• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmartin3191

Oct 29, 2023
    Harford County
    I've been told by instructors at Freestate that if I need to pick up my son from school and carrying, I need to lock my firearm in a secure box in the car (box underneath my seat). I've tried googling the correct answer but I'm not a lawyer! I don't want to risk any issues, want to do the right thing.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    I will defer to the other, more knowledgable folks on the site, but I think your instructor is correct. You are not allowed to carry any firearm on school property, period.

I am pretty sure that putting it in a lockbox is the correct answer, but NOT sure that keeping said lockbox "under my seat" is correct (it might have to be "out of arms reach" ?? ) and there might also be a requirement to keep the ammo/magazine separate from the weapon... please correct any of these that I have stated incorrectly.

wcm250f

May 13, 2013
    I'm not a lawyer. I think the correct thing to be is park off school property then go pick up your child. Even if the firearm is locked up. It is still on school property.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As a school administrator, I'm here to tell you that the rulebook says the cops are getting called.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I do not believe private or public makes any difference under the current legislation.

Start reading with this post - it was discussed quite a bit. It is discussed over the next page or so - read until at least post 80 in the thread:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

Picking up child from school with MD CCW license​

how did your kid get a ccw license? did he do the full 16 hour course?

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I've been told by instructors at Freestate that if I need to pick up my son from school and carrying, I need to lock my firearm in a secure box in the car (box underneath my seat). I've tried googling the correct answer but I'm not a lawyer! I don't want to risk any issues, want to do the right thing.

It is always a good practice to become familiar with the Maryland gun laws by reading them directly.

Two great resources for Maryland firearms related laws:

Maryland Gun Laws 2023 (2A Maryland)

Maryland and local firearms laws (MSI)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom