• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Both Pre-Capitulation
    Top one is a early June 1940, all matching but bayonet is unserialized.
    Bottom one is a December 1939 with mismatched bolt but rifle and bolt are both “H” series.

Of all the MilSurp rifles, the French MAS is one of my favorites.
    I have no idea why. It's ugly and has that goofy bolt handle but I just really enjoy shooting it.

I know....only dropped once.....

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 6.08.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 6.08.31 AM.png

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I think they're interesting but do not own any.
    The trigger bow looks US, the bolt knob looks UK with the exception of the stem, the fore end is reminiscent of a Martini, the buttstock looks like a model 12 with a Springfield special target pistol grip/stock configuration etc.
    Id like to know how they shoot and all that.
    DeHaas' book has a good write up on them for gunsmithing sporterizing etc.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I think they're interesting but do not own any.
    The trigger bow looks US, the bolt knob looks UK with the exception of the stem, the fore end is reminiscent of a Martini, the buttstock looks like a model 12 with a Springfield special target pistol grip/stock configuration etc.
    Id like to know how they shoot and all that.
    DeHaas' book has a good write up on them for gunsmithing sporterizing etc.
    I like shooting them - they are no target rifle but I guess they were good enough for combat.

The peep sights have a big aperture and a wide front post.

The length of pull is very short and they are heavy for no bigger than they are.

The goofy angle of the bolt handle takes some getting used to but I kinda like it.

I have not shot the 1940 yet and I have only shot the 1939 at coffee cans at less than 50 yards so I really can't speak to their MOA-type accuracy.

They are very "squared off". The receiver is almost a perfect rectangular cube of steel and the stock and hand guards are also fairly crude.

Aesthetics wasn't a priority in the design that's for sure and that's part of the reason I think I like them.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Sub MOA and laundry lists of product manufacture details are for training wheels telescope enthusiasts. Nerds, wimps and guys who dont clean their guns. (S) or may be named Larry.
    I bet you could stick weld a ford alternator bracket to one of those and not have any negative effect on end usability.
    Nice grab I kind of like them.
    Does the sling go on the opposite side like a Mauser carbine?

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Sub MOA and laundry lists of product manufacture details are for training wheels telescope enthusiasts. Nerds, wimps and guys who dont clean their guns. (S) or may be named Larry.
    I bet you could stick weld a ford alternator bracket to one of those and not have any negative effect on end usability.
    Nice grab I kind of like them.
    Does the sling go on the opposite side like a Mauser carbine?
    Lol...I'm with ya on that.

Yes the slings go on the opposite side.

Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 4.55.15 PM.png

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I just sold a non-numbers matching MAS 36 last year. It was a decent shooter but ammo was not easy to find and I needed the money for other things. I do like the design though. The bayonet is a very intimidating attachment compared to traditional types.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I just sold a non-numbers matching MAS 36 last year. It was a decent shooter but ammo was not easy to find and I needed the money for other things. I do like the design though. The bayonet is a very intimidating attachment compared to traditional types.
    IIRC if the French troops were into a protest, they would take two rifles and one or two bayonets and somehow lock the two rifles together, rendering them inoperable.

May be a BS story but I heard that somewhere.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    According to Ian McCollum, the MAS-36 was intended to be a less expensive second line rifle. The front line infantry were to get a state of the art semi-auto that hadn't been developed yet when the Germans threw a monkey wrench in the plans.
    Yes, two rifles can be locked together by the bayonets. Early versions required damage to separate them. There was a modification that solved it. I can't imagine a sergeant being too happy with a couple numbskulls that tried that trick.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Mas 36 purchased from a fellow MDS collector extraordinaire also as part of my WWII collection.
    French soldiers fought hard leading up to Dunkirk. Their leaders were backwards thinking and overly trustworthy of the Germans and failed them miserably. Maginot line was out dated and fortifications were weak on the Belgium and Luxemborg borders

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I love the pre-war examples with all the milled bits. Very much like Springfield 1903s where later examples were simplified with stamped bits to speed up production and keep costs at bay. Early MAS 36s are definitely more elegant compared to those assembled post war.
    My favorite at the range is the GL version MAS 36/51. That little extra weight at the muzzle helps keep flip and recoil to a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom