• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Oy Vey

Check out the grip used my most of the top competitive shooters.

Rob Latham
    Dave Sevigney

Attachments

• rob-leatham-2-661x496.jpg
      rob-leatham-2-661x496.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 579
    • download (1).jpg
      download (1).jpg
      8.4 KB · Views: 613
    • Jerry-Miculek.jpg
      Jerry-Miculek.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 580

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Does Jerry have his left hand in front the trigger guard?

Yes he does. He puts his supporthand index finger and middle finger along the trigger guard. This gives him leverage on the gun to help control muzzle flip. It doesn't work for everyone but you can't argue with his scores and speed.

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Thats how Ive been shooting, with reccomendation of use by people that have been shooting far longer than I have

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    OK then, never seen this grip before. Looked to be too close to the slide to me and figured if the fingers hit the slide could flip the gun out of his hands.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Most likely incident would be malfunctions. The individuals pictured are pros so their grios are highly honed to perfection. If they do 'ride the slide' they probsbly have a paddle off the msinspring housing. Some have gone to a slide stop with a lever to place their thb on.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Oy Vey

Check out the grip used my most of the top competitive shooters.

Rob Latham
    Dave Sevigney

These guys all have one thing in common, low thumbs. The guy in the video had his thumbs pointing diagonally upward. It's like trying to hold on to something tightly while only using half your thumb. I understand there are people who can shoot fine with this style, but in this guy's case, you can see the gun trying to hop up out of his "open" grasp. There was one sequence where he had his thumbs low pointing straight forward and he seemed to have a little more control over the recoil.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yes he does. He puts his supporthand index finger and middle finger along the trigger guard. This gives him leverage on the gun to help control muzzle flip. It doesn't work for everyone but you can't argue with his scores and speed.

It also helps that he has hands like a catchers mitt. :lol2:

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    These guys all have one thing in common, low thumbs. The guy in the video had his thumbs pointing diagonally upward. It's like trying to hold on to something tightly while only using half your thumb. I understand there are people who can shoot fine with this style, but in this guy's case, you can see the gun trying to hop up out of his "open" grasp. There was one sequence where he had his thumbs low pointing straight forward and he seemed to have a little more control over the recoil.

Agreed

...and if take notice, the guy in the video had a failure to fire, but quickly corrected it (about the 40 second mark).

I rely on a 1911 for HD and I had a similar grip and after practice I switched it up for that reason. I have an elevated grip safety as well and I still would have the issue of not engaging it fully with that grip. I since adopter the thumb forward approach - however unnatural it feels

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I was introduced to the high thumb grip by another instructor 15 years ago. I questioned it just like many of you are. This instructor has won numerous international leo competitions and suggested that before I try to discourage it's use that I give it a try. I have been using this grip with great success ever since. It may not work for everyone but you never know until you try it. Remember the slide moves to the rear and never makes a left hand turn into my thumbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom