fact without verifying it. I've been wrong before, at least once or twice in my life, maybe.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me for answers.

Kind of an ironic conversation, you are thinking about leaving IT for police work and I have spent the last 3 years earning a Master's in Info Systems Management from Maryland so when I retire in a little over a year I can enter the field.

I have been considering LEO for years. While in Saudi Arabia I volunteered for SF augmentee duty and loved it. However, with 12 years of active duty under my belt, and a career in IT, specializing in network security, I'm not sure if money or enjoying what I do is best at this point.

Can anyone tell me how the retirement works, with regards to military service, and what, if anything, is transferred to LEO retirement? Will any of the years I have applied towards military retirement be considered. Again, my military specialty is IT, with about 4 months of Security Forces augmentee service back in 2001-2002. So I am by no means qualified as a LEO in the Armed Forces, but I am qualified on the basic weapons.

The AF is reducing enlisted force by 1.6% (about 4k) by 2012, and my enlistment is up in June 2011. That will put me at 13 years, so I have about a year to complete 4 classes for my Bachelors and figure out what the hell I'm going to do if I'm one of the involuntarily separated to meet manning numbers. I could take a civilian position, or even a contractor position making good money, but this may be the opp. I have been waiting for if it lines up, and financially keeps me in tune with where I am now.

Nejer9

Sweet lil girl w/ a Gun
    Jan 17, 2009
    Bel Air, MD HarCo
    I received my acceptance letter in the mail today. Next is the physical agility and written.

I my acceptance letter for the CO position, Agility test is the 5th of May and the written is on the 6th. Twtyrant what location did your acceptance letter tell you for the physical agility test? Mine was quite unclear on the exact location.

twtyrant

Jan 7, 2009
    Luke AFB
    I my acceptance letter for the CO position, Agility test is the 5th of May and the written is on the 6th. Twtyrant what location did your acceptance letter tell you for the physical agility test? Mine was quite unclear on the exact location.

My letter is showing Harford Community College, but in the letter description is says to meet at Fallston High School Track. It's kind of confusing, but when I called to RSVP, the automated device said to meet at HCC.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    thanks! gotta kick my but in to shape to pass the agility test!!

My letter is showing Harford Community College, but in the letter description is says to meet at Fallston High School Track. It's kind of confusing, but when I called to RSVP, the automated device said to meet at HCC.

What does the agility test consist of?

Push ups
    Sit Ups
    Run?

good luck!!

Nejer9

Sweet lil girl w/ a Gun
    Jan 17, 2009
    Bel Air, MD HarCo

That's what my letter said... I will be RSVPing tomorrow so I'm sure it will say the same thing... Thanks!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    27 sit ups in one min
    10 trigger pulls each hand

For the record, I would have to bust my *ss to do 27 sit-ups in one minute. I hate sit-ups.

Any idea what you have to pull the trigger on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom