• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    A friend came across this specimen the other day, and I couldn't place the manufacturer. There is none on the gun only the 6.35 inscription. Anyone?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 159

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    6.35 is .25. Specifically .25 ACP is 6.35mm Browning in European use. The early ACP rounds (.25, .32, and .38) were semi-rimmed so did work in specially designed revolvers.

Now I'm not saying it is .25 ACP (there may be other .25s/6.35s out there).

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    VELO-DOG

the original of its type (made by GALAND) was an open-frame pattern similar to the earlier "LE NOVO" without a folding butt. the trigger was a solid lever with a conventional closed gaurd, though later models adopted the slender hammerless folding trigger appearance that characterized many later VELO-DOG designs and clones.

the name "VELO-DOG" came from a combination of "velocipede" (bicycle) and "dog", the guns selling widely in the 1890`s to allow cyclists to defend themselves from packs of wild / feral dogs that could attack them as they ventured into the depths of the countryside (France not noted for good hygene or sewer systems / garbage disposal).

the original and peculiar 5.5MM VELO-DOG cartridge had an unusualy long and slender case loaded with a 45 grain jacketed bullet that made it less efficiant and effective that the .22 LR round.

many of the GALAND guns made in the 1900-1914 (pre-war) period indeed accepted the .22 LR or 6.35 AUTO (.25 ACP) cartridges, which were much more widesread in availability and acceptance. some rounds were loaded with cayenne pepper or rock salt dust to satisfy the questionable scruples and liberal leaning morals of "left wing" bike riders.

GALAND

CHARLES FRANCOIS GALAND
    LIEGE, BELGIUM (and later PARIS, FRANCE)

this Liege based gunmaker made many contributions to revolver design and patent development history. in 1872 he patented a double-action lock that was widely adopted, and outright stolen, notably by WEBLEY in England and COLT in the USA, and his unique auto-extracting mechanism was also widely used around the world.

Galand invented the "VELO-DOG" revolver, one of the most proliphic, copied, and cloned revolvers in history.

without more detailed pictures, and descriptions of markings i can only make some educated guesses...

its Belgian
    its PRE-WWI (maybe as late as 1925)
    its not a 5.5 VD
    its probable a .25 acp or a .320 chambering
    it has many features adopted from the NAGANT design, as well as GALAND design
    it was most likely made in LIEGE, probably on RUE 22 within shouting distance of town square / within sight of the monument in the square
    this is most likely a copy / clone and not a GALAND

From a google search....not my words.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If it was Belgian it would have the Belgian proof marks.

In the book I looked in everything matches....grips pattern, grip shape, the safety hole where the missing safety switch is, the English bulldog pattern extractor rod, the hump for the rear sight and most distinctive is the two screws are in the proper position and size (the missing screw is obviously of smaller diameter). I am positive it is a Brong-Petit because even almost identical copies in Spain or Belgium did not exactly copy the grip panel patterns so closely and this gun has an identical grip panel pattern as the Brong-Petit as appears in my book.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    If it was Belgian it would have the Belgian proof marks.

In the book I looked in everything matches....grips pattern, grip shape, the safety hole where the missing safety switch is, the English bulldog pattern extractor rod, the hump for the rear sight and most distinctive is the two screws are in the proper position and size (the missing screw is obviously of smaller diameter). I am positive it is a Brong-Petit because even almost identical copies in Spain or Belgium did not exactly copy the grip panel patterns so closely and this gun has an identical grip panel pattern as the Brong-Petit as appears in my book.

Google search with a pic.....I'll have to find the site. I go with your opinion, because as we all know, information on the internet is frequently wrong.

Now that I think about it, the pic I found was 90-95% identical.....the 5-10% did, in fact, prove me wrong.

Out of curiosity, is the thing shootable with today's ammo? What's the little guy worth?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Shootable with today's ammo? I think so because as was pointed out 6.35 ammo is .25 auto (I did not know this and double checked with Cartridges of the World to see this is true). I believe .25 auto was always a smokeless powder round IIRC, so yes, I think it is generally shootable.

Value of the gun? I can only go on what appears on Gunbroker and Spanish pocket guns from maybe the 1910s or 1920s or thereabouts. I assume in working and complete condition at most it would be worth $200-$250, but with missing screws and missing safety switch I am betting $75-$100.
    ....wild guess.

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for the sleuthing everyone. I'll let them know!
    I think any .25 ammo would work, IF the gun was in better condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom