• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Example case down in DC. It's called "Incommoding".

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com...lk-ends-dcs-law-against-blocking-the-sidewalk

"He says that the District’s incommoding statute is so vague that anyone on a sidewalk who isn’t moving is violating it. You don’t have to be sitting, you don’t have to be lying down. You just have to be there. Indeed, MPD’s general order to officers on incommoding and disorderly conduct notes that the people arrested for breaking the law might not even know they’re breaking it—which will make them even angrier.

“You could incommode the sidewalk just by standing in one place,” Mulhauser says.

Attorney Jeffrey Light has sued the District on behalf of Occupy protesters who say they were unjustly arrested for incommoding while protesting Bank of America downtown. Light says the incommoding statute’s vagueness offers police the perfect reason to arrest bothersome protesters.

“Any time you’re stationary on a sidewalk, no matter how little space you’re taking up, and no matter how big the sidewalk is, that is incommoding because nobody can be on the same part of the sidewalk that you’re sitting on,” Light says."

The thing is, cops simply standing on a sidewalk are also Incommoding.
    That is indeed terrifying. Standing on a sidewalk is a crime (if I decide that I don't want you there). I'm honestly at a loss for words...

-Andy

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I read somewhere on social media that their was a demonstration of women going on the same time in the state house while the demonstration outside was going on. The ladies were blocking the hallways and not letting people thru and yet their was no MCP around at all while this was going on. I am going to try to confirm that this was in fact going on.
    No equal protection under the law, at least in Annapolis, it seems.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    Sign idea:
    “My 1st Amend Rights STAND
    Even in Maryland-ISTAN”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Regarding where the order came from didn't one of the arresting officers say "things have changed" once someone mentioned this has taken place every Monday without problem?
    ICBWrong. hard to imagine how little freedom we actually have left.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    One thing our side needs to do is to have lots of video cameras. Some with long-range lenses to provide footage from 50 yards away. Ammo for the lawsuit...because there will be one.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Regarding where the order came from didn't one of the arresting officers say "things have changed" once someone mentioned this has taken place every Monday without problem?

He did say that.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I cannot sign-up on the water cooler post but I will be in attendance Monday night and will gladly bring a GoPro to capture some wide angle video while we exercise our first amendment rights. I sincerely look forward to meeting many of you there.

Adolph Oliver Bush

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 13, 2015
    Response to my second email from Chief Wilson:

The primary function of the Maryland Capitol Police is to provide a safe working environment for state employees and visitors that frequent state properties.

After two individuals were struck by vehicles on June 6, 2017 at 3:08pm and June 21, 2017 at 6:48pm the Maryland Capitol Police out of concern for public safety asked the group to move their location to Lawyers Mall.

The Maryland Capitol Police requires any organization planning a demonstration on state grounds to fill out and submit a Public Event Permit Applications which can be found on the Maryland Capitol Police website under "Demonstration Procedures", or at the following link: http://mcp.maryland.gov/Documents/MCP Form 3 - Public Event Permit Application - Part 1 (11-17).pdf.

Often the Maryland Capitol Police will allow unscheduled rallies and groups to protest without a permit if the space is available. The issue in this case was for public safety, the demonstrators were restricting pedestrians from freely using the sidewalks and crosswalks while distracting drivers, causing an unsafe environment.

The rules governing protests and demonstrations on state property are also available on the Maryland Capitol Police website by clicking the Demonstrating on Public Property link under "Demonstration Procedures", or at the following link: http://mcp.maryland.gov/Documents/DemonstratingonPublicProperty.pdf.

Demonstrations are also governed by COMAR 04.05.01.03.

There have been no recent changes to MCP policy concerning demonstrations.

On Monday February 5, 2017 at approximately 1920 hours MCP responded to a demonstration occurring without a permit, within the public right away of the sidewalk, at the intersection of Bladen Street and College Avenue, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Out of concern for public safety, and in an abundance of caution due to two pedestrians being struck by vehicles in the last year and a half, and nearly half dozen reported pedestrian complaints concerning vehicles failing to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, the demonstrating group was asked to relocate to Lawyers Mall.

After three (3) requests to move from the sidewalk and into Lawyers Mall, two individuals refused to move and were subsequently arrested. The reason for this relocation was to allow unobstructed passage of pedestrians on the sidewalk and not to continue to distract driver’s attention near the crosswalks at this intersection.

The persons arrested were affiliated with the group “Patriot Protest”. The mission of the Patriot Picket Organization is to; promote this media-savvy form of Second Amendment activism everywhere, to share our knowledge and experience in high-visibility sign picketing, refine our political tactics, improve our media interview techniques, and persuade our fellow Patriots nationwide to pick up a sign and join (https://patriotpicket.org/).

The Patriot Picket Organization was clearly causing a safety issue, which was concerning to the Department. There were several safety issues and concerns, for example:

· Time and Location of this particular demonstration

· There have been several pedestrians struck by vehicles at this location

· Visibility was limited, due to darkness. Tower lights are used to increase visibility

· Maryland Legislative Session was to convene at 2000 hours, and there were several pedestrians in the area, using the crosswalk.

· The group was using signs, limiting pedestrian flow on the sidewalks, distracting drivers, causing an unsafe environment.

Arrestees were transported to the Annapolis Police Department where they were charged on a criminal citation. The remainder of the group then proceeded to the Mall area to continue their protest.

Charges:

1. Criminal Law Article 6-409 (b) Refusal or Failure to Leave Public Building or Grounds

A person may not refuse or fail to leave a public building or grounds, or a specific part or a public building or grounds, during regular business hours if:

(1) The surrounding circumstances would indicate to a reasonable person that the person who refuses or fails to leave:

(i) has no apparent lawful business to pursue at the public buildings or grounds; or

(ii) is acting in a manner disruptive of and disrupting to the conduct of normal business by the government unit that owns , operates, or maintains the public buildings and grounds; and

(2) An authorized employee of the government unit asks the person to leave.

2. Criminal Law Article 10-201 Disorderly Conduct, Disturbance or the Public Peace, Nuisances

12 (c) (1) A person may not willfully and without lawful purpose obstruct or hinder the free passage of another in a public place or on a public conveyance.

3. COMAR – 04.05.01.03 - Prohibited Conduct

A. An individual shall be subject to arrest if the individual: Obstructs entrances, walks, corridors, elevators, offices, stairways, or parking lots.

Dear Chief Wilson,

BS. I was there. You were not. Jeff and Kevin were absolutely not blocking the sidewalk, nor was there usually any pedestrians to obstruct even if they wanted to. The pedestrian accidents that you cite were last year, so why were we allowed to be on the public sidewalk for half a dozen or so Monday nights already this year? After reading your response above, I absolutely and completely retract the compliment that I paid to you elsewhere in this forum. See you next Monday night.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Look at that horse, that horse is amazing...

We should all break out in song. 200+ of us singing “my horse is amazing” would be.....amazing.

We need to know who changed things.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Dear Chief Wilson,

BS. I was there. You were not. Jeff and Kevin were absolutely not blocking the sidewalk, nor was there usually any pedestrians to obstruct even if they wanted to. The pedestrian accidents that you cite were last year, so why were we allowed to be on the public sidewalk for half a dozen or so Monday nights already this year? After reading your response above, I absolutely and completely retract the compliment that I paid to you elsewhere in this forum. See you next Monday night.
    He didn't lie!!! Surely not.

The damned truth must have changed....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads