• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't know, maybe I'll carry two delicas instead. They are both 3 inches. I wonder if a cop would freak over someone having two knives. Probably.

Switchblades are illegal and require no intent for the arrest. Two knives probably wouldn't raise my eyebrows any more than one would.

Also, can anyone direct me to a link where it says pepper spray is legal in DC? I've been searching forever, and I can only find that it is legal to carry if you register it.

I'll look when I get to work tomorrow but off the top of my head I don't remember when it was changed over. If I find something I'll post a link.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Pepper spray is only illegal if you are bringing it into a penal institution. You can own and carry it as a resident if it is registered with the police. I am not sure how that works for non-residents.
    DC has strong restrictions on knives in the commission of a crime.
    Other than that, switchblades are illegal. A blade greater than 3” is not allowed on Capital Grounds.
    If you are not on Capital grounds or mugging people, you are good to go with blades.

I am not a lawyer, the DC code is here to check for yourself:
    http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/dcofficialcode

bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    I bought some pepper spray for my Mother and the Library of Congress took it from her and told her it was illegal. It was 15 years ago...should I try and get it back?:D My point is, if it is legal then why did they take it?

I went to library of congress straight from work one day with my benchmande griptillian. The guard at the metal detector told me to "put it under the orange construction cone out front and get it when you come out.". When I went out there, I was half expecting to find a pile of handguns knives and lighters.
    It WAS out there waiting for me when I came out though!

Sent from Space.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I went to library of congress straight from work one day with my benchmande griptillian. The guard at the metal detector told me to "put it under the orange construction cone out front and get it when you come out.". When I went out there, I was half expecting to find a pile of handguns knives and lighters.

Sent from Space.

Wow, I didn't expect that ending!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Sent from Space.

Very nice. I had a similar experience a year or so ago. I went to a federal building completely unarmed (save a large titanium knife). They required a metal detector walk through, so I naturally obliged. I showed the guard the contents of my pockets (keys, knife, etc.). When I left he was still there and gave me a pleasant nod.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Anyone find anything? Just ordered some fox labs sprays for my fiance and I, I'd like to be able to bring it into DC with me.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    For those interested, we may be offering our Sabre pepper spray class in Maryland in the very near future. I just need to find a date on our calendar. We have a promising location in mind that I think you'll all enjoy!

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well, after looking for days and not finding what i wanted, I just emailed the MPD. My reply:

This email is in response to your question regarding the requirements for visiting non-D.C. residents to carry pepper spray in the District of Columbia.

Only D.C. residents are required to register their self-defense spray, at the time of purchase, as required by D.C. Code 7-2502.14. There is no requirement for non-residents to register their self-defense sprays.

In accordance with D.C. law a person eighteen years of age or older may possess and use a "self-defense spray" in the exercise of reasonable force in the defense of the person or person's property. However, the "self defense spray" must meet the the following guidelines;

1. It must comply with D.C. code 7-2502.12, which defines "self defense sprays" as a mixture of lacrimator including chloroacetophenone, aplphacloracetophenone, phenylchloromethylketone, orthochlorobenazalm-alononitrile or oleoresin capsicum. Any other type of substance is unlawful to possess.

2. The "self defense spray" must be propelled from an aerosol container, labeled with clear instructions for its use, and is dated for its anticipated useful life.

I hope this answers your question, please feel free to contact me by email at Colin.Hall@dc.gov or a member of the Firearms Registration Unit at 202-727-4275 if you have other questions.

Cool. +1

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    ...Sounds like per those regulations, my Kimber Pepperblaster would not be kosher since it's not aerosol? Oh well, I'm willing to take that chance. God I hate DC - and that's saying a lot as a Baltimore City resident.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    ...Sounds like per those regulations, my Kimber Pepperblaster would not be kosher since it's not aerosol? Oh well, I'm willing to take that chance. God I hate DC - and that's saying a lot as a Baltimore City resident.

I hate DC too.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

I have a can of Sabre Red in gel form. Works better in the wind. Wonder where this falls

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    My understanding is that you can carry pretty much whatever kind of knife you want (don't think spring-assisted) as long as you don't commit a crime with it...

I just worry about them trying to tack a knife charge onto some other completely unrelated ******** arrest. I lived in NY for a while and I have had friends arrested by the NYPD for the most asinine reasons (once a buddy refused to leave his own apartment at 2 am and stand in the hall while the officers talked to his friend and the police threw him to the ground in his living room and arrested him with a charge of disturbing the peace and resisting arrest). Didn't stick but not the type of chance I wanna take.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Thread necro!

After the July 4 murder on the Metro, I got to wondering what's currently legal to carry into DC. For non-residents, is the info in this thread on pepper sprays/knife blade lengths still current?

I assume tasers/stun guns/anything of that sort are fully illegal, along with collapsible batons, but would love to be wrong on those counts.

So, DC residents, what's the word?

Muchas gracias!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wonder if a folding food prep knife of greater than 3-inches would get a pass. I think most folks can say that they've used their EDCs in opening hundreds of boxes, cutting vines, food prep, etc and never once used the knife to harm or threaten another - and if questioned, argue that they are carrying the knife for an everyday task that they can specify (other than SD). Will this cut it with law enforcement in DC, or are they searching for an actual on the job use in the city?

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ah, I think I answered my own question about the pepper/other sprays, at least: http://dccode.elaws.us/code?no=7-2502.13

Knives are indeed limited to 3" if possessed with intent (note b in dccode.elaws.us/code?no=22-4514)

Seems to be the official posting online of the current DC Code.

Edited to add knife blade length.

Can't find the letter of the law on ASP-type batons, though...

I regularly carry a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in DC "for my job because I have to open a lot of boxes and cut cables, wires, etc...". You catch my drift?

At DHS HQ this very minute, I'm sitting next to a coworker with a 3+ inch kershaw in his pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom