• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Sold nearly 3 dozen rifles and pistols at auction last month and in the wake of that added two rifles and three pistols to the rapidly shrinking herd. Three were bucket list items, including this tiny Webley & Scott Model 1912 striker fired pocket auto in .25 ACP. This example was built in Sept. 1925. Total production from 1909 thru 1938 was 14,955 units.
    -Commonly called the 6.35mm Hammerless to differentiate it from it's older brother, the Model 1907 aka the 6.35mm Hammer. The M1912 actually had an internal hammer, just like the Colt 1903 Hammerless.
    -W&S licensed the design of the M1912 to American Harrington & Richardson but there was a 3 year delay getting the US built auto to production as changes were required to skirt Colt patents. Both the M1912 and the H&R Self-Loading Caliber 25 are very similar with minor changes to the breechslide and triggerguard. The breechslide change made it easier and cheaper for H&R to manufacture. The Self-Loader also did away with the sights that the M1912 sports. Considering the use of a .25 vest auto as a point and shoot pistol it's not unsurprising.
    -The M1912 sold well throughout Europe but not so much here in the USA. They're not anywhere near as easy to find as the older Webly M1907 Hammer model. I've had the M1907 in my collection for decades but never had the opportunity to acquire a M1912 until last week when, surprisingly, two of them came to market. I scooped this one up for a very fair price. The hard part will be finding a British holster for it. The Parker Hale 1933 catalog shows one so at least I know what to look for!

Attachments

• IMGP9932.JPG
      IMGP9932.JPG
      227 KB · Views: 67
    • IMGP9934.JPG
      IMGP9934.JPG
      200 KB · Views: 75
    • IMGP9935.JPG
      IMGP9935.JPG
      147 KB · Views: 60
    • IMGP9936.JPG
      IMGP9936.JPG
      215.4 KB · Views: 59
    • IMGP9938.JPG
      IMGP9938.JPG
      135.8 KB · Views: 65

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Cute little pistol; congrats on another drop in the bucket.

I just ordered a copy of Bruce's Webley Automatic Pistols, so I'll read up on it when it arrives. (I figured it was time to start getting some info on the Webley-Fosbery that has fascinated me for years. If you can point me to other useful sources, please feel free).

European semi-autos from the first half of the 20th century are fascinating devices; I have more of them than I need, but they're like the potato chips of the handgun world to me.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Bruce's book has had a prominent place in my reference library for decades, it's the best source of information for W&S autos, including the amazing W-F auto revolvers. If you're less interested in the W-F auto but still want to learn about the rest of the Webley autoloaders then Cuthbertson's Worldwide Webley reference is a good place to start and more affordable than Gordon Bruce's classic which has been out of print for many years and is not cheap.
    -What's sad is that you need a $15K budget to secure a good example of a Fosbery. Hate to say it but if given the opportunity to choose between a Fosbery and a Webley MKI Royal Horse Artillery the RHA gets the nod. It's the ultimate unicorn for me. Bid on a very rough example 20 yrs ago and regret not having the resources available at the time. Now they're in the $10-12K range and I have serious feet of clay when it comes to spending that much this late in my collecting life. Then again, I did throw nearly $6k at a matching commercial artillery Luger rig earlier this year (unsuccessfully, a full $1k short of the finish line).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks for the Cuthbertson info. Nothing is cheap any more; just found the least pricey copy of C on ebay for $130; that's about what I paid for the Bruce title. Both are en route, and I should be seeing them in a week or two. (Bruce is coming from UK; their Royal Mail was held up for over a month recently because of some sort of terrorist mail thing).

I may (or may not) ever get the W-F, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. I missed one for 9K a while ago, because the cash wasn't in hand. You snooze, you lose. Another will come along by and by; they're not so rare that you can't get one by throwing big wads of cash around.

I know nothing about the RHA Mk I, if you want to pass along some more information. (I have a short handful of Webley revolvers, and nearly no knowledge about them. Even so, I find them fascinating).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -The RHA is a sub version of the MKI Auto in .455. While the std MKI [N] served with the Royal Navy the RHA ended up being used by the Royal Flying Corps in the early days of the war when aircraft were shooting at each other with small arms, Fokker not having developed the synchronized MG. RHAs were issued with shoulder stocks and featured a long range adjustable rear sight. Think along the lines of the L08 Artillery Luger. They also had hammer safety that the MKI didn't. Fewer than 500 RHAs were built vs just over 8000 MKI.
    R.c4f07613ad6830b6b417ddf068647f39

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Congrats!

I love my Colt 1908, but it’s more for the family history than any other significance - still carry it and exercise it regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom