• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I was looking through the rules of AGC and may have overlooked it or it's a non-issue and not there but are members allowed to take photographs on the range property. I ask because I was going to get a few shots of daughter on the trap range if it's allowed.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I've taken pictures of my own bench but I have also heard an RO yelling "no pictures" at a group and then stating that he could have smashed the camera.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've taken pictures of the shooters in my lane. I have never taken pictures of anyone else. I've never heard of this being a problem. But next time you're there ask the range officer.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Sig Snob

May 20, 2012
    It can be a huge problem. You want to make sure you are only taking pics of your guests and have no one else in the picture. They take it very seriously as technically you need permission first. You most likely won't get hassled if you do it quickly.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have personally witnessed the RSO asking that photos not be taken on the trap range on numerous occasions. I asked if this was in the ranges rules and was told that it is unwritten. In order to take photos, everyone on the range would have to give their permission.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have personally witnessed the RSO asking that photos not be taken on the trap range on numerous occasions. I asked if this was in the ranges rules and was told that it is unwritten. In order to take photos, everyone on the range would have to give their permission.

Well GOOD! I am TERRIBLE shot due to not enough practice. Don't want THAT recorded. :D

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Most shooters don't want their pictures taken {unless permission granted by said shooter,} mainly because of fear that the picture will wind-up online --- which might be detrimental to employee/employer relations with said shooter.

Check with AGC staff...but I believe that all non-members on AGC grounds, are not allowed to take pictures, unless given permission by the AGC committee.

One AGC member had his badge confiscated by AGC a few years ago, when he put a video of himself on YouTube --- shooting an AK at the 100 yard Barnes Range --- only the rounds were determined {due to the vertical angle of the AK's muzzle} that his bullets were impacting some distance above the backstop berm --- though I never watched that video --- which I believe was titled: "How to shoot an AK."

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Just stay behind the line, keep it pointed down range at all times, and don't fiddle with it while the range is cold. Camera you say.......:o :D

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Honestly, you can take a photo of pretty much whoever you want to, it's protected under the 1st amendment.

On private property, with the exception of places like malls that are considered public venues, if an official of the property asks you to stop you need to comply.

As far as people not wanting you to take pictures of them, they really don't have a choice. It may not win you any friends and be in incredibly bad form, and possibly very disrespectful, they really have no official recourse.

As far as the RSO thinking they are entitled to break someone else's property, or even "make them delete the photos", you are sorely mistaken, and its a good way to get not only him/her, but AGC sued as well. Not to mention criminal charges for grand theft and stealing intellectual property, and possibly assault. I've seen it happen.

Again, not a good idea to do if you want to be seen as a good person, but the law is firmly on the photographer's side...usually.

That being said, I've shot some portfolio quality photos there on the Barnes range with no trouble at all. Trap range too!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Does the facility have a written policy on this ?

It is not a public place like a mall. The club can restrict the taking of photographs on their premises as a condition of using the facility just like a nudist colony can have a 'no pictures' policy.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Just stay behind the line, keep it pointed down range at all times, and don't fiddle with it while the range is cold. Camera you say.......:o :D

About two months ago a group of five arrived and set up on the Barnes range, 100 yard line, and a few minutes later I glanced down the line and saw one of them ten feet in front of the firing line that was hot.

He was taking a photo of his friend who was in the sitting position at the bench and aiming a rifle straight at the photographer. I yelled for the potag to get behind the line, summoned the RO who counseled the group, one member only, and wrote up the incident.

Lew--Ranger63

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    He brought 4 guests? I didn't think you could do that. Were they all shooting from one lane?

Jim Smith

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    You can bring as many guests as you want, but only one in your group can be on the firing line at a time.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    About two months ago a group of five arrived and set up on the Barnes range, 100 yard line, and a few minutes later I glanced down the line and saw one of them ten feet in front of the firing line that was hot.

He was taking a photo of his friend who was in the sitting position at the bench and aiming a rifle straight at the photographer. I yelled for the potag to get behind the line, summoned the RO who counseled the group, one member only, and wrote up the incident.

Lew--Ranger63

Range badge should have been confiscated on the spot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom