• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I'm looking to get into archery, and have been looking into buying a used bow to at least get my feet wet before getting into anything serious. I have come across a Parker Extreme Hunter bow from someone who's asking $200 for it. It doesn't look to have accessories with it, but I'd mainly like to hear from anybody who's had any experiences with it.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I don't have that model, but I do have a Parker Wildfire that I purchased new back in 2008, and I don't have anything bad to say about it. It's held up great despite being dropped out of a treestand a time or two.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Make sure the bow fits you before committing to buy. Draw length and weight vary. It maybe in your best interest to get fitted/measured and draw weight checked by someone knowledgeable before buying a bow that may or may not work for you.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Make sure the bow fits you before committing to buy. Draw length and weight vary. It maybe in your best interest to get fitted/measured and draw weight checked by someone knowledgeable before buying a bow that may or may not work for you.

:party29:great advice.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Parker makes a decent bow. As long as it fits you, you should have no problems.:thumbsup:

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Right, I had planned on getting measured beforehand. I just haven't had any experiences with a Parker. Thanks for the advice.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county

So waist a pro shops time 1hour + when they could be working with someone they could sell a bow to and than don't buy a thing and buy a used bow .
    GREAT ADVICE !!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So waist a pro shops time 1hour + when they could be working with someone they could sell a bow to and than don't buy a thing and buy a used bow .
    GREAT ADVICE !!

It's called customer relations.
    You walk in. Explain your reason for being there. They tell you to get lost...lost a future customer.
    You treat people right, they'll remember and come back and give you some business.
    This is where Dickhead Gun Shop Owner Syndrome comes from.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    I was looking at something along THESE lines. I understand the concept of buy once cry once, but I'd really like to get something that I can get into minimally before I commit to a major purchase. Obviously it doesn't have all the gadgets on it and needs to be restrung, but I figured it might be a good solid base? I'd welcome anybody's opinion. How much would it cost to restring? Anything else I'd need to be weary of?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, to be honest, if you put $200 into it...you'd have a $200 bow. You could do better if you went into a bow shop and looked at their used/consignment bows. A bow like the one in your pic is not trust worthy from a safety standpoint. At least from a pro shop, the used bows have been looked over by staff and can answer any questions you may have and, be able to shoot before you buy.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I agree with Outrider. If you don't know what to look for in a used bow, I would avoid it. There may be small cracks in the limbs, bent cams etc. A shop won't sell something that's unsafe. Strings are $45-$85, depending on the material and number of colors. Putting them on, is about $5-$10 or free in a shop that gets to know you.
    My best advice is go to a shop and talk to them. They can help you in every way. They may not have a used bow for you, but may know a customer who wants to sell one. I thought the same way you are now. I went to a local shop and I'm very glad I did. They didn't charge me to put my new strings on, that I bought from someone else. A shop will get you set-up and you will enjoy your experience a lot more, again that's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom