• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not in Texas. Remember old fat white dude who waxed those career criminals breaking into his neighbor's house?

Maybe shitheads won't steal from honest people if they know they can legally be shot

You mean the ones running away from the guys house?

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    The OP can argue all day long, but the reason for CC or to have a personal weapon at all, is for self-defense. Most states offer no protection in law to use deadly force to defend property. Would any of us, serving as a juror, expect to side with a defendant who used deadly force to protect property such as a purse or cell phone because they left their car unlocked and unguarded for their OWN convenience?

There's a reason why most states don't allow deadly force to protect property. Think about it.....

Most states allow deadly force to protect property. Just most states dont allow the commoner caste to use deadly force to protect their own property.

jsm7977

Nov 2, 2013
    if we had carry laws like that of PA for instance but with the 10/20 law like FL, you wouldn't have to brandish a firearm at everything. Just the criminals NOT knowing who could be carrying is a deterrent in and of itself. Its working in Detroit apparently... Chief is starting to approve a lot more CCW permits and crime is down. Maybe Im misinformed but is it a coincidence that the states with the near impossible carry laws have more crime than the ones that don't?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Yes

Many/Most states DO protect defense of private property as a legitimate use of deadly force.

Take Art 2A from NH Constitution

[Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.] All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

I said most states and you name 1. That's not proving a point. How many states address self-defense specifically in their Constitutions? Yes, New Hampshire leads the way but that doesn't reflect the majority of states does it?

And you still want to go through a possible arrest, grand jury process and trial just for a purse or cell phone (or 'protecting the state'!) that you could have protected with a little more brains?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    if we had carry laws like that of PA for instance but with the 10/20 law like FL, you wouldn't have to brandish a firearm at everything. Just the criminals NOT knowing who could be carrying is a deterrent in and of itself. Its working in Detroit apparently... Chief is starting to approve a lot more CCW permits and crime is down. Maybe Im misinformed but is it a coincidence that the states with the near impossible carry laws have more crime than the ones that don't?

This is as accurate as it gets.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I said most states and you name 1. That's not proving a point. How many states address self-defense specifically in their Constitutions? Yes, New Hampshire leads the way but that doesn't reflect the majority of states does it?

And you still want to go through a possible arrest, grand jury process and trial just for a purse or cell phone (or 'protecting the state'!) that you could have protected with a little more brains?

http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

Doc

Google isn't so tough to use is it?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Why should someone die for stealing a lawnmower....for the principle of it? Teach others a lesson?
    Pretty stupid thing to do, kill someone when you're life wasn't in danger.

The entire point of force/punishment for breaking laws is to function as a deterrent.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The entire point of force/punishment for breaking laws is to function as a deterrent.

I understand the point. The point goes moot when someone gets killed stealing property.
    It's like capitol punishment, it sucks as a deterrent.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I understand the point. The point goes moot when someone gets killed stealing property.
    It's like capitol punishment, it sucks as a deterrent.

Actually severe consequences works quite well

Take singapore and other countries that use caning and other severe punishments for relatively small crimes.

When the consequences are severe and swift enough it gives those inclined to commit crime reason to reconsider......

Same as the effect of concealed carry......is the juice worth the squeeze?

Generally speaking no.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

:thumbsup:
    this is what i am trying to get across.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Well I'm sure he feels good about himself. You know, killing someone AFTER a property crime.
    I bet the cops involved in the Berwyn Heights fiasco aren't losing any sleep either. ;)

So Doc, when you come home and see someone stealing something from your house you tell them to stop. They don't stop, because they have nothing to fear from you. So you call the police. When the police arrive and tell the thief to stop and they don't stop, what will the police do? Pull their gun and threaten deadly force, or just yell stop again?

Monetary value shouldn't make the situation any different.
    Who is worse, the petty thief that never steals enough to make it a felony, or the guy that steals a car?

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Can I chime in real quick? I saw this thread last week and tried to think of how all of this relates to what CCW really means. It's an equalizer, nothing more.

What is the real issue in this situation is to look at it from a typically "weak" person's perspective. Consider a young woman who is petite and thin. If she were to inadvertently walk to her car at night, she may stumble upon someone committing petty theft on her, or maybe a neighboring parked car. Now if a man would have walked up on the perp, there is a much greater likelihood that the perp would simply run away. The female stands a much smaller chance of this happening.

If criminals know women can legally carry small arms and they are in an area with a high carry rate among females, the chances of the perp simply running away just increased basically to the same as if a full grown man were walking to their car.

That is how CCW is a deterrent.

Just MHO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom