• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TigerWoody

Master Baiter
    Oct 23, 2011
    Baltimore
    So I recently got more into large and smallmouth bass fishing since I am now single. I wanted a jon boat but I live downtown so I don't have that much storage for a boat. I ended up buying a 10 foot wilderness fishing kayak to fish out of and store locked up in my small yard. I been to Lake Roland, Scott's Cove (5 dollar launch fee), and Centennial Lake (5 dollar launch fee). Anyone recommend anywhere else that is kayak friendly, where the daily permit is cheap or free, the area is quiet, and is dog friendly (she loves sitting on the bow while paddling), thats a reasonable drive from downtown, and has big bass in it? Thanks.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Definitely recommend the Gunpowder River out of mariner point park! Fish the tide changes. I fish from Scott's cove a lot and always do well. Pig tail launch for triadelphia reservoir is nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    If you can make your way to Perryville Park it is free and has a dedicated kayak launch. You literally launch in the cove of the river. Always bass fishing and kayak fishing going on in there.

Exit 93 off of I-95 then a 5 minute drive to the park.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Depends on your definition of a "reasonable drive". Deer Creek in HarCo is probably calm enough to be dog friendly. The Susquehanna is definitely bass friendly, but I'm not sure I would take the dog out on the kayak in the river.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Monocacy out in Frederick has some good small mouth fishing and even some muskies in the pool above the old mill dam in Buckeystown. It's a good float trip and an easy one (only two rapids, one of which is the breached mill dam at Buckeystown, the other down river near the Monocacy Natural Resource Area is little more than some riffles and waves) with plenty of take-outs and put-ins with no fee. You can even wade-fish the battlefield when the water is low enough like it is right now.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Worth it

What about the Upper Potomac? Harpers Ferry area to Point of Rocks. To far?

I like Nolands ferry on the Potomac. Around the backsides of the islands. Landers below Brunswick and up from there.
    Bit of a drive for you but loads of fun. Free!
    Smallmouth, walleye, sunfish

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Hard to beat the Susky in the deer creek area. Lots of paddlers and great fishing! Does your dog swim? Also, Mariner point in joppatown was mentioned earlier. Very easy to paddle, free, and closer to you.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Conowingo. Incredible bass fishing and a lot of eagles to watch. Just wait till the water cools another 5 degrees or so.

TigerWoody

Master Baiter
    Oct 23, 2011
    Baltimore
    So I went to Mariner State Park on Sunday...loved it so much I went back on labor day. I didn't catch anything either day, but the dog and I had a great paddle. plenty of places to paddle and shaded areas to take a break from the sun for the dog. the people were sooooo friendly too. living in the city, i wasnt use to the friendliness and helpfulness. when I first went on Sunday I was confused on what was fresh water for largemouth and what was brackish (saw people catching crabs close to the docks). I met a real nice family they told me to paddle to the "Quarry". one of the kids caught a eight pound LM there and had the pics to prove it. It was a hour paddle into athe quarry which seemed to be a fresh water pond. I didn't catch anything there either but still had fun. I was using senkos, spinners, buzzbaits, and cranks. I saw so many different birds, and a hummingbird actually hovered over my head. after that day I met someone else that says the bass love dark colored jigs...I will be going back there for sure. the only thing I didn't like is that the mosquitos are vicious after 730pm by the kayak launch and when it gets dark, the weed smokers begin to drive in and lurk the parking lot.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    As soon as I saw this thread, I was thinking Mariner Point. It used to be my favorite canoeing venue.
    To get to the quarry from the boat ramp, you paddled out to what I call The Big Water, turned right and the right again in what is kind of a big U turn. If you turn right at The Big Water and go past where you went in to the second inlet on the right, you'll be in The Gunpowder (the Big one, I think) and can go further up that the quarry. There had been a way to cut across from the quarry route into The Gunpowder, but it got blocked by fallen trees. I haven't been there in years, but I have seen bass up there. Depending on water levels and your stamina, you can get to the Rt40 bridge.

I don't recommend turning left at The Big Water. There is the edge of something associated with APG (Edgewood Arsenal, maybe) with a lot of "Unexploded Ordnance, Keep Away" type signs. If you go up the creek on that side, it goes kinda through a neighborhood and runs out of water. I found it to be populated and disappointing.

I've never ventured past the RR bridge. My buddy and I paddled out to it on a windy day...and it was a struggle getting back.

If the boat ramp is crowded, there used to be a place to put in a kayak or canoe further in the park along the trailer parking lot. You kind of had to fall down the hill to get to the water, which made it especially challenging to get back up if it was muddy.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    you can do pretty well out on loch raven. need a permit to use your own kayak. have to get them at fishing center. I recommend calling to establish the procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom