• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    What I want to know though, is how come we shoot old soviet steel core ammo with no problems, but US military surplus ammo goes bad?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What I want to know though, is how come we shoot old soviet steel core ammo with no problems, but US military surplus ammo goes bad?

2 reasons:

Somebody needs to get paid.
    Supply is increasing and they need to keep it out of "your" hands.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Stored properly, it doesn't go bad.

I wonder if it's ammo that is no longer in spec with the weapons that are T/O. Like old .30/06 or the older M193 5.56mm with the lighter weight 55 gr bullets.

Either way, sure would be nice to give to the CMP for civilian re-purposing. It is our tax dollars that originally paid for it after all.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

I wonder if it's ammo that is no longer in spec with the weapons that are T/O. Like old .30/06 or the older M193 5.56mm with the lighter weight 55 gr bullets.

Either way, sure would be nice to give to the CMP for civilian re-purposing. It is our tax dollars that originally paid for it after all.

Even 45 ACP would be great to give CMP

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee

Truth (somewhat). However, I remember a story from one of my acquisition classes - apparently sometime in the 90s, a warehouse storing ammo had leak that never got fixed. Millions of rounds were damaged and had to be replaced. The instructor used it as an example of why to write O&M contracts properly (warehouse was GOCO - Gov Owned, Contractor Operated), but it stuck with me as one of the small things that affects a market.

Also, from further reading on the topic, it appears to include "missiles," and likely also includes arty rounds (because what journalist knows anything about arms or munitions). When a single M107 shell can approach $4k, it's not hard to rack up a bunch of zeroes on "bad" or "old" ammo.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...arper-gao-waste/8145729/#sthash.4qGwyZUL.dpuf

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    That would actually make excellent sense.

Which is why they can't do it. They'll need to fund a $12,000,000.00 environmental study on the toxic effect of the powders, powders, and lead distribution into the soil. Then have to contract a hazmat company, approved by Obama, and paid an astronomical price to "safely and responsibly" decommission the ammo and recycle the usable components. So, instead of wasting $1B, it'll more likely be almost $2B. But hey, it's only money, right? Why not save that ammo for our future war with China? Or Russia over Ukraine? We have so many wars yet to declare, the century is still young.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Let me add a little insight to the overall picture. Having been in EOD for over 20 years, we destroyed tons of "unservicable" ammo. The majority of it was because the ammo had lost all of its identification data required by the government for inventory. Once a box of ammo is opened and loaded into a clip or magazine, the lot number and various other info is lost. When the soldier comes back from the field the unused rounds were usually dumped into an ammo can at the armory. If the armorer could issue them again before the next official inventory or send them to the range, all was good. Once an official inventory was conducted, any rounds without a lot number to ID them by, had to be destroyed. The best example of this was when the military switched from the 1911 to the M9. Thousands upon thousands of rounds, some that had probably set in mags since WWII, were turned in. Our team personally destroyed over 100 shipping conexs filled with "bad" ammo. Some looked as good as the day it was made while some looked like it had been buried under the ammo bunker rather than in it. There was no way this ammo could have been resold to the public without extensive sorting and quality control that would have been a major undertaking and expense. Think for a minute what you would do if you bought a can of surplus ammo that had just one round that was not right and it ruined your pistol or worse yet injured or killed someone through malfunction. I believe this is a liability that the government does not want to face.

I read the source story in USA Today and the GAO report. USA Today is misrepresenting the content of this GAO report. The report covers ammunition supply management, not diposal. The report references an earlier audit that reads: "According to a 2010 Army Audit Agency report, the Army had significantly underestimated the funding requirements needed to perform its conventional ammunition stockpile demilitarization mission has grown to over 557,000 tons, representing a $1 billion liability demilitarization mission . . . ."

The Army is always doing demil. The report is saying they have 557,000 tons of junk with no funds to destroy it. It could be artillery shells, propellent, mortars, det cord, blasting caps, etc. It does not mean it's all small arms ammo.

Sirex