• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • da.murray82

Oct 19, 2023
    Laurel, MD
    Hello all,

Looking for a few ideas to get more members of my gun club to attend more Pistol events. Any and all ideas or experiences welcome.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Steel Challenge. Just start out informal and slow. Relatively $mall investments and It’ll grow.

Check these links out:

Among all the action-shooting sports, Steel Challenge has experienced one of the largest participation increases in recent years. Looking at the match itself, it’s not hard to see why.

Steel Challenge consists of eight different stages that always remain the same. Each stage features five white metal plates—either 18x24-inch rectangles, or 10- to 12-inch round plates. One plate is marked with a red post as the Stop Plate and must be hit last. They’re set in various arrays at distances of seven to 35 yards, and require a lot of lateral gun movement to engage. There are no scoring rings. Any hit on a plate scores.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Give away free guns and ammo!
    Seriously, any reactive target scenario shoots generally bring in more people. Burgers and hotdogs on the grill are a plus.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    rimfire challange (RCSA), not to be confused with steel challenge, is a great way to get kids & their parents/grandparents into shooting with the kids. Mary & I run a non-sanctioned match at our local club and the kids love shooting 22LR pistols & 22LR rifles at the steel targets.

more info here:

IDPA (international defensive pistol association) is another one to do for centerfire pistols & revolvers. Mary & I run a non-sanctioned weekly match on Monday evenings during daylight savings.

read about IDPA here:

if you need any help or examples of stages, shoot me a PM.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Well, my club (Berwyn Rod and Gun Club) has/is having a Low Light 2 evening event. First night has definition of the various flashlight hold positions (was last night); Next week, we have a range night, which will be on a dark range, using a temp wall, and a shoot/no shoot target situation.

Last edited:

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    Here is a picture of a themed steel shoot at my club for Halloween

Attachments

• IMG_9399.png
      IMG_9399.png
      226.5 KB · Views: 49

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    For club members or did you mean open for the general public?

It’s one thing if you want to host events but If it’s members only, a tweak in range rules may be better than running events, you would end up having to do all the work yourself with no help anyway. Stuff like allowing steel targets, clays, golf balls instead of a “only paper target “ rule definitely ups the good vibes

ESMDHokie77

Pistol Practical Shooting
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    a lot depends on who or what kind of skill/age/type of shooter you want to attact.
    do you want a lot of movement / or just some, or little to no movement to shoot a course.
    do you want matches to just be fun / club matches or do you want sanctioned events from a governing body.
    how much space do you have
    have fun, good luck.

astroturf3040

Sep 26, 2023
    AK
    Hello all,

Looking for a few ideas to get more members of my gun club to attend more Pistol events. Any and all ideas or experiences welcome.
    Pick an event. Example Steel challenge?
    Host a "How Too" clinic on the event; Steel Challenge,
    Run a short league, like 4-6 week league as part of the clinic.
    Have some awards by categories, new shooters, juniors, seniors, iron sights, any sights, rimfire, centerfire etc.
    Have an awards potluck at end.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Look at Glock matches. GSSF has outdoor and indoor matches. Dog has outdoor matches as well. Good way for a club to make some money and get new membership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom