Please stop calling and emailing the MSP about your Handgun/Black Rifle Paperwork

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I told people this was going to happen and of course the people that "think" they know how things work, said I was full of it. EVERY TIME someone calls or emails the MDSP Licensing Division, it PULLS people away from doing the paperwork they are tasked to do.

Here you go smart guys:

MD Firearm Dealers -March 5, 2013

We are currently processing applications received From January 25th through January 29th. Everything we have received prior to the 24th of January should have been faxed back by now. We will begin faxing back applications from the 24th and 25th this evening. Please let me know if you have any applications prior to January 24th that you have not received notification for.

It would appear that many dealers are encouraging their customers to e-mail the Licensing Division directly to get an update on the status of their application. Many times this results in taking an employee away from records checks to literally dig through a pile of 2,000 applications to see where it is. Remember our system is a very outdated, manual process. These records are only retrieved electronically once the process is near completion. A change to this current process takes a commitment for funding to be approved. Once funding is approve, we can begin an automation process that will certainly help with the delays while allowing a dealer to always know where their application is in the process.

Please know that by responding to an overwhelming number of e-mails each day has resulted in about 450 less record checks weekly. We will continue to respond to the public. But, please help them out. We are receiving e-mails from citizens who bought a gun five days earlier that want to make sure we received their application. While I can certainly understand why this question is asked, please know the process for any application that was not received.

We recently replaced the single fax machine with two new faxes that are designed to allow a fax to come through to the other machine if one should go down for some reason. Hold your receipt. If after the current delay period, you discover that your fax was never received, we will process any application immediately.

If you are encouraging a customer to send an e-mail, then encourage them to give us all the needed information such as;

Date application sent by the dealer
    Name of the dealer
    Full name and date of birth from the applicant

Every e-mail response takes time....and right now, every minute counts. We have employees so concerned with the backlog that they are working through illnesses and family emergencies to make sure they are here to get their job done. I'm proud of the commitment of the employees.

It is very important to me personally that the Licensing Division does everything under our power to support your Second Amendment Right. I will never allow any portion of this process to be intentionally delayed. Bare with me as I am committed every day to work through this demanding time period. I am hopeful that we will find a way to get everything on track for you and your customers.

Captain Jack McCauley
    Commander, Licensing Division
    Department of Maryland State Police
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    (410) 653-4500

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Maybe this is the kick in the ass needed to get the system updated. It's pathetic that it hasn't turn into an electronic system yet.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    While I certainly understand and respect Clandestine's point, the State instituted a system that it was, and is, not prepared to support. The MSP complaining about how overloaded they are is much like the butcher complaining that he has too much meat to process. The State asked for it; now that they've got it, they're whining about it. Here's a suggestion for the MSP and Annapolis: hire more troopers, update the system, or drop the system entirely but make the process YOU put in place to monitor firearms purchases work the way it should. Lest we forget, the MSP is always in Annapolis fighting for more and more gun control.

Chevy

Sep 6, 2010
    They should pull the apps then put em on the bottom of the pile. All you guys calling in will speed up mine being processed :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    While I certainly understand and respect Clandestine's point, the State instituted a system that it was, and is, not prepared to support. The MSP complaining about how overloaded they are is much like the butcher complaining that he has too much meat to process. The State asked for it; now that they've got it, they're whining about it. Here's a suggestion for the MSP and Annapolis: hire more troopers, update the system, or drop the system entirely but make the process YOU put in place to monitor firearms purchases work the way it should. Lest we forget, the MSP is always in Annapolis fighting for more and more gun control.

I dont disagree at all.

People calling and emailing for updates when the ship is sinking means it sinks faster. The purchasers are the ones who pay the price by waiting longer.

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    Too much like right for people to listen and wait. Getting angry at the MSP will not speed up the process.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I agree. - BE PATIENT. BUT If you applied Jan 18 or so and haven't heard, I MIGHT show the above email to your FFL this Thursday.
    It's getting to be 40 days, folks.
    Please don't slow down my
    pre-ban AK double underfolder paperwork with your requests!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

I have the feeling that no truer words were ever spoken.

djleepanda

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2011
    Elkridge
    I agree. - BE PATIENT. BUT If you applied Jan 18 or so and haven't heard, I MIGHT show the above email to your FFL this Thursday.

Im at 47 days tomorrow. From Jan 18, I have no sympathy for the MSP. They refuse to change their way of doing business.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

I have been trying to get people to open their eyes to this kind of stuff for a couple months now. BGOS is alive and well around here.:sad20:

Lagmeister1950

Shooter since '61
    Feb 1, 2013
    :innocent0
    So, let me see: we have a few thousand folks that are trying to buy as many regulated guns as possible between now and the ban and/or new licensing, which means every 30 days a new slug of forms gets dumped in the system; then, we have folks like myself just trying to buy one more handgun; finally, we will have a bunch of new folks joining in to buy once the law is passed.

Nobody intends to make the government obey the law.

Looks to me like the two fax machines will grind to a halt and make OweMalley very happy. All the while the 7 day law will be as though it never existed.:mad54:

djleepanda

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 10, 2011
    Elkridge
    Next a*****e who tells me to be patient is getting my foot in their ass. We should be pissed by day 8 if we don't have a phone call. For some reason you guys are far too lenient on the MSP? why?

1BADI5

Are we there yet
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft Meade AOR
    The current process is like being in the active military........hurry up and wait, its not a big deal here.....so it shouldn't be for yall.

Imagine 15 years of everying being like this...........

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I could go along with the "be patient and don't bug them" theory if I werent for the poor bastards that DID wait to contact them and then found out their shit was never even received.

The system is fvcked, it's an over dramatized, worked up, redundant and unnessicary process that has now become a total cluster fvck.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    Well, I think this attempt to blame the victims is more worthy of scorn than anything else. People are asking about their applications because the licensing folks are not keeping up. Their failure to keep up has little/nothing to do with people asking about their applications.

Citizens have a right to expect government to meet their needs and an obligation to let their government know when things are not going well. That's how government improves it's performance vs. blithely chugging along at the same glacial pace. No challenge, no response.

If MSP can't handle this process efficiently, they should turn it over to the MVA or some other arm of the government that has learned how to manage high volume licensing operations efficiently without blaming customers for their own failings.

If any significant part of the proposed gun control legislation gets passed, this is only going to get worse. Let's not set the bar so low that they will free to go downhill from here. We are running out of downhill!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom