• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Don't get me started on the inaccuracies, distortions, and absurd conclusions.

June 22, 2023

Dear Neighbor,

I went off script this week.

I was speaking at a press conference with Mayor Buckley, Senator Elfreth, Delegate Henson, Health Officer Gedin and others about what we are doing to prevent gun violence.

I started by recounting Sunday’s Father’s Day vigil with the Mireles and Segovia families. Then I shared my recollection of the Capital Gazette editorial board calling on all candidates in the election five years ago to explain what they’d do to prevent the next mass shooting. That was after the one that took place in their newsroom, killing five of their beloved staff.

I then dutifully described our work: our declaration of gun violence as a public health issue, our creation of the Gun Violence Intervention Team, the 1,468 gun locks we’ve distributed at libraries since April through our pilot program, the safety literature we require gun retailers to distribute, the promotion and successful use of Extreme Risk Protective Orders (red flag), and the violence interruption programs in our budget. The other speakers described the important work they are doing to save lives at the city and state levels and in our Department of Health.

Then Mayor Buckley called for questions from the half-dozen reporters in the room, and there was silence. That’s when I stepped back to the podium.

“I have something else to say,” I said. “I’m going off script here.”

I said we couldn’t succeed at just the local level. I said I was frustrated, that we’re all frustrated, and I called on Congress to do its job.

Maryland lost 72 children to gun violence in 2021, and we lost 45 to automobile accidents. Those were the top two causes of childhood death.

Cars are dangerous, but less than they used to be. They’re regulated. We have road safety standards, car safety standards, driver’s licenses, and traffic laws to prevent cars from killing us. Those regulations save thousands of lives, despite the fact that not everyone complies with them.

Guns are also dangerous, but state and federal law preempts counties from regulating them. Maryland’s standard for getting a permit to carry was ruled unconstitutional by an out-of-touch Supreme Court last year, and now more people are carrying their firearms in public places. Shootings are up in our county this year.

Our country had an assault weapons ban in place for a decade and it worked. When Congress repealed it, mass shootings increased.

We have more guns than people in this country, and you don’t need to read the studies to understand that suicide attempts and personal conflicts are far more likely to end in death when there is a gun around.

The Capital Gazette killer was known to be a threat and should not have been able to purchase a gun legally, but he did. The man who shot 6 neighbors at the Mireles birthday party last week and killed three had a history that should have disqualified him from firearm ownership, but he had both a semi-automatic handgun and a long gun.

We do our gun violence prevention work at the local level because our neighbors are dying, but we’re up against an industry that profits from convincing people that they need more guns, and deadlier guns. Their campaigns are working, and more people are dying.

Failure by lawmakers to regulate firearms - as they do cars, drugs, and just about everything else that has proven to be a threat to public health - is a failure of leadership and an act of cowardice, regardless of party affiliation. Public safety is the most sacred obligation of government, and they are failing us.

I say these things as a gun owner who knows the power of these weapons. I got a pellet gun for Christmas as a child and cherished it, I shot clay pigeons with my grandfather, and I inherited my father’s 22-caliber revolver, which I’ve used to euthanize injured deer, a goat, and horses whose suffering was terminal. I keep that gun in a safe, and will never carry it in a public place because its very presence on my body puts me and the people around me at risk.

We need to get guns off our streets.​
    52bc4243-738e-4b6f-b39b-0c5968ac01d7.png
    Steuart Pittman
    Anne Arundel County Executive​
    S.gif

Last edited:

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    “I started by recounting Sunday’s Father’s Day vigil with the Mireles and Segovia families. Then I shared my recollection of the Capital Gazette editorial board calling on all candidates in the election five years ago to explain what they’d do to prevent the next mass shooting. That was after the one that took place in their newsroom, killing five of their beloved staff.”

Arm your staff?

Armed guards and metal detectors at the entrance?

:shrug:

If you cared, really cared.

Instead, more BS and more death.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    hodgepodge, I read your initial message.

I did not have to read anything out of Pittman's pie hole. From what I can say of my knowledge of the man and the rest of the "sell job" he put forth in the rest of his anti gun message, I know my next words will hit the bulls eye.

Pittman is the lowest of anti American scum to rival the trash in DC who also seek to undermine our country.
    His ilk need to be stopped at all costs. It truly makes me sick to know I've spent 57 of 59 years in a state that hates all I stand for.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Cars are dangerous, but less than they used to be. They’re regulated. We have road safety standards, car safety standards, driver’s licenses, and traffic laws to prevent cars from killing us. Those regulations save thousands of lives, despite the fact that not everyone complies with them.
    I'll begin here.

He is right about one thing. However, regulations do not save lives. People who have mastered the safe use of a motor vehicle, defensive drivers save lives, while offensive, law breaking and reckless drivers with no regard for how they may kill, mame and destroy lives of strangers, lives of mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, friends and family.

It is not the car or the driver or the laws that save pr end the lives. IT is the result of all who follow safe driving practices and concern for every other motorist on the road during the duration of every trip behind the wheel that saves life.

Failure by lawmakers to regulate firearms - as they do cars, drugs, and just about everything else that has proven to be a threat to public health - is a failure of leadership and an act of cowardice, regardless of party affiliation. Public safety is the most sacred obligation of government, and they are failing us.

Here again, Pittman gets it partially right.

" Failure by lawmakers to enforce to the fullest extent, the laws that are already on the books, as they should do, cars, drugs, illegal immigration, Pay for play politics and Weaponized DOJ... has proven to be a threat to public health. AND YES it is a failure of leadership, and act of cowardice, regardless of party...

Pittman claims that the most sacred obligation of Gov't is public safety. Anyone know his stance on Abortion? I guarantee he believes in Pro Choice in all it's forms and tactics and fatal results by the millions. Way more deadly than any firearm use.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Guess if he is ever, unfortunately for us, elected governor he will have unarmed MSP bodyguards.

Why is he afraid to say society's real problem is men who won't be fathers their children?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I believe him when he says , him carrying a gun puts others in danger because he is a loon in the first degree. I dislike these idiots.

I thought the same thing, Dave.
    The government ( beaurocracy) , schools, BIG and some small businesses, are all too riddled with the WOKE, the crooked and the soft on crime leaders, that even if guns were totally outlawed, they would still find ways to blame the law abiding for all the crime and killings from the drug cartels, common street thugs and the depraved serial rapists, child molesters and killers.
    Why is he afraid to say society's real problem is men who won't be fathers their children?

This is, one of the largest factors of all this crime today. Fatherless homes and the disintegration of multi generational families. Couple that with rampant poor examples of a work ethic and disrespect for authority, disrespect for the value of life, and man's dark side of depravity being celebrated instead of a thing of horror and disdain.

Faith in God being vilified is also high on the list of the ills of American society.

I could say much more, but I am sure it has been stated a zillion times in the forum elsewhere.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Yeah. He's the same guy that blamed carry holders and the Bruen a decision when the idiot (Brandon Carroll) shot his gun in Arundel Mills when he was adjusting his waist band and didn’t have a permit.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Yeah. He's the same guy that blamed carry holders and the Bruen a decision when the idiot (Brandon Carroll) shot his gun in Arundel Mills when he was adjusting his waist band and didn’t have a permit.
    I had not heard of the ND in Arundel Mills, but so much bad shit happens there that I don’t even pay attention to news from there any longer. Only go there during the week, and before noon.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This heartless, stupid m*therf*cker euthanized a horse with a .22 pistol? I wonder how that went. I’ve seen a hog shot in the head with one and keep eating….

The lies people tell when virtue signaling are beyond the pale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom