• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I'll be taking a friend to the range for his first time shooting any type of firearm. From what I understand a .22 is probably something I should start with. I'm wondering about a couple of things. Pistol or rifle? Suppressed or not? Eventually both I'm thinking. He wants to shoot an AR and 9 mm too. I don't have suppressors for those calibers. Thoughts?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Bolt action .22 rifle.

Work up to semi auto rifle and handgun in that order.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I'll be taking a friend to the range for his first time shooting any type of firearm. From what I understand a .22 is probably something I should start with. I'm wondering about a couple of things. Pistol or rifle? Suppressed or not? Eventually both I'm thinking. He wants to shoot an AR and 9 mm too. I don't have suppressors for those calibers. Thoughts?
    What type of range? Public, private, other shooters there? If you’ll be alone, then suppressors might be cool, but on a range with others shooting near you, suppressors are kind of pointless - IMHO. It’s gonna be super loud no matter what, the lanes next to you will scare your friend sufficiently if it’s the sound you’re worried about.

Have fun and good on you for bringing another shooter into the community.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Bolt action .22 rifle.

Work up to semi auto rifle and handgun in that order.
    I agree. Bolt .22, semi .22 (10-22, M-60, Nylon 66), .22 single action revolver, .22 semi like Walther P22 or .22 conversion on a medium size handgun

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would start with a safety and handling orientation. Once on the range, a 22 either bolt rifle or revolver. Let him work up to the 45-70.
    For me, it all depends on the person. I stated my sons girlfriend with a 22 rifle, then 223, then 308. The last time we went, I took thumper, my 1895 trapper model level. She put 2 rounds down range and went back to the AR.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    What type of range? Public, private, other shooters there? If you’ll be alone, then suppressors might be cool, but on a range with others shooting near you, suppressors are kind of pointless - IMHO. It’s gonna be super loud no matter what, the lanes next to you will scare your friend sufficiently if it’s the sound you’re worried about.

Have fun and good on you for bringing another shooter into the community.
    It's a private range. Usually no one there especially during the week which is when we will be going. If I start with a rifle I have to start at the 25 yard range. I guess I could also do pistols from there but I'd probably want to move to the 7 yard range for that. 25 yards with a pistol is a challenge.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    He wants to shoot an AR and 9 mm too.
    Assuming you have an AR, think about getting the .22 adapter kit - allows you to shoot .22LR from the AR by switching out the bolt & mags. 30 seconds to swap calibers.

(example)

1710656966757.jpeg

Unlock the versatility of your AR platform rifle with the CMMG .22 LR Conversion kit. Transform your firearm into a cost-effective training tool or a formidable varmint hunting companion with this convenient kit. Compatible with any mil-std upper receiver, it offers seamless integration for a hassle-free conversion experience. For optimal performance, we recommend using a round style hammer to avoid any function issues. Trust in the reliability of 36 grain plated nose bullets, proven to deliver exceptional functionality. With the added convenience of three 25-round magazines, this conversion kit is your gateway to endless shooting possibilities.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    K.I.S.S.
    You are an experienced, proficient shooter.
    They aren't.
    Think back to your first shooting experience & the things you didn't understand then & approach it from the "newbie" angle.
    I'd go with rifle in .22 RF, possibly with iron sights, or at best a fixed low power scope.
    Most of all make it fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom