Penalties for shooting a BB gun in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's why people here are being so hard on you:

We take responsible gun ownership very, very seriously around here. Guns are not toys, and we simply do not excuse foolish misuse of guns, even BB guns. We absolutely reject any talk of "It's just a BB gun!" or "It's not loaded". Foolish talk like that leads to negligent shootings. People get killed because of attitudes like that.

Maryland, and especially Montgomery County, is very anti-gun. We are in an ongoing struggle to prevent further abridgements of our rights, and we need to be very careful to demonstrate to the public that we are mature, responsible, law abiding members of the community.

It's not that your friend did such terrible damage to the stupid stop sign. It's that he did damage to US. I would like to be able to engage in safe target practice in my back yard with an air rifle. When I was in High School, I used to be able to do that, even shoot .22 rifles in my friend's back yard. I can't do that anymore, because irresponsible, immature fools like your friend have screwed things up the rest of us.

Yes, we honestly feel that he hurt us, by making us look bad, and by exciting the ignorant fears of that neighbor who called the cops. When more anti-gun legislation comes up next year, that neighbor is going to remember your friend's stupid stunt, and he is going to support more restrictions on our rights.

That neighbor is going to be talking to other neighbors, friends, and coworkers. He'll be telling them about the dangerous gun nuts running wild in the streets, shooting at stop signs. And some of those people are going to contact their state senator, Brian Frosh, and encourage him to push stricter laws to protect the stop signs of Maryland. It so happens that Senator Frosh is about our worst enemy in Annapolis, and he comes from Montgomery County. Your friend helped strengthen Frosh's anti-gun position. Your friend hurt us.

I'm telling you this respectfully. We take a really dim view of any misuse of guns, even BB guns, so we really have little or no sympathy for your friend.

Frankly, 20 years old is too old for such childish behavior. I pretty much got over that crap by age 13 or 14. You have a lot of spirit. Maybe you should keep an eye out for a more mature guy

May 15, 2012
    Pasadena, MD
    Sad part is they're not the only ones! This is the kind of crap that goes on where I work

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpg
      IMG_0705.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 192

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

We take responsible gun ownership very, very seriously around here. Guns are not toys, and we simply do not excuse foolish misuse of guns, even BB guns. We absolutely reject any talk of "It's just a BB gun!" or "It's not loaded". Foolish talk like that leads to negligent shootings. People get killed because of attitudes like that.

Maryland, and especially Montgomery County, is very anti-gun. We are in an ongoing struggle to prevent further abridgements of our rights, and we need to be very careful to demonstrate to the public that we are mature, responsible, law abiding members of the community.

It's not that your friend did such terrible damage to the stupid stop sign. It's that he did damage to US. I would like to be able to engage in safe target practice in my back yard with an air rifle. When I was in High School, I used to be able to do that, even shoot .22 rifles in my friend's back yard. I can't do that anymore, because irresponsible, immature fools like your friend have screwed things up the rest of us.

Yes, we honestly feel that he hurt us, by making us look bad, and by exciting the ignorant fears of that neighbor who called the cops. When more anti-gun legislation comes up next year, that neighbor is going to remember your friend's stupid stunt, and he is going to support more restrictions on our rights.

That neighbor is going to be talking to other neighbors, friends, and coworkers. He'll be telling them about the dangerous gun nuts running wild in the streets, shooting at stop signs. And some of those people are going to contact their state senator, Brian Frosh, and encourage him to push stricter laws to protect the stop signs of Maryland. It so happens that Senator Frosh is about our worst enemy in Annapolis, and he comes from Montgomery County. Your friend helped strengthen Frosh's anti-gun position. Your friend hurt us.

I'm telling you this respectfully. We take a really dim view of any misuse of guns, even BB guns, so we really have little or no sympathy for your friend.

Frankly, 20 years old is too old for such childish behavior. I pretty much got over that crap by age 13 or 14. You have a lot of spirit. Maybe you should keep an eye out for a more mature guy

:goodpost::sign11:
    well done sir!!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok, I'll answer your question.
    Have your friend take either a hunter safety course or some other basic shooting course. When he goes to court tell him to shave, comb his hair and wear a suit. He can tell the judge that he did something stupid and realized how wrong it was and decided, on his own, to obtain some proper gun handling training. Then throw himself on the mercy of the court, suck it up and take his punishment.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_safety

1.All guns are always loaded.
    2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3.Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4.Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

—Jeff Cooper

You have no idea how seriously we take this stuff.

I respect your spirit, by the way. You have demonstrated to me that you deserve a respectful response. So I'm trying to explain why folks here have been so intolerant of your friend's stunt.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    It only makes 2 (1?) people look bad. I think it shows our intolerance for stupidity as a community. :thumbsup:

I only really skimmed the thread, but yeah, stupidity isn't really tolerated, but when a few people make personal attacks, some people will just group up all gun owners like that. The damage is similar, if that makes any sense.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012

Quoted again, because you're exactly right.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Another 5 pages of wasted bandwidth, I don't know why you guys bother the effort. The kid will learn his lesson eventually maYbe, otherwise who cares? We can talk about paying for safety instruction but I don't this kid cares

I don't like to see peeps doing things like this, but there ain't nothing I can do to stop it, internet lectures make you look just as bad as the troll sometimes.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Ignorant people I swear.
    Yeah I dropped out of middle school and magically made it into college.
    Yay.

Standards have really fallen. Her posts are barely comprehendable. Back in my day, she would have been lucky to make it out of high school, let alone get accepted at a college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom