• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I'm going to be in downtown Philly for business all next week. I have a MD W&C and a PA permit.

I searched here but haven't hit the internet quite yet, but what places are prohibited in Philly? The place I'm doing business probably won't allow it, but I'm not sure what I'm doing each evening, so I wanted to be aware of what's a go or no go up there.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I went to an event at the Convention Center last month. Carry was not prohibited by law but event security banned firearms inside. You had to pass through Evolv scanners on the way in. It's easier to navigate carrying in PA than MD but you might want to check policies of where you know you will be.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    And given that even the most seasoned driver in Philly ends up on the wrong road headed into NJ, you're better off not bringing anything with you, permit or not.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It is your right, I carry in Philly every time I go, and just have to be aware of the state and federal rules as both can come into play. There is a lot of cool stuff in Philly, and many areas are very safe, but it's a city, stuff does happen, and it's your right to defend yourself.

As far as PA law, relatively simple, court houses, schools, no requirement to disclose to LEO, "no weapons" signs mean nothing.

That being said, if a place has a sign, you can ignore it, if they have scanners, have a choice to go back to your car and leave, or stash it.

FEDERAL carry laws can come into play in some of the historical places. Carry in parks is aligned with state law, basically OK in PA. Carry on federal property, and in federal buildings generally is not OK. They usually have a sign marking a "federal building" which can be anything from a landmark like independence hall to a tiny booth.

Philly PD can be incredible A-holes about exercising your rights, so definitely read up on the law, and know your rights. It can take some research to tell what is "failing to consent to a search without cause", and what could be an unlawful act. They are bound by the PA uniform code, and there is state pre-emption, Philly doesn't like it, and occasionally passes BS in violation of the law, but things are generally decent now being they were targeted by a few pro 2A and 1A auditors, sued, and lost a LOT of cases.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They sound incredibly strict:

The 2nd link contains wildly inaccurate information in regards to PA and Philly law, in fact EVERY SINGLE DESCRIPTION is wrong.

this is a Philly PD cheat sheet of the UFA, notice all the "per case law" entries, those are related to instances where 2A folk successfully sued the city when found to be in violation of the UFA.

https://www.phillypolice.com/assets/directives/D5.27-Firearms.pdf

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Contact law enforcement personnel in Philly and ask them.

Alas , Philly PD is notoriously anti gun and anti carry. Even if they knew your answers to your specific questions , they would probably deliberately give you wrong ( more restrictive) answers

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Amazing that a PA lawyer can be citing wrong info.
    True, but here we are, wouldn't be the first either.

want a good laugh:
    https://www.phila.gov/2018-03-20-gun-control-policies/

my favorite part:

How does this affect Philadelphia?​

Under current State law, Philadelphia is unable to pass laws on gun ownership or selling a gun. Philadelphia is unable to create restrictions on guns because of a state law that says “No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.”
    Philadelphia City Council has passed gun-control bills in the past, however the courts have struck down these bills. In 1993, Philadelphia City Council passed a bill on banning assault style weapons. However, the State of PA passed a law repealing the ban and then the State Supreme Court struck down the ban. In 2008, the Commonwealth Court struck down city ordinances banning assault weapons and limiting handgun purchases to one per person per month. Even though the City appealed this decision, in 2009, the Commonwealth Court again struck down both ordinances.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I am in Philly a few times a year and I always carry. However, the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, and other parts of the national park service are off limits (indoors anyways, but that’s where all of the neat stuff is) - I usually just leave it in my car.

Now the big question: what’s your favorite cheesesteak?

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I am in Philly a few times a year and I always carry. However, the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, and other parts of the national park service are off limits (indoors anyways, but that’s where all of the neat stuff is) - I usually just leave it in my car.

Now the big question: what’s your favorite cheesesteak?
    don't know.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds to me its basically the same as every other place I carry, so I will keep my head on a swivel, and keep in mind about private places with security that scans for weapons.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    I'm going to be in downtown Philly for business all next week. I have a MD W&C and a PA permit.

I searched here but haven't hit the internet quite yet, but what places are prohibited in Philly? The place I'm doing business probably won't allow it, but I'm not sure what I'm doing each evening, so I wanted to be aware of what's a go or no go up there.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
    Can you try to be a little more vague?…

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I’ve carried in Philly and surrounding counties for years never any issues as stated stay away from the metal detectors and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom