• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Same as any other upper. Mine fits and works great. Since I understand that reading is fundamental I would like to read about either of your personal experiences with piston AR's. I assume you both have owned one or more and have had bad experiences with them?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Same as any other upper. Mine fits and works great. Since I understand that reading is fundamental I would like to read about either of your personal experiences with piston AR's. I assume you both have owned one or more and have had bad experiences with them?

No, I was just being obnoxious. :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It'll work just fine.

I DO have personal experience running a piston upper on various lowers, and haven't had any issue doing so.

That said, I have to admit I sold the piston upper and went back to DGIS shortly after.

Dec 6, 2011
    I run a couple DI guns in 5.56 and 7.62, an Adams/Spikes piston in 5.56 and 20" REPR piston in 7.62. I like my pistons because they are low maintenance and run a lot cleaner. There are merits to both and I appreciate them for what they are.

I have two refrigerators. They both keep food cold and I have no complaints. The newer one doesn't have to be unplugged and defrosted. The older one has been in the family since the 50's and never needed service. I like them both but for different reasons.

DI vs Piston is a lot the same.

One recommendation, if you run a piston, use one with a rail. It gives you some protection in the event of a piston rod failure. If it's fast enough to work the bolt, it's fast enough to work your face.

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    No, I was just being obnoxious. :D

I understand the entertainment value of the kidding that goes on here in this community. But the constant hammering of AR pistons, Kimber 1911s, .40 caliber handguns, American made Sigs really isn't all that helpful for members trying to get well informed information regarding purchases which is one of the great things about this forum.

It'll work just fine.

I DO have personal experience running a piston upper on various lowers, and haven't had any issue doing so.

That said, I have to admit I sold the piston upper and went back to DGIS shortly after.

Brad I would be interested to hear why you got rid of the upper?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I understand the entertainment value of the kidding that goes on here in this community. But the constant hammering of AR pistons, Kimber 1911s, .40 caliber handguns, American made Sigs really isn't all that helpful for members trying to get well informed information regarding purchases which is one of the great things about this forum.

...I commented on the requested information prior to the sarcasm. Shall I go sit in the corner?:rolleyes:

Dec 6, 2011
    The biggest downfall to pistons is parts compatibility. The units are all proprietary and figuring out piston/rail combinations is taxing. Also, replacement parts have to be purchased from just one company. It isn't as easy as hitting Brownells/Midway/Bravo/etc when you are looking for a proprietary part.

Just thinking about it............it's a lot like owning anything made by HK. I love 'em but I get used to hitting the "notify me when available" button.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Piston Guns suck?

M14,M1,M1A,M60,M249,mini14,mini30,AK variants, SCAR 16, SCAR 17, Sig 516,Sig 517, AC556, LWRC as well as many other high end AR manufacturers.

I could continue the list, but you get the point. Pistons guns are different but certainly do not suck. Piston driven ar's operate cleaner and run cooler.

Both work, neither suck.

Just few more, HK416 and MR556.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Piston Guns suck?

M14,M1,M1A,M60,M249,mini14,mini30,AK variants, SCAR 16, SCAR 17, Sig 516,Sig 517, AC556, LWRC as well as many other high end AR manufacturers.

I could continue the list, but you get the point. Pistons guns are different but certainly do not suck. Piston driven ar's operate cleaner and run cooler.

Both work, neither suck.

40's are still ghey.

There are other such things people like to tease others about that aren't necessarily true. It's usually said in jest.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I have a 556 so I have shot them, but looking for some uppers for lonely lowers, and piston is available.

You have to get used to the sarcasm here, while some are sarcastic others are just opinionated dicks

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Piston Guns suck?

Both work, neither suck.

Just few more, HK416 and MR556.

:thumbsup:

Run both and love both. Neither suck.

Both exist and both sale. Proof enough that they work. Try it and post your review if you get it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad I would be interested to hear why you got rid of the upper?

In all honesty, I got bored with it. There's also other factors that came into play in that decision, but the main reason was boredom.

I did have some teething issues in the beginning, but nothing that took too much work to get it running as it should. Once those teething issues were ironed out, it was a boringly reliable upper (when the user wasn't inducing failures anyways... :o). The accuracy loss wasn't as exaggerated as some claim, but you (for me anyways) do lose just a touch of accuracy with the piston upper vs DGIS.

It was a fun upper for sure, I never tried to fire an AR in a creek (submerged) until I had the piston upper around.

If they ever can agree to a common design, I think they might be more accepted than they are currently.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    There's alot of high school volatility involved whenever a question about a piston, a .40, or a glock or 1911 is mentioned. Broken records chime in with the "gay" and "sucks" comments. I'm guilty as well.

The bottom line is, one persons opinion, or several are still just opinions. If you like it, and want to shoot it then buy it. People told me SAA's are gay and not practical anymore. Ok? Neither is black powder. Point is, if you like a piston buy one. New people come one here and get blasted by 65 people repeating the words of a single person or few people. It's old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom