Peruta v. County of San Diego (CCW Case)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    nope, they said that the San Diego construction of "good cause" is unconstitutional. as it expressly excluded self defense as good cause. Different, but important. Remember, other counties in California consider "good cause" to include self defense.

ok the article is wrong it doesn't say county says California's law was struck down

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Yeah, yeah. I argue with them all the time at work. I haven't been right yet, but that hasn't stopped me yet. :D

100% serious question - I thought CA9 applies horizontal precedent, so why would Peruta not affect Baker, unless the opinion get held pending en banc?

Basically you have to have a case or controversy for a federal court to overturn a law. So even if a identical law is struck down in another jurisdiction a federal court has no right to overturn a law in a separate jurisdiction. That is why Saipan and America Samoa still have complete bans on owning handguns. Baker takes on Hawaii's carry law and was heard on the same day as the Peruta panel. It is a much more restrictive law and will be judged based on its own merits by the same judges that rules on Peruta

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    didn't the ninth just say California's concealed carry law is unconstitutional? I am shocked that the ninth would do that

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/1...ssed-by-fed-appeals-court/?intcmp=latestnews#

nope, they said that the San Diego construction of "good cause" is unconstitutional. as it expressly excluded self defense as good cause. Different, but important. Remember, other counties in California consider "good cause" to include self defense.

Did you miss this little nugget?
    Understanding the scope of the right is not just necessary, it is key to our analysis. For if self-defense outside the home is part of the core right to “bear arms” and the California regulatory scheme prohibits the exercise of that right, no amount of interest-balancing under a heightened form of means-ends scrutiny can justify San Diego County’s policy.

San Diego only APPLIED the California Regulatory Scheme though their policy !!!

Am I misinterpreting this?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I am shocked that it took the 9th to school the 4th on a fundamental and Constitutionally protected right, other than the 1st A. Even so, I am not complaining! :)

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Basically you have to have a case or controversy for a federal court to overturn a law. So even if a identical law is struck down in another jurisdiction a federal court has no right to overturn a law in a separate jurisdiction. That is why Saipan and America Samoa still have complete bans on owning handguns. Baker takes on Hawaii's carry law and was heard on the same day as the Peruta panel. It is a much more restrictive law and will be judged based on its own merits by the same judges that rules on Peruta

But CA9's jurisdiction includes Hawaii, right? So the ruling from Baker that the 2A protects the right to bear arms outside the home will be applied to the Baker case, yes?

I get that it doesn't automatically strike down Hawaii's law, but it gives the panel little choice in finding the restrictive (effectively "no-issue") scheme unconstitutional, right?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

But, NO Counties in MD do.

God I'd love to see this materialize, Woollard was agonizing to watch die.:sad20:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This going to SCOTUS really scares the living crap out of me. Especially with Roberts.

It needs to be done but I don't know if the outcome will be what we expect. SCOTUS is always vague except when it comes to liberal cases.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Did you miss this little nugget?

San Diego only APPLIED the California Regulatory Scheme though their policy !!!

Am I misinterpreting this?

They call out the California system and law explicitly, and clarify that any system of evaluation that prevents carry by lawful people is an over-exercise in regulation. So if a county accepts defense for G&S, then they are OK as long as their other provisions allow carry in a realistic form. So technically G&S exists, but only if it is objective and allows self-defense to be used.

This going to SCOTUS really scares the living crap out of me. Especially with Roberts.

It needs to be done but I don't know if the outcome will be what we expect. SCOTUS is always vague except when it comes to liberal cases.

Yup, but it has to happen eventually.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA

It is a bit scarier since he sold us out over Obamacare, I agree.

AC20814

American
    Mar 8, 2012
    Bethesda, MD

better now than wait for Hillary to nominate another Sotomayor.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    Thanks Patrick, but isn't that splitting hairs? For the record, G&S is a MD term. Here in CA it's Just Cause and Good Moral Character. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom