• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh1engine

SRT Medic
    Mar 8, 2011
    Jefferson, MD
    I tried searching but didn't find anything that pertained to exactly what I am looking for. What was the form used prior to the 77R and how can I get a copy of the paperwork I filled out for regulated firearms purchased prior to 2013? Unfortunately I cannot find the original paperwork and need proof that I took possession of the firearms through the correct method.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The MSP has a list of everything you ever bought on a 77R. You can petition them for yours.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Why would you need to prove it? If there’s some sort of legal issue, they would have to prove you didn’t.
    Like mentioned in the previous post, MSP has a record of every regulated firearm you’ve ever purchased in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josh1engine

SRT Medic
    Mar 8, 2011
    Jefferson, MD
    I don't want to publicly go into to much detail, but it has to do with the dreaded ERPO and MSP being their typical selves. I have 2 regulated firearms that were purchased prior to 2013 and want to find paperwork to help my case.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    You could submit a public information act request for everything they have on you.
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/PublicInformationRequest.aspx

4. Do I have a right to obtain a record about me even if it is otherwise confidential under the PIA?

In some cases yes, the PIA grants a “person in interest” a right to access some records that are otherwise not available to the public under the PIA. A person in interest is usually the person who is the subject of the record.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it was an FFL transaction you could also ask the FFL as a favor if they can copy the 4473 for you (I think they also used to keep one of those copies of the paper 77r). But of course you can’t compel them and you’d probably have to kick back some money to them to spend some time going back through 8 or more years of bound book.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I tried searching but didn't find anything that pertained to exactly what I am looking for. What was the form used prior to the 77R and how can I get a copy of the paperwork I filled out for regulated firearms purchased prior to 2013? Unfortunately I cannot find the original paperwork and need proof that I took possession of the firearms through the correct method.
    Seek out a good 2A lawyer for advice and assistance.

Your questions don’t make much sense- if you were served an ERPO, they take everything and may never get around to gibbing it back (depends what jurisdiction seized your property and so on.)

If it was a handgun- regulated firearm- MSP has the records going back well into the 1980’s for all 77R transfers. If you bought something privately, only YOU would have a record - if you keep meticulous copies of bills of sale.

DCW is correct- request all records from the MSP in your name, they must comply (eventually).

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    The MSP has a list of everything you ever bought on a 77R. You can petition them for yours.

This is correct- they can actually look these up so a printed version should be something they can produce albeit only with a FOIA request I believe. The 77R has been used since I believe 1998.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I can barely read some of my old paperwork, them carbon copies are crap. I struggle to tell what i own. I hope the MPS copies are better (NOT):innocent0

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I can barely read some of my old paperwork, them carbon copies are crap. I struggle to tell what i own. I hope the MPS copies are better (NOT):innocent0

I got a 65 page report of everything i every bought in MD. Of course a lot of them were sold or traded. In their eyes, I own every single item on the list, unless of course, I can provide a receipt.

Back when you could sell FTF, I sold a revolver to coworker of 3 years. Fast forward 10 years and the ATF and BPC were knocking on my door. I didn't have a dog, so there's that. But anyway, the revolver was used in a crime in which 3 guys ended up dead over a drug deal. They asked me if I had it. I told them I sold it a long time ago. They asked if I could prove it. I said yes if I can find the receipt, but I remember the name of the guy who bought it. Again, it was not some random person. I luckily had the receipt and made them wait out side until I found it. Once I said the guys name and produced the receipt, I was good to go. The pistol is still (I believe) on that list and the purchaser is doing life.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I got a 65 page report of everything i every bought in MD. Of course a lot of them were sold or traded. In their eyes, I own every single item on the list, unless of course, I can provide a receipt.

Back when you could sell FTF, I sold a revolver to coworker of 3 years. Fast forward 10 years and the ATF and BPC were knocking on my door. I didn't have a dog, so there's that. But anyway, the revolver was used in a crime in which 3 guys ended up dead over a drug deal. They asked me if I had it. I told them I sold it a long time ago. They asked if I could prove it. I said yes if I can find the receipt, but I remember the name of the guy who bought it. Again, it was not some random person. I luckily had the receipt and made them wait out side until I found it. Once I said the guys name and produced the receipt, I was good to go. The pistol is still (I believe) on that list and the purchaser is doing life.

Its a list of transfers TO YOU, not a list of what you own, so yes, every regulated firearm you ever purchased or had transferred to you via a 77R will be on that list.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Its a list of transfers TO YOU, not a list of what you own, so yes, every regulated firearm you ever purchased or had transferred to you via a 77R will be on that list.

That's what I was saying. The list is what I bought (got transferred to me). The problem is state most likely thinks I still have all of them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's what I was saying. The list is what I bought (got transferred to me). The problem is state most likely thinks I still have all of them.

Nah, they just know you bought/had them transferred to you. While they aren't supposed to be able to, they can, and have, done a numerical search of a serial number to find the last transfer. So while you may sold a handgun to me, if they search, they will come to me as the last transfer, instead of you.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Nah, they just know you bought/had them transferred to you. While they aren't supposed to be able to, they can, and have, done a numerical search of a serial number to find the last transfer. So while you may sold a handgun to me, if they search, they will come to me as the last transfer, instead of you.

Good to know, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom