• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Hey All,

Looking for some advice on a pistol course.

Not new to pistols, but would like to be a better shot. I have always practiced to aim for center mass at 7 and 15 yards, but would like to improve accuracy for competitive target shooting. In all honesty, there are probably issues with my form and sight picture.

Basic Pistol sounds nice, but I'm not really looking to start from the basics. Or maybe that's what I need, who knows.

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Hey All,

Looking for some advice on a pistol course.

Not new to pistols, but would like to be a better shot. I have always practiced to aim for center mass at 7 and 15 yards, but would like to improve accuracy for competitive target shooting. In all honesty, there are probably issues with my form and sight picture.

Basic Pistol sounds nice, but I'm not really looking to start from the basics. Or maybe that's what I need, who knows.

Would be very interested in local pistol course recommendations too.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Slow, aimed marksmanship shooting is all about the basics.

Thanks Blaster. I pretty much figured that.

I just don't appreciate the way some instructors treat the clients in basic courses (like an idiot). I just need to find the right one. I understand I am in a course to learn, but some just come off as rude or snobby.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The problem is a range. Tough to really do what you want at an indoor static range. Trying to teach someone while shoulder to shoulder inside a booth is not the best of situations.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We will be adding 2016 dates shortly to our calendar for our Defensive Handgun classes.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great idea for a nice overnight outing if from Md. Go down early for the class, have a great day, get a room and enjoy dinner and night down there. Nice leisurely drive back home the next morning after coffee and breakfast. That's what I would do.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Great idea for a nice overnight outing if from Md. Go down early for the class, have a great day, get a room and enjoy dinner and night down there. Nice leisurely drive back home the next morning after coffee and breakfast. That's what I would do.

I had a girlfriend who lived in Richmond. Drive was terrible with construction on 95 through Woodbridge.

However, sounds like it would be worth the trip!

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va

Thanks, Blaster! and we have a discount set up at the local Country Inn & Suites for our students! Right next to the Bass Pro Shops & Islamorada Fish Co. restaurant.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Look also to BSR at Summit Point.

They do a lot of training far various Federal agencies.

They have a 1, 2, and 3 day pistol course, same for carbine, and a combined pistol/carbine course.

The 1 day is day 1 of the 3 day. Not sure if you can go back later and just take the second day, but it would be worth asking.

A very nice facility. 2x 50 yard ranges on either side of the classroom building. But a pop up reactive range and some other steel. And for carbine, several 100 yard ranges.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/training-courses/training-coursesfirearms-training/

I did the 3 day carbine course and had a great time. Write up here:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=184196

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    If you are looking for a good class for beginning in bulls-eye, check the bulls-eye clinics that 12th Precinct hosts during the spring and summer.

Also Brian Zins will come out to your range and conduct classes. Not sure what his rates are, but several folks have said their scores increased dramatically after attending one of his sessions.

For tactical, look for the Masad Ayoob classes (usually offered in PA and VA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom