• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Not really a lever action guy. But i was interested in a .30-30. Found a savage 340 (made from 1950-1985) in .30-30. Its a bolt action rifle with a 3rd mag. Very light rifle, with a weaver mount on the side of the rec. Has a old 4x scope on it.

Was looking at some new savages and this popped out at me for the price. Looks to be pre 68 since no serial #.

Got it from Tim at Downsville general store. Ill post a pic when i pick it up.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Dont knock the lever guns my Win. 94 is a great brush buster and Im not afraid to strech it out. But the Savage .30-30 is a nice rifle Ive never shot one but know a couple guys that have them and are pleased.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Not really a lever action guy.
    I won't hold that against you, this time.

But i was interested in a .30-30. Found a savage 340 (made from 1950-1985) in .30-30. Its a bolt action rifle with a 3rd mag. Very light rifle, with a weaver mount on the side of the rec. Has a old 4x scope on it.

Can't wait to see the pics. I don't believe I've ever seen a .30-30 bolt rifle. Do you load for it?

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    If the blue and walnum of a fine lever gun is not your thing you can always put a synthetic stock on them these days. But I like mine the way it is, guess Ill goin the Dark Side. Hey joppa were do I sign up?

Ultimate Member
    Come to our dark side...

i'm not saying anything bad about levers. It is just that the people that have them have some weird fascination. They are a pretty historic gun. Next time I have $350 I may get one, but I get similar ballistics from my Ak's.

Try looking up tactical lever guns and places where they use lever's like m4's, it is pretty funny. They can be versatile.

Ultimate Member
    when SHTF, I have mosins, ak's and other stuff. I don't trust the 223, but the 7.62x39 and .30-.30 are similar and I guess would work.

Can you get a suppressor for your .30-.30. If I could get a synthetic stock, quad rail, EoTech for the 30-30, bi-pod, etc you may a have a good lever.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    when SHTF, I have mosins, ak's and other stuff. I don't trust the 223, but the 7.62x39 and .30-.30 are similar and I guess would work.

Can you get a suppressor for your .30-.30. If I could get a synthetic stock, quad rail, EoTech for the 30-30, bi-pod, etc you may a have a good lever.

Marlins have after market picatinny rails. Easily fitting an aimpoint no problem. Bi-pod, plenty of clamp-ons out there. There are those screw on weaver mounts you could affix also.
    :D

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    I called around for prices on lever actions. the cheapest i found new was at Dick's for a marlin. 420$... I called local 5-6 shops in washington county and frederick and they ranged from 475-600$ for a frickin 30-30.

Murry's wanted 600$ for a 30-30!! and 699 for a .444

I remember walmart carried the marlins a few years ago (2 years) for 260$

Even the used ones i see are going over 300$ Did these just go up in value that much in a few years???

Here is a link to a pic of what they look like:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=132020141

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have an old marlin...i take out to shoot every once in a while just cuz i can...plus you cant hunt with it around here...i know some say in other parts of MD but its too much of a hassle for me...so its just fun to shoot

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom