• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    bought a used stock that has been painted in the past. most of the paint has been removed. anything recomended to remove the rest of it? its on a MOE stock if that matters

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    it depends a lot on the paint.
    try denatured alcohol first. if that doesnt work start with weak solvents like fingernail polish remover or mineral spirits. try it on a small inconspicuous area first.
    good luck.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    Everclear, the high-test blend. That stuff will dissolve most things.

Including inhibitions and brain cells if used for it's intended purpose!

I'd avoid using acetone or brake cleaner if the stock is plastic, as these can destroy some kinds of plastic. Mineral spirits would likely be the safest first try, along with alcohol.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Not too sure about everclear since I use it cleaning guns anyway, I have not found it to remove a finish, except for the nice smooth finish of my farmer hands if I forget to put on latex gloves. Might wanna try some finger nail polish remover like stated already. Hell, I guess try everclear too, I would like to know if it removes paint just in case.

Def. Do not use brake/carb/choke cleaner on plastic! I switched to everclear for the sole reason of that crap eating some plastic parts of a piece of equipment I was working on once. Never used it on guns, and I'm glad I hadn't learned my lesson that way. Everclear is safe on all my weapons.

Last edited:

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Not too sure about everclear since I use it cleaning guns anyway, I have not found it to remove a finish, except for the nice smooth finish of my farmer hands if I forget to put on latex gloves. Might wanna try some finger nail polish remover like stated already. Hell, I guess try everclear too, I would like to know if it removes paint just in case.

Def. Do not use brake/carb/choke cleaner on plastic! I switched to everclear for the sole reason of that crap eating some plastic parts of a piece of equipment I was working on once. Never used it on guns, and I'm glad I hadn't learned my lesson that way. Everclear is safe on all my weapons.

A friend of mine got acrylic paint on his glasses. Everclear and a cotton ball took it right off.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Try a citrus based paint remover. If using on plastic, test in an inconspicuous place FIRST!

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I've worked in the paint business for years. I agree with citrus based remover first. I would try the following products in the following order:
    -goo gone ( citrus )
    -denatured alcohol
    -goof off
    -oops remover
    -back to nature soy based paint stripper

Most of these products can be found at HD/Lowes. Everything but the goof off can be found at Sherwin-Williams

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I've worked in the paint business for years. I agree with citrus based remover first. I would try the following products in the following order:
    -goo gone ( citrus )
    -denatured alcohol
    -goof off
    -oops remover
    -back to nature soy based paint stripper

Most of these products can be found at HD/Lowes. Everything but the goof off can be found at Sherwin-Williams

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

are you a painter?
    or work at a store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom