• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuit

Nov 10, 2015
    Frederick County
    I've been spending time trying to focus on technique - stance, trigger control, breathing, yada, yada. I've been watching videos and reading articles but wanted to ask a few questions regarding cross eye dominance. Hoping to hear some good feedback and experiment a bit on the range.

I am right hand/left eye dominant. I shoot both eyes open and grip with my strong/right hand.

However when I shoot with an in-line grip right/strong hand, my right/weak eye focuses initially. Maybe my left eye dominance is not the prevalent... Sometimes the right/weak eye will hold for a long time but sometimes I start seeing through things/double vision/can't focus as my dominant eye takes over. If I close my dominant eye it will reset and come back into focus.

When I shoot with an offset grip/isosceles stance, it's not consistent which eye focuses. Sometimes my left eye focuses first, sometimes my right eye focuses first. If my weak/right eye focuses first then the same thing happens to me where my left eye eventually takes over and I start seeing through things/double vision/etc. At this point, I have to close my eyes to reset again.

One thing that I don't understand... when I do the standard eye dominance test, it *always* come back as left eye dominant. But you can see that my weak eye often picks up first when I'm shooting.

What I'm really looking for is consistency and to eliminate when both eyes are fighting for focus and I can't achieve a good sight picture.

Am I better off trying to train my right eye to be dominant as it already picks up a fair amount of time? Advantages to this seem to be that it will be easier to shoot strong/one-handed. Biggest difficulty here is it doesn't seem stable and when my sight picture is lost accuracy suffers.

Or should I try to adjust my grip/stance so that my dominant/left eye focuses? Going to do some more experimentation with this. I read about slightly canting the gun or your head and how it would force the left eye to focus. Surprised at how well this worked in the living room w/ an empty gun but have not tried it in practice yet. Nor am I sure I want to shoot like a gangster :lol2:

Finally I've noticed that different guns and subsequently different grips naturally lean my eyes to picking up one vs the other. For instance my Ruger Mark III with the slabside grips pretty much forces an in-line grip and therefore my right eye always focuses. Any advice?

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    From minuit to midi w/ a cup of demi tasse....

I got nothin other than some form of repetitive muscle memory training, blocking the dominant eye and forcing the non dominant to take over...but I do s'pose your in the right place asking...I'll ask an optometrist friend if she has any ideas..

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    shoot with whatever eye is open/working at the time.

If you feel the need to use the "proper eye", then during slow, aimed target practice you should really have no issue concentrating on using that eye.

Faster, self defense "point shooting" you won't have the need nor the time to think about that, since the instinct to simply point at the threat kicks in and you hit center mass or thereabout.

When I shoot off hand (left) under time, I use whatever eye is open and it seems to work just fine, at least out to 15 yards.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I am left handed and right eye dominant. I taught myself to shoot right handed to try to fix it. I do a lot of things right handed anyway so it was just a matter of repetition.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Nice to know

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I taught myself to shoot right handed to try to fix it. I do a lot of things right handed anyway so it was just a matter of repetition.

That is my issue. Lefty with right eye dominance. how does it work for you with shooting a rifle?

With a pistol, I tent to brotha tilt slightly to the right with my left hand

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Do like the actors do in the movies and TV shows, close both of your eyes when they pull the trigger. All kidding aside, I am left eye dominate and shoot mostly with my right hand. I have had to close my left eye to force the right eye to align the sights. I have tried all of the techniques in the book. Nothing has worked. I just close my left eye and let the right eye focus on the sight picture. Don't know if it's wrong or not, but it works for me.

Good Luck!

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Left Handed, Right Eyed. I now shoot rifles right handed, and it's helped me a lot. With pistols I shoot both eyes open, left handed. I hold the pistol just a little to the right to help my right eye focus.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    I'm right-hand and left eye dominant also. I'll just close my right eye if needed. Been doing this for years. I'll have to pay more attention next time, to how I compensate for it.

tcfan

Jan 11, 2016
    Best advice is to experiment then practice. My problem these days is poor eyesight hard to fix that one.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I am right handed and left eye dominant too. I don't have any problems and I shoot with both eyes open. When I bring up the pistol, I get two sight pictures. I just focus on the one on the right side.

I did practice a bit and now it's second-nature.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    When starting out switching to shoot left-hand in competition, it helped if I canted the gun about 45 degrees towards my dominant (right) eye. Later on, I was able to just kind've switch to whatever eye was available behind the sights easier with practice. Try giving the gun a slight gangsta-tilt and see if it helps

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    I've been spending time trying to focus on technique - stance, trigger control, breathing, yada, yada. I've been watching videos and reading articles but wanted to ask a few questions regarding cross eye dominance. Hoping to hear some good feedback and experiment a bit on the range.

I am right hand/left eye dominant. I shoot both eyes open and grip with my strong/right hand.

However when I shoot with an in-line grip right/strong hand, my right/weak eye focuses initially. Maybe my left eye dominance is not the prevalent... Sometimes the right/weak eye will hold for a long time but sometimes I start seeing through things/double vision/can't focus as my dominant eye takes over. If I close my dominant eye it will reset and come back into focus.

When I shoot with an offset grip/isosceles stance, it's not consistent which eye focuses. Sometimes my left eye focuses first, sometimes my right eye focuses first. If my weak/right eye focuses first then the same thing happens to me where my left eye eventually takes over and I start seeing through things/double vision/etc. At this point, I have to close my eyes to reset again.

One thing that I don't understand... when I do the standard eye dominance test, it *always* come back as left eye dominant. But you can see that my weak eye often picks up first when I'm shooting.

What I'm really looking for is consistency and to eliminate when both eyes are fighting for focus and I can't achieve a good sight picture.

Am I better off trying to train my right eye to be dominant as it already picks up a fair amount of time? Advantages to this seem to be that it will be easier to shoot strong/one-handed. Biggest difficulty here is it doesn't seem stable and when my sight picture is lost accuracy suffers.

Or should I try to adjust my grip/stance so that my dominant/left eye focuses? Going to do some more experimentation with this. I read about slightly canting the gun or your head and how it would force the left eye to focus. Surprised at how well this worked in the living room w/ an empty gun but have not tried it in practice yet. Nor am I sure I want to shoot like a gangster :lol2:

Finally I've noticed that different guns and subsequently different grips naturally lean my eyes to picking up one vs the other. For instance my Ruger Mark III with the slabside grips pretty much forces an in-line grip and therefore my right eye always focuses. Any advice?

I believe Hickok 45 is right handed and is left eye dominant. He said he just adjusted to it through practice I believe. I am left handed and right eye dominant and so is my fiance. She still shoots left handed and lines the sights up with her right eye. I just shoot right handed with pistols. With rifles I shoot left handed. I'm trying to work on shooting right handed standing, but it just doesn't feel natural. In the end practice is key. If you practice a certain way enough, you will over come your cross eye dominance.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The funny part is it does! My left eye will focus and stay focused. Not sure I want to look like a gangster tho :lol2:

yup, it's actually pretty effective at just bumping the site over an inch or so in order to settle it in front of the dominant eye....but yeah, it does look goofy. It's a good work-around until your brain gets enough practice to kind've choose which of the two site pictures to focus on.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Right handed, left eye dominant. I accepted it and practiced to present consistently for my left eye. For me starting from low ready is faster. From holster it's a little more difficult to press it out to that same spot but, it's more comfortable now. Sights also helped me. More visible or contrast helped and even suppressor height sights helped.

I also shoot about the same amount during range trips with both hands. I have the same accuracy with each but still faster right handed.

As other have said, try new things to find what works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Sounds like you have the same issue I do. Technically I'm left eye dominant, right hand shooter, but my LED is not terribly strong. I've simply had to work on a combination of muscle memory and getting used to what I'm seeing. One thing that definitely does NOT work for me is if I try to focus on the front sight with both eyes open and the sights lined up on my right eye.
    First thing: choose a stance and a grip and sick to it. If you keep trying to change multiple issues all at the same time, you'll never get anywhere. Personally, I would start with your grip. Whichever seems most natural when you first pick up the gun. Then decide on the stance that works with that grip. Both of these go into play with what Blaster said about point shooting. Get to your most natural point of aim as a starting point.
    After you've settled on those two, then you can work on your eye dominance. One thing I've done in the past to help with muscle memory is to smear a little petroleum jelly or even lip balm on the lens of you dominant eye of your shooting glasses. Not too much, just enough to that you can see shapes and outlines, just not in focus. Your brain will be forced to use your non-dominant eye and you will develop muscle memory much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom