• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I have been shooting quite a bit at On Target, and I like the place - but 50 ft is a bit restrictive. Not to mention that rifles are a no-no.

I am looking for a gun club or range that best fits my needs/wants:

-laid back
    -open for "free fire" - not interested in comp shoots or organized shoots (just wanna spend some time and ammo)
    -at least a 200yd rifle range
    -laid back
    -kid/family friendly (I have an 11yo and 9yo that like to shoot with me sometimes)
    -I dont mind volunteering my time or paying a reasonable fee.
    -did I mention I want a laid back attitude?

I am not from MD and I have never joined a club for access to a decent range. Therefore I have no idea what belonging to a club is like, so please clue me in. If it matters, I am an NRA member and have tons of range time, including USMC active duty infantry and teaching RSO classes for the Army at the Ft Richardson Range Control.

Recommendations?

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'd recommend the AGC. See my sig for a link. If you'd like to check it out let me know and I can meet you up there.

Club and range badge fees are reasonable. For example, my club's fees are $30/year and the range badge is $150/yr. So, for $180/year I have access to:

-A fifty point outdoor pistol range, firing at 25 and 50 yards, with covered firing line — equipped to handle NRA conventional pistol match competitions;
    -A 100 yard benchrest-equipped rifle, black powder, and pistol range, with covered firing line — firing at intermediate distances of 25, 50, and 75 yards;
    -A ten point outdoor, high power rifle range with covered firing line — firing at 200 yards, with military-style target frames and equipped to handle national match events;
    -A four field, lighted, outdoor trap range with automatic and manual trap houses, a coin-operated wobble trap, and portable Lincoln trap throwers
    -A 50 yard archery range and simulated tree stand;

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I live in the Ft Meade area. I would be willing to drive up to an hour for the right club. Obviously, the closer to home the better though.

wmshooter

Aug 29, 2009
    The AGC is approximately 40 minutes or so from Fort Meade. Also there is 58 lanes, (i know- splitting hairs) on the pistol range, rapid fire is allowed as long as you are hitting the embankment, and you can shoot as close as 5 yards away.

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    I've not been to any of the outdoor ranges, mainly because of weather. However, if you want a range that meets your description (although it's barely within an hour of here), try www.silvereaglegroup.com in Ashburn VA. It's everything you've described, and very reasonable: $25 for the first person, $15 for the second, and I think $10 for the 3rd on the same lane. And although their website says that's per hour, they charge in advance, so it's effectively per day.

Good luck,
    Perry

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Consider Berwyn Rod and Gun in Bowie. They have their own range plus they're a member club of the AGC so for the club membership requirement you be getting access to 2 ranges if you get your AGC badge.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Consider Berwyn Rod and Gun in Bowie. They have their own range plus they're a member club of the AGC so for the club membership requirement you be getting access to 2 ranges if you get your AGC badge.

Berwyn, unfortunately, hasn't reopened their 200yd range yet. It's a lot nicer not to have the dedicated ROs who can go off on power trips though.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    Tough to get "laid back" in Maryland unless you are somewhere West of Frederick or on the Eastern Shore. The 200 yard requirement knocks out a lot of possibilities. Check membership requirements, as some clubs conduct themselves unreasonably in this regard. Check the potential longevity of the club, as some are facing legal issues and members have liability exposure. I would look to the Eastern Shore, Delaware or over the line in Pa. This might stretch out the drive a bit, but well worth it. Otherwise, you can put up with some minor BS and join any of the ACG clubs and shoot at their facility in Marriottsville. All in all, a pretty nice place.

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    Tough to get "laid back" in Maryland unless you are somewhere West of Frederick or on the Eastern Shore. The 200 yard requirement knocks out a lot of possibilities. Check membership requirements, as some clubs conduct themselves unreasonably in this regard. Check the potential longevity of the club, as some are facing legal issues and members have liability exposure. I would look to the Eastern Shore, Delaware or over the line in Pa. This might stretch out the drive a bit, but well worth it. Otherwise, you can put up with some minor BS and join any of the ACG clubs and shoot at their facility in Marriottsville. All in all, a pretty nice place.

200 yards is not a requirement, it is just on the wishlist. 100 yards would be acceptable if the range/club was nice enough.

Topher has me interested in Cresap. I might have to check that place out. I also plan to join the Ft Meade club, even though the range availability is limited.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    200 yards is not a requirement, it is just on the wishlist. 100 yards would be acceptable if the range/club was nice enough.

Topher has me interested in Cresap. I might have to check that place out. I also plan to join the Ft Meade club, even though the range availability is limited.

If 200 yds is not a definite requirment, then I third the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club in Bowie (Iess than half an hour from parts of the Ft. Meade area).
    It is expensive and there are rules on types of targets, types of bullets, and such, but you as a member are your own range officer, full auto is allowed (with club certification) and the members are good folk.

By the way, On Target used to allow up to .30 cal. M1 Carbine rifles and maybe they still do..

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

If you are going to drive a bit, don't forget Quantico. 1000 Yard ranges, and shorter.

Mark

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I have been shooting quite a bit at On Target, and I like the place - but 50 ft is a bit restrictive. Not to mention that rifles are a no-no.

I am looking for a gun club or range that best fits my needs/wants:

-laid back
    -open for "free fire" - not interested in comp shoots or organized shoots (just wanna spend some time and ammo)
    -at least a 200yd rifle range
    -laid back
    -kid/family friendly (I have an 11yo and 9yo that like to shoot with me sometimes)
    -I dont mind volunteering my time or paying a reasonable fee.
    -did I mention I want a laid back attitude?

I am not from MD and I have never joined a club for access to a decent range. Therefore I have no idea what belonging to a club is like, so please clue me in. If it matters, I am an NRA member and have tons of range time, including USMC active duty infantry and teaching RSO classes for the Army at the Ft Richardson Range Control.

Recommendations?

Do yourself a favor and check out Freedom Armory just over the PA line, north of Baltimore, right off of interstate 83. It is all of the things your looking for. the hand gun range is 75 feet and they have 4 rifle range lanes in the basement that are 150 feet.

They are very friendly (and I mean everyone who works their) I joined with my wife and my 12 yo daughter and we go shooting often.

Large inventory. Safe, well lit parking. and VERY good prices on guns.

http://www.freedomarmory.com/

Dave_E71

Nov 11, 2009

If you're going to join the Ft. Meade club, I believe they are a member club of AGC also.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom