• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    So I'm building a car first aid/trauma kit. I like the idea of putting it in a waterproof plastic case like a Pelican case. Have any of you come up with a fool proof way to paint this type of case and have the paint actually stay put?

I imagine that primer and paint would hold up, but maybe not.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    If it is going to live in your car, primer/paint should be just fine. Maybe an epoxy type paint. Point of curiosity though, why are you looking to paint it?

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    So I'm building a car first aid/trauma kit. I like the idea of putting it in a waterproof plastic case like a Pelican case. Have any of you come up with a fool proof way to paint this type of case and have the paint actually stay put?

I imagine that primer and paint would hold up, but maybe not.
    I've read elsewhere sanding with a finer grit helps the paint/primer stick better.
    If you use the 'ol laundry bag stencil method or any other complex camo id love to see the results!
    Might want to start with a coyote and not black case so when it wears it will wear like a fine whoowine.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Getting good bonding, especially on plastic, is all about surface prep. Clean with isopropol/rubbing alcohol. Sand with fine grit and clean again with alcohol. Krylon makes paint specifically for plastic as well as primers for that. check out their website.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    So I'm building a car first aid/trauma kit. I like the idea of putting it in a waterproof plastic case …​

I’m confused; WHY any need to paint anything when they are already - readily available in ….

EMT Orange …

and a multitude of different sizes … (?)

Attachments

• IMG_6043.png
      IMG_6043.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 16
    • IMG_6042.png
      IMG_6042.png
      725.1 KB · Views: 14

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Getting good bonding, especially on plastic, is all about surface prep. Clean with isopropol/rubbing alcohol. Sand with fine grit and clean again with alcohol. Krylon makes paint specifically for plastic as well as primers for that. check out their website.
    this is your answer .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I use a dry bag.

Why use a hard pelican case, when you can use a dry bag that can double as a back pack?

Good point. Also can be fit into a wider variety of spaces due to flexibility, if you have to load up your trunk with something and need to move things around.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Found this posted on another site. Couldn't find on the Pelican site so take it for what it is worth.

From Pelican website:
    "What adhesives and/or paints can be used on the cases?
    Due to the nature of the polypropylene being chemically inert, very little will attack the material. That also means that very few adhesives and paints will adhere satisfactorily. For an adhesive, we have found that 3M’s DP-8005 two-part adhesive works very well with our case material. It has also been reported that “Shoe Goo” works very well. For paint, Krylon has a product out called Fusion that they claim will adhere to polyolefin-based materials like polypropylene."

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    this "Krylon has a product out called Fusion"

I’ve used it before and it’s pretty solid. I’ve also used Aluma-Hyde which works really well especially if you can cure the paint inside of an oven at a relatively lower temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will likely buy a Pelican-like case from Harbor Freight. I was planning on the smaller one, which only comes in black. I'm planning on painting it red, which is not available on any of the sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom