• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    As many of you may know, my home was burglarized back in December and my brand new Ruger SR1911 was stolen.

The intruders were arrested the next day and have been in jail since. I recently received a letter from the State's Attorney's office asking if I would be available to testify against them when they get a trial date. Of course I will be...

Here's what really burns me up. I was looking at the charges listed on md case search. At first I was pleased at all the charges listed and then I got to the last one:

Charge Description: Regulated Firearm Stolen - Possess/Sell/Transfer/Dispose Of
    Offense Date From: 12/04/2012To:
    Charge Class:M

Misdemeanor??? 8 counts of burglary and theft classified as a felony but the stolen gun charge is a misdemeanor? :mad54:

-Mike

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You are a perfect candidate to testify at the upcoming bill hearings. Among our group, you should be shuffled towards the front of the queue to speak. Make it be known to politicians and any reporters present that Maryland is very soft on gun crime. Criminals are coddled. That's the problem. Not law-abiding gun owners.

I agree with dist1646 that the gun crime misdemeanor is almost guaranteed to be dropped as part of a plea. It's absurd.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    You are a perfect candidate to testify at the upcoming bill hearings. Among our group, you should be shuffled towards the front of the queue to speak. Make it be known to politicians and any reporters present that Maryland is very soft on gun crime. Criminals are coddled. That's the problem. Not law-abiding gun owners.

:clap: x1 million!

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth

I agree with dist1646 that the gun crime misdemeanor is almost guaranteed to be dropped as part of a plea. It's absurd.

Agreed.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Well we all need to realize that these guys are from a underprivileged area and are in need of money. We all need to come together and understand that its not their fault and we need to accept them for the people that they are and work with them into becoming a functional member of society. It is your duty as a MD resident to drop all the charges and see if there is anything else that they would like from your home, which you could possible deliver to where they request........

J/K, and im not trying to make light of your situation, thats F'd up! Call the DA and see what the deal is. Ask him if the same misdemeanor is going to be applied to people who do not register firearms as it is to these thugs who broke into your home and stole a firearm. This is what the problem is in this country, there is no accountability held against peoples actions anymore,.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Your SR1911 was probably stuck in some crackheads waistband. I'd have it sanitized immediately.

Theft of a regulated firearm, or any for that matter, should be an instant stretch in the joint. There are zero tolerance laws for much less.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Your SR1911 was probably stuck in some crackheads waistband. I'd have it sanitized immediately.

Theft of a regulated firearm, or any for that matter, should be an instant stretch in the joint. There are zero tolerance laws for much less.

I doubt I'll ever see Princess I again but since I've already bought Princess II (another SR1911), if Princess I is recovered one day, I'll sell it to one of you suckers on here :p

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Maryland wants tougher guns laws they should adopt the 10/20/Life rule.

Producing a firearm during the commission of certain felonies mandates at least a 10-year prison sentence

Firing one mandates at least a 20-year prison sentence

Shooting someone mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years regardless of whether a victim is killed or simply injured. The maximum penalty is a life sentence unless the defendant is charged with felony murder or first degree murder in which case the maximum is the death penalty

This is what we should pushing to lawmakers...make laws that will affect change, not punish the innocent.

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD

I would love to do this but I just don't retain all the facts or have any idea what I'd say and don't want to end up "that babbling idiot that blew it for us in MD" :o

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    Good luck with getting your gun back. I hope you have plenty of time to take off to attend the trials and multiple court dates. The first court appearance they will ask for an attorney. The Judge will grant the request and you will be notified when the next appearance is scheduled. The next trial date will come ad if it’s not postponed several times they will ask for a Jury trial. You will be notified again to appear. At the next trial date they will ask to be tried separately if there was more than one burglar.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land

Producing a firearm during the commission of certain felonies mandates at least a 10-year prison sentence

Shooting someone mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years regardless of whether a victim is killed or simply injured. The maximum penalty is a life sentence unless the defendant is charged with felony murder or first degree murder in which case the maximum is the death penalty

This is what we should pushing to lawmakers...make laws that will affect change, not punish the innocent.

100% agree!

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011

Who is this Guy we should be electing him our next governor!:party29:

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Make sure you don't point out to the SA that he is not following the letter of MD law and then explain to him what the law is . You will be removed from the witness list :innocent0

Yes , been there . I was a witness against a guy that comitted 3 burglaries and 1 armed robbery . By my math with the 3 strikes law and firearms us in the commision of a crime he should have got 25 yrs mandatory . He got 18 months suspended . And add to that some drug charges and many others that he committed , at 21 years old he has almost 3 pages racked up on Case Search . He should be rotting in jail unless theyare waiting for him to kill someone .:mad54:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I would love to do this but I just don't retain all the facts or have any idea what I'd say and don't want to end up "that babbling idiot that blew it for us in MD" :o

A few sentences would be sufficient. Bring a copy of the charges. Hold it up as proof. Simply state your house was burglarized, your handgun was stolen, and you are highly offended and concerned about a serious gun crime only being prosecuted as a misdemeanor charge that is likely to be dropped. Maybe close with a sentence like "What we need in MD is aggressive gun crime prosecution, not more gun laws or gun bans aimed at law-abiding citizens."

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you just repeated your original post, that would be all that need be said. Copy it and read it to the committee and take time to look at the members of the committee while doing so. These types of testimony are very effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom