• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have accumulated roll pin punches, SHORT roll pin punches, roll pin starters,
    Standard punches, and SHORT Standard punches.

I am going to make a punch holder for all the punches typ used in gun smithing.
    It will be a laminated "block" drilled for each punch and labeled with the laser.

I don't want to make it larger than needed,, I can keep the LARGE punches that are typ not used in smithing,, in a drawer.
    So what is the largest size you would say is used in typ gun smithing ?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Consider making a block that puts them 'working end up', that's what I did with several of the odd ones that I have that are not 'kitted' in some way, which many of mine are. This way you can see what you have on the working end and for me, visually, this works very well. The end result is that you are drilling the holes to hold them based on the 'handle' if you will.

I realize that many are marked with a size, but in my case most were not, so I have better luck picking the right one by looking at the working end of the punch in question.

That said, most of my punch 'kits', including roll pin punches and starters go no larger than 5/16" on the working end. I do have some long ones that may be a little larger, but rarely do I ever pick one up for any gun work past 5/16".

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Consider making a block that puts them 'working end up', that's what I did with several of the odd ones that I have that are not 'kitted' in some way, which many of mine are. This way you can see what you have on the working end and for me, visually, this works very well. The end result is that you are drilling the holes to hold them based on the 'handle' if you will.

I realize that many are marked with a size, but in my case most were not, so I have better luck picking the right one by looking at the working end of the punch in question.

That said, most of my punch 'kits', including roll pin punches and starters go no larger than 5/16" on the working end. I do have some long ones that may be a little larger, but rarely do I ever pick one up for any gun work past 5/16".
    Thanks.
    I have 4 Kits in various pouches and cases.
    The ones in the case are not marked, nor is the case.
    my 3 sets of "Grace USA" are marked but in pouches.

I have been working on my CZ pistols, H&R break action and ARs,, never went larger than a bout 1/8 or so?

Yes, I planned on the block to be drilled for the handle end.(working end up)
    I was thinking "Type" of punch in rows,, with columns all the same size.
    I was going to label it with the laser.

There is nothing more miserable than working on something with tools everywhere.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    A redundant but handy addition could be to make test size holes along one border. I have a plastic bolt and screw hole sizer that has a ruler in MM/CM and Imperial units also. Very handy for the toolbox.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That's a great idea! The 5/16 size was the largest that I have in my sets. I don't think I have ever used the larger roll pin punches or starters for example, but... if I were to set them all up in a block, I'd want to have them all, just in case. You never know! lol I have grabbed a large one on occasion to free up a stuck bullet in a reloading die for example, not so much removing pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom