• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Speaking from my own experience, a usp or an fnx 9 would fit the bill. I have both, I prefer the erogs of the fnx, but the usp without a doubt has a better trigger.

Fnx holds more rounds, both are more accurate than I am. I have never had a problem with either.

The fnx also has ambi controls

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Kids. You might want to add to your list of mandatory features grips that can be adjusted for size. A number of pistols fit that bill.

I own an M&P 9mm, and those have three backstrap options. It is striker fired so no decocking option, but you can get a slide safety on it.

The lady in my life was a bit frustrated with the PPK/S, because they are rough to rack, and the blowback operation makes you feel more recoil than a .380 ought to, perhaps due to the design of the backstrap. Based on what she said she wanted I thought she would end up with something small in 9mm.

But, on Sat we went to a gun show and she quickly gravitated to the HK P30. Together we put 200 rounds through it yesterday. This is one amazing pistol. The grip has 3 backstrap options, as well as 3 options for the side panels. We changed nothing on the first outing. My normal 8 inch groups were instantly 3 inch groups with the first mag. She too was dead on it.

The P30 has a decocker and your other list of needs, except for a safety. Very expensive, in the $950 area. But all I can say is I am impressed. Very.

TrevorWills

May 20, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Since its for yourself and your kids I would go with the smaller grip of the Beretta Storm or even better the 9mm 1911 models out there. Though with the sub $600 price tag might just wanna hold off on that 1911.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of the FNX9 and CZ75 Phantom. Someone brought up a good point about grip size for when my kids use it. Can anyone advise on how these two compare to a Berreta M9? Hats a good reference for me since I used to carry one. Thanks again for your help! :thumbsup:

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of the FNX9 and CZ75 Phantom. Someone brought up a good point about grip size for when my kids use it. Can anyone advise on how these two compare to a Berreta M9? Hats a good reference for me since I used to carry one. Thanks again for your help! :thumbsup:

I don't have a beretta so I can't speak on that, but the fnx series comes with 3 or 4 backstraps.

USP's are enormous.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    One more for the cz p-07. Just got one for the fiance and we both enjoy shooting it. Can with tritium sights too

Another vote for a CZ P07. Very good gun that points easy, light weight and low bore axis that makes it easy to stay on target.
    Very good gun for the money ($500) and more accurate then everything in it's price point except for another CZ.

As far as the grip goes most CZs have the ability to be nearly one size fits all. I don't know how CZ does it but it will fit most hands.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Another vote for the HK USP, especially the Compact. 9/357sig/40 barrel is 3.58". One big advantage of the 357SIG or .40S&W is that not only can you get the other caliber barrel as the only part you need to shoot the other caliber, you can buy an EFK stainless 9mm barrel and shoot 9mm out of the same mags as the 357SIG and .40S&W. All the other guns out there that have that option (Sigs for instance) require you to buy 9mm mags to make it work. And the USP-C can be carried either cocked and locked or decocked and safety on. Ambidextrous safeties are available. I think the P2000 can be setup the same. Nice thing about a gun that shoots 3 different calibers is you can often find ammo to shoot in it that you might not find in a single caliber firearm. I use the HK in IDPA SSP in 9mm, but CCW it in 357 Sig.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    The HK's are good choices.... but pricey. My suggestion would be the FNX-9. Has every single feature that you're looking for, decent price, comes with three 17 round magazines.

Cocked and locked's don't have decockers. That said the EAA Witness line of CZ75 clones are an incredible switch slide/caliber package.

The FNX-9 can cocked and locked OR in DAO mode and it does have a decocker. I'm not aware of any other handguns that are capable of these features.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Cocked and locked's don't have decockers. That said the EAA Witness line of CZ75 clones are an incredible switch slide/caliber package.

The USP can...all mine are :) (V1/V2 RH/LH with external hammer, DA/SA with safety lever that is up for CAL, centered for fire, down for decock)

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD

This is not true for the USP's. You can cock the gun, hammer back, and put the safety on it. Push the safety all the way down will decock hammer.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    HK USP Compact or Full Size depending on what feels better in your hand.

And you can find an HK USP for $600 or less? HK web site shows USP compact MSRP at around $1000 and up.

It seems like most of these recommendations all go along the line of brand xx meets all your requirements EXCEPT for (fill in the blank).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom