• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    So, with the possibility that we can all get carry permits I decided I need a new carry gun.

I don't have many requirements; but I would like a 9mm and something that is light weight. There is no way I am going to be carrying a full size 1911, I have back problems and the weight would kill me. I already have a Ruger LCP, so I don't need a tiny .380 either. I have no brand preferences at this time, though I do have a Sig P226 that I do not really care for, so not sure I would like any of their other products. Kahr's seem interesting to me but I have never handled one and don't know much about them.

Also, I am a lefty - so it must be lefty friendly

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    So, with the possibility that we can all get carry permits I decided I need a new carry gun.

I don't have many requirements; but I would like a 9mm and something that is light weight. There is no way I am going to be carrying a full size 1911, I have back problems and the weight would kill me. I already have a Ruger LCP, so I don't need a tiny .380 either. I have no brand preferences at this time, though I do have a Sig P226 that I do not really care for, so not sure I would like any of their other products. Kahr's seem interesting to me but I have never handled one and don't know much about them.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

I am a big fan of my FNP-9. Light weight, high magazine capacity, accurate, never had a misfire or any other issue.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    G26 is on my short list. I have fired one several times and it is very manageable.
    Even without the pinky extension, it is much more pleasant to shoot than PF9/LC9.
    The pinky extension is a good stabilizer and you can get magazine sleeves for 19 and 17 mags, for a fuller grip.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Both good suggestions. Looking at the specs, the Glock loaded is almost the same weight as the empty ruger and the Glock has smaller dimensions.
    How is the Glock to shoot, the grip looks tiny?

I have the M&P in a full size .40. Like the gun just fine but there is just something about it that doesn't me excited. Maybe the grip.

I've shot one. Not too bad on recoil. You can get mags for it that have extensions that make up for the short grip.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    +1 on the M&P Shield it is the only compact gun I've found that really feels good in my hand. If I ever get my carry permit, I'm going out to buy one.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Been looking for a small 9 myself and the DAO is something I don't like. Got a real nice spreadsheet of all the ones I have looked at.

Right now, the ones that are small enough but not DAO are the Walter PPS, M&P Shield and the Kimber Solo 9. Waiting to see the XDS 9mm as the XDS 45 is almost as small as the 9's above.

The DAO ones that were smaller (Keltech PF9, P290, PM9, CW9, LC9).

I thought the P938, Xdm (I have this one), G26, G19, P239 were just too big. I can carry the Xdm 3.8 Compact, but its just a little bulky IMHO.

Hope that helps some.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The LCP can be brutal to shoot a lot at the range, how is the LC9 at the range?

The LC9 is not nearly as rough to shoot as the LCP. The bigger and heavier the gun, the more comfortable it is at the range. You must make compromises for a small gun. I have the LC9 and the LCP. If you are near Allegany County and want to try them, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom