Picture of rear sight base on Chinese SKS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Does anyone have a picture of what the part looks like where the rear sight spring on an SKS looks like? I got a spring in the mail, and it looks to me like the part is not machined correctly for the spring to sit in.

Thanks. This is what mine looks like. There is no way the spring has anything to press fit into in the semi-circular area, it is too shallow. The "button"/underside of the spring doesn't come anywhere close to touching the hole in the rear sight base.

2rc0o74.jpg

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Is this the part that you bought? It looks as though your rifle may not have been milled properly to accept the spring, or maybe there's a piece of broken spring left in the way ... hard to tell from your pic.

Also, this might be of help to you.

If it's a manufacturing flaw, contact the people that you got it from and see if they can do an exchange.

But I don't think that's likely. I think there may just be a broken piece of an old spring wedged in the way. See the photo below. Is the arrow pointing to a piece of broken-off spring that might still be jammed in? It sort of looks like that may be the issue, as the front edge seems like it's a little bit jagged. If that's something that you can pry out, it should make it so that your new spring will fit.

Attachments

• Nate_Problem2.jpg
      Nate_Problem2.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 169

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The arrow is pointing to a Shelf of unmilled steel, definitely not a piece of spring. I'll get some closer pics later tonight, I've contacted SOG.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Rear sight yes, spring, no.

Yeah ... sounds like you got a lemon. The ledge shouldn't be there. The spring should be able to lie flat, with the dimple fitting down into the little hole. It's pretty interesting that nobody figured it out and fixed it in all these years. I don't see how a spring could stay in there.

That little area could probably be taken out with a dremel tool, if you otherwise like the rifle and the dealer isn't cooperative. Be sure that they offer you an exchange that's at least as good as what you have.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I'll see what SOG does first. I was thinking drill press with end mill bit if I'm stuck, our they can't guarantee me one with all matching numbers except dust cover. Is a two letter cyrillic prefix with four digit serial important enough to not roll the dice again? First and only time I've paid for handpick...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I'll see what SOG does first. I was thinking drill press with end mill bit if I'm stuck, our they can't guarantee me one with all matching numbers except dust cover. Is a two letter cyrillic prefix with four digit serial important enough to not roll the dice again? First and only time I've paid for handpick...

That's hard to answer because it's a matter of preference. I'd personally prefer a two letter with 3 or four numbers, all matching, myself. You can tell them that's what you got for your hand select, and that's really what you'd like to get in return. Call them. Don't use e-mail. If they can't promise you that, and you are comfortable milling that ledge out, that might be a good option.

Another less-than-ideal possibility is to leave the ledge there and gently grind the rounded tip off the spring so it will fit in with the ledge still intact. If you try this, keep the spring cool so that it doesn't heat up and lose its temper. Dip it in water often. That may work, since it doesn't look like you'd have to remove more than a little bit of the spring tip ... or you may be out the cost of a spring.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. It's hard to believe that rifle has been in service for about 60 years without a functioning spring in the sight, but that appears to be the situation.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Thanks for the help everyone. With fresh eyes this morning and daylight, and with Machodoc's suggestion in my head, I could see it was in fact an old spring piece wedged in the lip. I feel like an idiot, but some kroil a hammer and punch later, it's all fixed. The sight is reinstalled and all is good, except my ego...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Thanks for the help everyone. With fresh eyes this morning and daylight, and with Machodoc's suggestion in my head, I could see it was in fact an old spring piece wedged in the lip. I feel like an idiot, but some kroil a hammer and punch later, it's all fixed. The sight is reinstalled and all is good, except my ego...

No problem. Keep your guns, but check your ego at the door. We can all benefit from another set of eyes at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom