• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I've been doing tons of searching on this and just can't find any real good answers. I have a new shiny SS barrel for my AR-15 that I want to paint flat black. I would ideally like a paint that air cures.

What I've learned:
    Rough up the surface slightly
    Degrease
    Degrease
    Degrease
    Paint

The paint itself is what I've been having trouble finding. I need suggestions on something that will not flake off, handle the heat of the barrel, and not come off with cleaners. I bought some Rustoleum BBQ paint, then read that it doesn't stay on very well.

Budget: $50 shipped

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Check out John Norrell Arms. They have a MolyResin product and can do the entire rifle or just the barrel in just about any color (especially Magpul specific colors). Barrel refinishing looks to be within your budget. John Norrell has a solid reputation......

For more information and specific pricing click on the "Refinishing Services Tab". Barrels only looks to be $20-$40 plus shipping.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/default.asp

RP

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    The other way to go is using a black oxide coating (i.e. bluing). Stainless takes well to bluing and will likely produce a matte black finish. The barrel will still need prep like painting, but the finish will be cheaper and more durable.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    The other way to go is using a black oxide coating (i.e. bluing). Stainless takes well to bluing and will likely produce a matte black finish. The barrel will still need prep like painting, but the finish will be cheaper and more durable.

Did some reading/youtubing and I think this is the route I'm going to go, the barrel is so nice looking I hated to have to paint it, but it sounds like that is actually an advantage to bluing. This wasn't even on my radar, thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or to go devil's advocate, use BBQ paint. So what if it wears , it's cheap. Touch it up again, repeat.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I'm about to give up, so lets take a vote, blacken it, or leave it be.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpg
      IMG_0896.jpg
      125.5 KB · Views: 177
    • IMG_0897.jpg
      IMG_0897.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 174

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    I wasn't sure what to do with my stainless barrel, so it's wearing Krylon for now.
    If I bead blast it, do I still have to paint it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom