• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afwelb

Jul 4, 2022
    Maryland
    Howdy ya’ll,

Just recently moved to Maryland and had a few questions relating to the insane/draconian Maryland gun laws and our beloved firearms manufactures’ interpretation of them. On PSA’s fourth of July sale, I tried to purchase a 20” PSA AR10 kit with a heavy barrel (but non HBAR stamped) from the PSA website and have it shipped to my house as I would in any other state. I was then planning to ship a stripped PSA 308 lower to my local ffl and put it all together for a estimated grand total of $750. Anyways, my order was secretly cancelled by PSA as I found out a few days later that my credit card had been refunded. I called and the operator said he couldn’t discuss why my order was cancelled but that I would receive an email in a few days explaining why it was. I have yet to receive this email. Has anyone had an issue such as this before? I have consulted my local FFL, the law, and locals who all said there is nothing that should prevent me from buying an ar10 kit and shipping it to my house. What am I missing? Should I have ordered the kit to an ffl? Is this just a PSA thing? I have always loved PSA but am very disappointed in how they are handling this. Looks like the anti gunners may have scared this company out of dealing with law abiding citizens in legal transactions. Thanks in advance, guys.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    the lower was the problem. Your FFL has to order lowers or completed firearms from PSA. No laws involved, just their policy with MD. I have received several completed uppers from them.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Often other companies don’t know the laws here enough to be willing to sell or ship us stuff. So they do things based on their own interpretations. I’ve had to convince different out of state vendors to sell me stuff through ffls. I’m speaking of firearms though but it happens with other stuff.

Is your lower already in your possession and they cancelled the upper kit?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    It’s been a few years since I’ve looked at an AR10 from PSA but i remember the Gen1 kits were only compatible with PSA parts. Since AR10s were never “milspec” it’s an odd mix of what works and what doesn’t with different manufacturers.

Generally said I enjoy PSA stuff and they stand behind their products.

Afwelb

Jul 4, 2022
    Maryland
    the lower was the problem. Your FFL has to order lowers or completed firearms from PSA. No laws involved, just their policy with MD. I have received several completed uppers from them.
    You’re saying that the lower parts kit is my problem? This is the exact model number. I just don’t see how this is illegal/perceived to be illegal to buy in MD.

Attachments

• B35ED73B-AA4A-4286-8A67-8B3AE7361338.png
      B35ED73B-AA4A-4286-8A67-8B3AE7361338.png
      86.1 KB · Views: 55

Afwelb

Jul 4, 2022
    Maryland
    Often other companies don’t know the laws here enough to be willing to sell or ship us stuff. So they do things based on their own interpretations. I’ve had to convince different out of state vendors to sell me stuff through ffls. I’m speaking of firearms though but it happens with other stuff.

Is your lower already in your possession and they cancelled the upper kit?
    I have not ordered the stripped lower yet. Just the parts kit was cancelled.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    That’s strange because the 308s are not regulated like the 5.56 but still might be pulled due to someone in the company. Maybe they just ran out and decided to give your money back rather than sit on it.

Definitely the lower would go to an ffl and is a more obvious procedure to follow when you get to that stage of the build.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My thought, based on what I'm seeing on PSA, is that your order fell through the cracks and they were out of stock for that particular kit before your order could be filled. I don't think it has anything to do with being in MD. Nothing in that kit is regulated because there is no lower receiver.

I've ordered PSA lowers myself and had them shipped to an FFL for transfer - the FFL doesn't have to be the one to order them.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My thought, based on what I'm seeing on PSA, is that your order fell through the cracks and they were out of stock for that particular kit before your order could be filled. I don't think it has anything to do with being in MD. Nothing in that kit is regulated because there is no lower receiver.

I've ordered PSA lowers myself and had them shipped to an FFL for transfer - the FFL doesn't have to be the one to order them.
    That has NOT been my experience. It used to be their policy. I tried once a few years back and thats what I was told.

You’re saying that the lower parts kit is my problem? This is the exact model number. I just don’t see how this is illegal/perceived to be illegal to buy in MD.
    Since there was no lower included, this was probably a gaffe on their end.
    PSA is weird about shipping lowers to Marylandistan. Complete lowers have to be ordered by an FFL, stripped lowers can be ordered by people and shipped to an FFL unless Bob is working that day.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I always call the ffl and ask if they will transfer it in for me first. Then I purchase the regulated item and see who will get the ffl data from the ffl. Sometimes the ffl will send their data over to the vendor and sometimes the vendor will contact them.

Sometimes ffls don’t have space or time for stuff so I always ask first. The 2nd part is all about who is willing to do the admin work on who calls who first to get the ffl number transmitted to the vendor.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That has NOT been my experience. It used to be their policy. I tried once a few years back and thats what I was told.
    Interesting. I've ordered all kinds of stuff from PSA - never a completed lower, but plenty of lowers - and I've never had it denied. I just list my preferred FFL and that's where it goes.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You’re saying that the lower parts kit is my problem? This is the exact model number. I just don’t see how this is illegal/perceived to be illegal to buy in MD
    Not LPK, but the stripped lower you mentioned.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    PSA is a crap shoot with orders.
    Rifles seem to be far more a of a problem than pistols. Bare lowers usually no problem but complete lowers have been 50/50. I don’t know if it’s the person taking the order but it definitely isn’t consistent.

Afwelb

Jul 4, 2022
    Maryland
    Since there was no lower included, this was probably a gaffe on their end.
    PSA is weird about shipping lowers to Marylandistan. Complete lowers have to be ordered by an FFL, stripped lowers can be ordered by people and shipped to an FFL unless Bob is working that day.
    Very interesting, I’ll spread this moving forward. Though, I hesitate to say it makes sense….I’ll update this post when this is resolved, as well as post pics of my baby if I ever get her assembled.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Complete parts kit shouldn't be an issue since I ordered PA10 complete kit and have it shipped to my house with no issue recently... also got complete upper from them several months ago. NOT sure what the issue on their end is....

You should be able to order "stripped" lower and have it shipped to your FFL. I ordered two of their "blemished stripped" PA10 lowers ($99 each with free shipping), after receiving PA10 complete kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom