• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • so im reading all over of people getting a utah ccw..... why? im flipping through the forum and i cant seem to get a definate anwser... does this allow you to carry in MD? are there restrictions. is it just a way to carry in bordering states for MD? can someone please help or point me in the right direction. i cant seem to find my answer.

Thankyou

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    so im reading all over of people getting a utah ccw..... why? im flipping through the forum and i cant seem to get a definate anwser... does this allow you to carry in MD? are there restrictions. is it just a way to carry in bordering states for MD? can someone please help or point me in the right direction. i cant seem to find my answer.

Thankyou

Utah allow you to carry in several boarder states. But not Maryland. You can see what states are covered based on this map.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Thanks
    Robert

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Utah permit allows you to carry in every state bordering MD. How close to a border are you? I took the class because it was an opportunity to learn more about firearms. Now I can carry in 30 or so states.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If you never leave Maryland the Utah permit will do nothing for you.

Most of the people that take our Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course because they travel. Some for business, others for pleasure. We find that many of our students ride motorcycles or own R.V.'s. What they all have in common is that they want to be able to protect themselves when they can, even if they can't in their home state.

Here's Utah's website reciprocity/recognition list. Although there are many states that will recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit, the State of Utah has formal reciprocity (written agreement) with the following states.

Alabama
    Alaska
    Colorado
    Florida

Georgia
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    South Dakota
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington State
    West Virginia

The following states recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit.

Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

The following states DO NOT recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit.

California
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Kansas
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Oregon
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina

Here's a link to the above information. I edited the list by adding the red highlights. The states shown in red do not accept the Utah permit when held by a nonresident of Utah. The states shown in Green do not accept any Utah permit.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html
    Please get your information from the source. There are several privately owned websites that may not be kept up to date. Those sites will not help you if you have to go to court. Verify everything using the States website.

JDH

Apr 30, 2005
    Harford County
    Well said... If you never leave MD, theres no reason to get a Utah or any non resident permit. However if you do travel to surrounding states the Utah is covers them. Take note though before going to another state, you should look into their gun laws to keep you out of trouble.

Most of the people that take our Utah Concealed Firearm Permit course because they travel. Some for business, others for pleasure. We find that many of our students ride motorcycles or own R.V.'s. What they all have in common is that they want to be able to protect themselves when they can, even if they can't in their home state.

Here's Utah's website reciprocity/recognition list. Although there are many states that will recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit, the State of Utah has formal reciprocity (written agreement) with the following states.

Alabama
    Alaska
    Colorado
    Florida

Georgia
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    South Dakota
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington State
    West Virginia

Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

California
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Kansas
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Oregon
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina

Here's a link to the above information. I edited the list by adding the red highlights. The states shown in red do not accept the Utah permit when held by a nonresident of Utah. The states shown in Green do not accept any Utah permit.

Please get your information from the source. There are several privately owned websites that may not be kept up to date. Those sites will not help you if you have to go to court. Verify everything using the States website.

Yea i travel from md to nj every weelend my house is in jersey my parents are in md lmao so im screwed either way i supposed thanks a bunch guys dang old maryland needs to hurry up. Thankyou for the information gentlemen

lseries

Dec 11, 2011

This is true, of course.

However, I got mine as much to make a political statement as anything else. The more people who have CCW's of any kind, the more politicians will pay attention to people who support the right of individuals to keep and bear arms. A CCW leaves a very official record of how many people are pro-gun. Otherwise the numbers mostly come from surveys and other kinds of guesstimates and thus their accuracy is easier to question.

The license itself and the required training are not, in the grand scheme of things, expensive. So, frankly, I urge everyone who is eligible to get a permit, Utah or otherwise.

BTW, I took my training from Mdeng and can't say enough good about it. He kept the class interesting and even took good care of me when Utah rejected my prints the first time around. I have no affiliation with his business other than that of a satisfied customer, and the only price break I got was for being an NRA member.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    ... I got mine as much to make a political statement as anything else. The more people who have CCW's of any kind, the more politicians will pay attention to people who support the right of individuals to keep and bear arms. A CCW leaves a very official record of how many people are pro-gun. Otherwise the numbers mostly come from surveys and other kinds of guesstimates and thus their accuracy is easier to question.

Good point. I hadn't bothered before but I might have to get it after all.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    Well yu can at least carry in Delaware with a Utah permit. But there is a lot of good info in the Utah course. If you are in North East then one of Parbreak's classes at Freestate would probably be the closest for you.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Yea i travel from md to nj every weelend my house is in jersey my parents are in md lmao so im screwed either way i supposed thanks a bunch guys dang old maryland needs to hurry up. Thankyou for the information gentlemen

NJ & MD I feel for you, that is a bad combo

Hahaha thanks.

Sean ill look into it. I sat through a class in michigan but nevet got my permit. And not trying to be cocky or an asshat but being a firearms instructor in the military it seemed like it was the same matetial i teach otbers

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't have any knowledge of Mich required classwork.

My Utah class was from an instructor (excellent) who is not an IP ( but is affilated with a Club that is well represented here) . But the class outlines are each approved by Utah BCI , and there should be a high degree of consistancy of content.

It is not very much about How to go bang. It IS an excellent one day class in the carrying of firearms in public.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    Mdeng is correct. Verify everything you read on a government website. If you want to know if a state honors your permit/license check your own state and the state that they say they honor. I have seen states list states in error. I have seen Arkansas List Massachusetts as a state that would honor a AR Permit/License. I have seen North Dakota list Massachusetts as a state that would honor the ND Permit/license. This was on their state websites. ND corrected it when I advised them of their error in 15 minutes. It took AR 6 months to remove MA from the list of states they stated would honor their permit/license.

So check both states to make sure. I try to put links to state websites so you can confirm the laws in each states. Some states put out tons of info while others don't. But do confirm. You are the one who will pay the consequences if someone post something in error.

Also be aware that some states actually put disclaimers on their websites stating this information is believed to be correct but is not law. So be careful.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Alabama
    Alaska
    Colorado
    Florida

Georgia
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    South Dakota
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington State
    West Virginia

Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

California
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Kansas
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Oregon
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina

What is the meaning of the red?

Bigrascal

Sep 7, 2012
    Chase

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Alabama
    Alaska
    Colorado
    Florida

Georgia
    Louisiana
    Mississippi
    New Hampshire
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    South Dakota
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington State
    West Virginia

Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Vermont
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming

California
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Kansas
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    Oregon
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina

What is the meaning of the red?

The States listed in Red do not accept the Utah Permit when held by a non resident of Utah.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Mdeng is correct. Verify everything you read on a government website. If you want to know if a state honors your permit/license check your own state and the state that they say they honor. I have seen states list states in error. I have seen Arkansas List Massachusetts as a state that would honor a AR Permit/License. I have seen North Dakota list Massachusetts as a state that would honor the ND Permit/license. This was on their state websites. ND corrected it when I advised them of their error in 15 minutes. It took AR 6 months to remove MA from the list of states they stated would honor their permit/license.

So check both states to make sure. I try to put links to state websites so you can confirm the laws in each states. Some states put out tons of info while others don't. But do confirm. You are the one who will pay the consequences if someone post something in error.

Also be aware that some states actually put disclaimers on their websites stating this information is believed to be correct but is not law. So be careful.

Thank you Gary.

I have also seen privately owned web sites make mistakes. For example one site keep NV listed as a Reciprocity state with UT for 4 months after NV had dropped the UT reciprocity.

One of my customers ran into major problems in NV when he used that private site. Had he checked UT or NV's web sites he would have known not to carry in NV with his UT permit.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Aside from the carry privileges afforded by the permit, just having exposure to the information in the course itself it a plus for many people.

I've done a number of classes in Pa. where there is no training requirement to get a permit. You would be surprised how many people with guns and permits know nothing about safety or their guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom