• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    hello everyone...

I just got a Type 56 sks the other day. Just had the chance to take a look see and get it cleaned up. Upon cracking it open I found pitting on several places. Trigger group, mag, and some other smaller parts like the trap door, butt plate, etc. The attached images were before the cosmo clean out but I wiped them down enough to get the images. The trigger group looks a bit deep. The mag not so much. The rifle was so thick in cosmo I found it hard to believe it had rust let alone pitting on it. I want the keep the original parts of course. The stock is cracked (bought it knowing it was one of cracked stocked SKS's that were being sold at a discount) but is repairable. The stock has some interesting 'trench art' if you will. Name scratched in the stock. I doubt if the pitting can be removed without grinding or something but as long as I can be sure the rust is done I will be happy with it. The bore is in very nice shape. I have never reblued something but I guess if I need to learn this would probably be a good one to start with. Or perhaps another coating type to protect it?

Attachments

• DSCF5149.jpg
      DSCF5149.jpg
      101.9 KB · Views: 551
    • DSCF5150.jpg
      DSCF5150.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 385
    • DSCF5153.jpg
      DSCF5153.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 357
    • DSCF5157.jpg
      DSCF5157.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 442
    • DSCF5158.jpg
      DSCF5158.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 355

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    I would get some evaporust and soak it in there for a bit. It isnt harmful to finishes normally and only removes rust.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Clean it , oil it , put it back together and shoot the shit out of it . That pitting won't hurt anything and you can't see it when it is assembled .

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I would get some evaporust and soak it in there for a bit. It isnt harmful to finishes normally and only removes rust.

Clean it , oil it , put it back together and shoot the shit out of it . That pitting won't hurt anything and you can't see it when it is assembled .

Bingo! Don't try to grind it. Stop the rust and conserve the metal. The pitting isn't going to hurt anything.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    +1 on leaving it the way it is. If it functions ok, all those scars are part of its history, and what makes it desireable.

Aren't we allowed to see the trench art carving on the stock? Pretty please? :D

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    +1 on leaving it the way it is. If it functions ok, all those scars are part of its history, and what makes it desireable.

Aren't we allowed to see the trench art carving on the stock? Pretty please? :D

Thanks for the input. I have cleaned and oiled, and lubed it so I just need to finish the stock. I will leave it the way it is. I will post photos of the stock when I am done. The name of "LUAN" is carved in the stock and another name on the lower hand grip under the barrel.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Evporust, while GREAT, will remove bluing (which is a type of 'rust' believe it or not). x2, just leave it alone and oil it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom