• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have been getting much more interest from people brand new to pistols who want to do the permit/HQL course. But few of them have the pistol and other gear for the course. So……

I have decided to develop a Permit course totally for people new to pistols. It will include all the required information in the HQL/Permit course plus additional real world information, but also provide an equipment package to include all the gear needed. This course will also cover in greater detail “beginner” concepts (I.e.cleaning, mag loading, basic marksmanship) that most experienced shooters have an understanding. The Permit Course for Beginners will be limited to 4-6 students so the participants get the attention they should as beginners. I plan on scheduling this course starting in 2024.

Thoughts? TD

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have been getting much more interest from people brand new to pistols who want to do the permit/HQL course. But few of them have the pistol and other gear for the course. So……

I hate decided to develop a Permit course totally for people new to pistols. It will include all the required information in the HQL/Permit course plus additional real world information, but also provide an equipment package to include all the gear needed. This course will also cover in greater detail “beginner” concepts (I.e.cleaning, mag loading, basic marksmanship) that most experienced shooters have an understanding. The Permit Course for Beginners will be limited to 4-6 students so the participants get the attention they should as beginners. I plan on scheduling this course starting in 2024.

Thoughts? TD
    If you find a market, serve it. You are a good man who will deliver quality instruction.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I suspect you will hear from other instructors offering similar training. During COVID my wife expressed an interest in learning and made her watch every Lena Miculek video I could find. Between the two of us, we put 300 rounds down range at MSAR last Monday.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Sounds like a good idea. If I interpret correctly, you’ll be adding a few hours to add the basic pistol portion and additional practical skills training?

It is interesting that folks with no prior training are jumping directly to carry permit classes. It would seem that folks would have, at least, taken basic training/proficiency courses before taking a carry class.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It is a good idea, but those subjects were in the old suggested curriculum and some of it is in the new required curriculum. I'm surprised you weren't already covering these areas; I have been giving that class since day 1. The only time I didn't cover those in detail was when I gave a class to very advanced shooters where most or all of the class were competition shooters. Probably 20% of my W&C students have been new to guns and shooting and one of the reasons for my 3:1 student:instructor ratio.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Go for it. From what I've seen, I believe there is a need. I bet you won't have trouble finding help if you need it ;)

I suspect you'll still have people signing up for the regular class who really should be in this one :rolleyes:

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    It is a good idea, but those subjects were in the old suggested curriculum and some of it is in the new required curriculum. I'm surprised you weren't already covering these areas; I have been giving that class since day 1. The only time I didn't cover those in detail was when I gave a class to very advanced shooters where most or all of the class were competition shooters. Probably 20% of my W&C students have been new to guns and shooting and one of the reasons for my 3:1 student:instructor ratio.
    Maybe I was unclear, I have been including these things and much more in my class for the last ten years. I am just thinking I can emphasize certain things more to beginners. For example I don’t have the experienced students actually field strip and clean the pistols in class but could include that in a beginners only course.

Honestly, even with the new lesson plan I was covering almost all of the info, just in a different way.

I have found that pure beginners standing next to experienced students works ok, but could work much better if two different levels where available.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Sounds like a good idea. If I interpret correctly, you’ll be adding a few hours to add the basic pistol portion and additional practical skills training?

It is interesting that folks with no prior training are jumping directly to carry permit classes. It would seem that folks would have, at least, taken basic training/proficiency courses before taking a carry class.
    I may sacrifice some range time, for example, to add real hands on cleaning. Like I said, I’m developing the course.

TD

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Maybe I was unclear, I have been including these things and much more in my class for the last ten years. I am just thinking I can emphasize certain things more to beginners. For example I don’t have the experienced students actually field strip and clean the pistols in class but could include that in a beginners only course.

Honestly, even with the new lesson plan I was covering almost all of the info, just in a different way.

I have found that pure beginners standing next to experienced students works ok, but could work much better if two different levels where available.

TD
    Yes, we attempt to schedule students into groups depending on their experience. For me one of the super basic things I was forgetting to teach newbies was trigger reset. If you had a cap pistol or BB gun as a child you take some things for granted and it's hard to remember/realize someone not knowing something so basic.

One reason to group students is if you are using TPI, newbies can be intimidated not only by instructors, but by other more experienced student's knowlege. TPI is very important for retention.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I always viewed carry classes as being intended to focus on carry-related information and skills and that attendees should already have basic pistol training and proficiency prior to attending a carry course. NRA, for example, requires Basic Pistol as a prerequisite for their Personal Protection courses.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I always viewed carry classes as being intended to focus on carry-related information and skills and that attendees should already have basic pistol training and proficiency prior to attending a carry course. NRA, for example, requires Basic Pistol as a prerequisite for their Personal Protection courses.
    When I took my carry class, the first day was the NRA Basic Pistol course. It included a shooting qualification.

My wife recently took her carry class and said there were several people there who had never fired a gun, let alone a pistol.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD

I have decided to develop a Permit course totally for people new to pistols. It will include all the required information in the HQL/Permit course plus additional real world information, but also provide an equipment package to include all the gear needed. This course will also cover in greater detail “beginner” concepts (I.e.cleaning, mag loading, basic marksmanship) that most experienced shooters have an understanding. The Permit Course for Beginners will be limited to 4-6 students so the participants get the attention they should as beginners. I plan on scheduling this course starting in 2024.

Thoughts? TD
    I think its a great idea. There are many people wishing to obtain a first handgun and a W &C who otherwise may take a basic , minimum requirement class and really have learned very little about the actual firearms. Though I would never support additional training as a requirement , I definitely recommend it. Those who have no experience but need to take a class for an HQL or W&C anyway, should jump at an opportunity like you are suggesting. Good luck, fantastic idea.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Yes this is why I think a basic permit class is a good idea.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    When I took my carry class, the first day was the NRA Basic Pistol course. It included a shooting qualification.

My wife recently took her carry class and said there were several people there who had never fired a gun, let alone a pistol.
    I honestly don't care for the NRA basic class, and with the new requirements from the state I'm not sure you could fit anything but "minimums" in the course.

TD

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I honestly don't care for the NRA basic class, and with the new requirements from the state I'm not sure you could fit anything but "minimums" in the course.

TD
    I saw it a a time filler. I had never taken the course before, but have been shooting for over 50 years. I did score a 100% on the written test though. I think the last time I did that on any test was maybe 3rd grade. :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

TD
    I agree.

The new HB852 required curriculum completely kills the usefulness of any NRA class for all or part of the MD W&C. If you became an NRA CCW instructor to give MD W&C, HB852 cost you the cost of that class and certification.

The NRA Basic Pistol book is a GREAT piece of media and I use it in my classes and give it away to W&C students (can't give it away in a $40 HQL, but I offer it to them at less than cost).

A big fat kiss and thank you to everyone who said a state mandated standardized curriculum would be a good idea; every instructor who was giving a good class is now giving a class that is much lower quality than before. Progressives are happy, everyone gets the same low quality sh!t, seems sort of like the way things were under communist eastern Europe.
    Note to those who say there should be a prerequist class prior to MD W&C, you are being gatekeepers - don't forget there are 42 states without even the HQL or W&C, DON"T PILE ON MORE CRAP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I agree.

The new HB852 required curriculum completely kills the usefulness of any NRA class for all or part of the MD W&C. If you became an NRA CCW instructor to give MD W&C, HB852 cost you the cost of that class and certification.

Cynicism Alert !

It wasn't a total waste . You get a piece of paper , that allows you to recieve a piece of paper from Maryland .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom