• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As far as being heavy I am starting to realize that the situation where these are needed won't last long. Either it'll be over and I can take them off, or I didn't make it. I just can't envision a situation where I would be in these for days/weeks on end.

I think that's my mindset as well. I'm not going on a "mission" with this. It's standing my ground at home, and maybe wearing under something if things are getting dicey in public.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I think that's my mindset as well. I'm not going on a "mission" with this. It's standing my ground at home, and maybe wearing under something if things are getting dicey in public.
    Projecting force is expensive in many ways.

Look at the “retirement age” and think about humping a ruck and plate carriers and ammo, fighting for days on end, eating crap and sleeping on a curb...

Find a space you can and will defend with some hope of success. Find some folks you can and do trust to have your back.

Dig in.

#gotEtool

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cinch the vest so your hips take the weight. Wear it around the Undisclosed Location for conditioning. Gets easy pretty quick.

If I was able to walk 1.5 miles and climb a 3 story staircase every day in full battle rattle, you should be able to wear the plates for an extended period of time. Granted, I was wearing K-9 plates...

Regarding the AR500 Reddit thread, OP is a co-worker. Grunt and former NC Highway Patrol.

*****Omg, I cannot believe how heavy the carrier and armor is on one of my military friends rigs. It's steel plates with ceramic something or others and padding behind it to keep his innards from getting smooshed from the energy blasts of getting shot, etc... He wore that thing out in Iraq and Afghanistan, along with a cup and his uniform, mags, and a lot of other stuff. I bet he's carrying 80 lbs of stuff on him including his rifle and sidearm! Wearing that has got to *suck* on hot days in the sun! Probably sucks less than NOT having it and getting shot but geez that armor is HEAVY. He doesn't have to march much but he's had to run before to get to cover and he's not gonna break any land speed records with that thing on!

Makes my rig seem downright *light* but I only have protection for my chest and back versus a lot more coverage.

Someone else said it: around here, you probably won't need to wear your armor long as you will either be dead, or whatever got you to need to put it on is over fast.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I’m getting my carrier all set up, I hope I never need it, but i’m going to use it quit a bit for exercise and conditioning. Its a great weighted vest

Anyways, whats the recommended IFAK for a carrier?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I need to find a morale patch for my carrier that’s funny and offensive but won’t be labeled “exhibit A” in court should I have to defend myself.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I need to find a morale patch for my carrier that’s funny and offensive but won’t be labeled “exhibit A” in court should I have to defend myself.
    https://www.tacticaldistributors.co...ttle-this-patch-has-been-deleted-morale-patch

https://www.tacticaldistributors.co...orge-costanza-professional-model-morale-patch

These are good. TD gets a lot of good ones in, but they sell out fast.

Also I order a lot of work things via TD. I ordered so much stuff from them one year that out of the blue, they sent me a Christmas Coffee mug around the Holidays.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    My AR500 Veritas carrier showed up Saturday. I like it. Low profile and will sit high enough so I can wear a battle belt in conjunction with it. I added a 6 mag kangaroo pouch from Spartan Tactical. Still waiting on the III+ plates to show. This is my second rig from AR500. The Veritas is very inexpensive, but I will be buying the Cummerbund kit as the belt style straps leave too much wiggle room.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I was wondering what I could get to prevent that whole "protester" shoots through the rear window while you escape thing from happening (as seen recently) and the best I could find is this panel that can strap to the back of your car seat. Does anyone know of anything else that could up armor the seat of a car? If I went this route I would probably also get some quality (standard from Amazon) single piece pull over seat covers to go over the seat and the panel to hide it.

https://bulletsafe.com/products/the-protect-o-panel-the-worlds-most-versatile-bulletproof-panel

Seems to me that you'd be better off just draping a backpack with a panel inside it over the back of your seat. Not as much coverage but easier/cheaper and you'd attract much less attention.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Seems to me that you'd be better off just draping a backpack with a panel inside it over the back of your seat. Not as much coverage but easier/cheaper and you'd attract much less attention.

*****That's actually not a bad idea but I'd be concerned about the backpack attracting attention from thieves if you leave it in the vehicle all of the time.

One of my range friends, who I've always thought to be a bit paranoid but who now seems to me to be an absolute genius put one of his old 11X14 plates into the back of his car seat. The cover literally zips off his seat once the headrest is removed, I guess to make it easier to replace, and the plate just slips right in and is held in place by the cover and the sturdy map pocket in the back. Seems to work well and the plate hasn't poked through or torn his seat up, etc... He used a bit of strap leather and taped it to the edges of the lower plate and along the bottom for further insurance against tearing the seat back up.

He also slipped another plate between the backing of the rear bench seat and the backrest portion of the seat itself. It looks no different than usual and you can't really tell anything is there unless you look really closely.

Dunno if he hates his wife or what as her seat (the passenger side) has no plate mounted in it, and he tells me it's because he only had two plates... :innocent0

Anyway, I thought it was creative genius as nobody can see there's a flippin' ceramic and polyethylene plate behind his seat, and nothing other than a bright target and All Lives Matter bumper sticker behind his wife's seat (kidding!).

The way things have been going recently, my friends paranoia has me wondering if *I'm* the crazy one for not having the same setup in my cars. Some of the videos I've seen are downright scary with armed folks shooting at cars.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I’m getting my carrier all set up, I hope I never need it, but i’m going to use it quit a bit for exercise and conditioning. Its a great weighted vest

Anyways, whats the recommended IFAK for a carrier?

Roll your own. Much cheaper and can be better tailored to your needs/training. Bonus points if you have a FSA card to use to by the goodies. I spent $200 on my FSA card at Rescue Essentials. I outfitted 6 kits plus leftovers for resupply. I vacuum packed the contents and voila, instant compact IFAKS.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Roll your own. Much cheaper and can be better tailored to your needs/training. Bonus points if you have a FSA card to use to by the goodies. I spent $200 on my FSA card at Rescue Essentials. I outfitted 6 kits plus leftovers for resupply. I vacuum packed the contents and voila, instant compact IFAKS.

I spent about an hour on line last night looking around and came to the same conclusion. I’m going to roll my own :thumbsup:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My AR500 Veritas carrier showed up Saturday. I like it. Low profile and will sit high enough so I can wear a battle belt in conjunction with it. I added a 6 mag kangaroo pouch from Spartan Tactical. Still waiting on the III+ plates to show. This is my second rig from AR500. The Veritas is very inexpensive, but I will be buying the Cummerbund kit as the belt style straps leave too much wiggle room.
    I have a Gen2 Testudo that I got for the introductory price. I think it was less than $100. I haven’t worn it a ton, but it is nice. Sure I’d take my JPC or Velocity Scarab over it, but the Testudo works great for what it is.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I have a Gen2 Testudo that I got for the introductory price. I think it was less than $100. I haven’t worn it a ton, but it is nice. Sure I’d take my JPC or Velocity Scarab over it, but the Testudo works great for what it is.

I'm looking at a JPC, but with lead times I grabbed what I could that I knew I had success with in the past. One of these days I'll grab the better carrier and move everything over to it. :thumbsup:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    We don’t discuss body armor enough on this forum. All these deals have been out there in the past few years and I don’t recall seeing any threads about in stock armor deals. Maybe a body armor sub forum is in order.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    We don’t discuss body armor enough on this forum. All these deals have been out there in the past few years and I don’t recall seeing any threads about in stock armor deals. Maybe a body armor sub forum is in order.

I agree...I started looking recently and most seem to be out of stock. Add the fact i'm ignorant somewhat when it comes to the stuff, doesn't bode well for me

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I agree...I started looking recently and most seem to be out of stock. Add the fact i'm ignorant somewhat when it comes to the stuff, doesn't bode well for me

Seems like armor has been a big hole in the MDS attention span.

The owner of my gym was talking about getting a suppressor for his home defense AR; I suggested that he get body armor first.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Seems like armor has been a big hole in the MDS attention span.

The owner of my gym was talking about getting a suppressor for his home defense AR; I suggested that he get body armor first.

Not this guy. I've a one rig for about 6 years. Just added a second. Once I can stomach the lead times, I'll upgrade my primary carrier to the JPC. The plates I'll keep with the III+'s that I have

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom