• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdwaiter

Prodigy
    Feb 9, 2013
    hagerstown
    Got the ak today and I went to field strip it and I cant get the carrier out.

seems it just slams back but doesn't come out I'm thinking maybe because it new and tight with the combination of lube sitting for 70 days may have rusted it to the point it just wont break loose at the end.

or perhaps I need to file something down a little. I plan on polishing the bolt anyway.

Any advice would help thanks.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Not being rude but Did you take the recoils spring off/out? Also there should be a notch where the bolt comes out towards the back, Theres only one place it comes out. as for it rusting causing it to not work...highly unlikely unless it was sitting in the ocean or a mud hole...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah springs out and the notch looks fine it just doesn't lift out

might take a little wiggling and the bolt has to go all the way back I think...its been a while since I took mine apart. I know the hammer puts a little tension on the bolt so you have to go past that a little and it should come out...

xdwaiter

Prodigy
    Feb 9, 2013
    hagerstown
    The carrier rides fun not sticky feeling or anything bastard just wont come out.
    Im sure it would cycle fine.

And it feels like it loosens slightly when I wriggle it.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    fieldstripping the ak

Once the recoil spring is out, pull back the bolt really hard. It will lift straight out. There is also a gas tube on the front. Make sure that is fully seated and the little lever I'd down where it should be. If that is misaligned, the gun might work but not come apart.

If your AK has the parabellum AKARS system, where you have a charging handle forward on the left side, you have to take the Allan screws out first. You can tell because it'll be the same place as on a CETME or HK. Most AKs don't have this.

A rubber mallet might be needed.

Don't take the trigger group out unless the gun already has a retaining plate. The shepherds crook (looks like a paperclip) is hard to put back and it's not necessary for normal cleaning. :gun1:

Here's a helpful video. :party29:

On some Yugo versions, you must push a button to get the dust cover off.

[YT]sDKHsMNG-84[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom