• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b-troll

FNG
    Sep 16, 2012
    Piney Orchard
    I’m not sure if this is the correct forum, however, I just got done harvesting some paw paws and they are delicious.

Some on the ground already but even more not quite ready to drop.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Flies in the sugar bowl, shoo flies shoo, skip to the lou my darling.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Well.... BOO ;)
    You can grow them from seed, though.
    1. Harvest the seeds from ripe fruit, strip them down to their brown outer shell, and rinse.
    2. Refrigerate them for 90-120 days, making sure they never dry out (damp paper towel in container with them works). Seeds will not sprout unless you do this.
    3. Plant seeds in a tall cardboard container, like a 12-14" long piece of cardboard mailing tube filled with soil.
    4. Keep soil warm, 75-80F, and moist. Tap root will form before leaves sprout.
    5. Once leaves appear, just plant entire tube.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    1. Harvest the seeds from ripe fruit, strip them down to their brown outer shell, and rinse.
    2. Refrigerate them for 90-120 days, making sure they never dry out (damp paper towel in container with them works). Seeds will not sprout unless you do this.
    3. Plant seeds in a tall cardboard container, like a 12-14" long piece of cardboard mailing tube filled with soil.
    I actually have 2 planted but got them from stark brothers i think. They are still small though.
    I thought they died this year as they sprouted leaves early and frost got them but they got a second set later.
    Not close to fruit stage...though

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah havent triedthat...

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I actually have 2 planted but got them from stark brothers i think. They are still small though.
    I thought they died this year as they sprouted leaves early and frost got them but they got a second set later.
    Not close to fruit stage...though
    IIRC you actually need at least two different cultivars to get successful pollination. Trees grown from seed, even from the same fruit, will usually be genetically different enough to pollinate.

These guys have a good selection:
    https://raintreenursery.com/collections/paw-paws

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom