• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I love the paddle holster when doing OWB. (Actually this thought process can apply to IWB as well) but I noticed with the paddles sometimes they pinch/chafe.
    Has anyone found something to put on the portion that is inside the beltline to help prevent or limit pinching and chafing?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'm not sure if this would be a perfect solution, but a Dr. Scholls product, called moleskin might smooth things out for you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Here's the bottom line : The issue is the exact shape of the paddle vs the exact contours of your hip .

The more flexible the paddle , the more forgiving the comfort with mismatch .

Everything else equal , the narrower the paddle , the less likely to pinch or dig in . Yes , carried too far , can make the holster less stable . But think a Medium vs an extra wide .

Which would be most comfortable for you ? Damnifino . My hip , butt , and dunlop are probably different from yours .
    I do own some rigid paddles I've accumulated , that someday I will narrow and tweak with a dremel .

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ya know, i've used it for years on my feet, never thought to stick it to a holster lol
    Moleskin is a good option. You can also wrap the paddle area below belt line in self adhering blood stop tape. The trade name eludes me this early. Rip-off? Maybe.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    For this reason I moved to a primarily pancake holsters for OWB. I know some will say that the convenience of the paddle is lost if you switch to a pancake. I say not so much-- if I have to remove the firearm anyway because of location I just wind up wearing an empty holster. Firearm goes in a lockbox or you can use a trigger guard holster. Easy peasy. But back on point ---I can see the moleskin being a potential option but it may not cure the discomfort that arises from the paddle pressure on the bone.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I prefer paddles for OWB. I dabble in leatherwork so I cut a heavy leather piece that covers the paddle and extends high and wide enough to soften the contact between skin and handgun. Glue on with E6000. Protects handgun from perspiration aand protects skin from chafing Works well for me on three different rigs.
    fe0d6c6ef337dfda91d1c0395be81d00.jpg

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Adjust it back and forth on your hip until you find the most comfortable (let's be honest... least offensive) position. I don't wear a gun without an undershirt. I find that a good cotton undershirt provides enough of a release that the gun doesn't snag or catch too much.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Here's the bottom line : The issue is the exact shape of the paddle vs the exact contours of your hip .

The more flexible the paddle , the more forgiving the comfort with mismatch .

Everything else equal , the narrower the paddle , the less likely to pinch or dig in . Yes , carried too far , can make the holster less stable . But think a Medium vs an extra wide .

Which would be most comfortable for you ? Damnifino . My hip , butt , and dunlop are probably different from yours .
    I do own some rigid paddles I've accumulated , that someday I will narrow and tweak with a dremel .
    Oddly the one that bit me the most? was the smaller footprint "11 gear" that came with the Operator 45

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I prefer paddles for OWB. I dabble in leatherwork so I cut a heavy leather piece that covers the paddle and extends high and wide enough to soften the contact between skin and handgun. Glue on with E6000. Protects handgun from perspiration aand protects skin from chafing Works well for me on three different rigs.
    fe0d6c6ef337dfda91d1c0395be81d00.jpg
    I've actually been considering getting into leatherwork as a hobby for the relaxation effect of just "mindlessly" using tools to make leather items. I also considered this in the future to make my own kydex/hybrids. Good idea :D

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Adjust it back and forth on your hip until you find the most comfortable (let's be honest... least offensive) position. I don't wear a gun without an undershirt. I find that a good cotton undershirt provides enough of a release that the gun doesn't snag or catch too much.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    Yea for years I've just used one t shirt, but that doesn't help when I'm trying to even moderately attempt to conceal it. I love the convenience of the paddle for going to prohibited places.. I think having an empty holster is just... weird (to me).
    I do need to get an assortment of true undershirts :D

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    For this reason I moved to a primarily pancake holsters for OWB. I know some will say that the convenience of the paddle is lost if you switch to a pancake. I say not so much-- if I have to remove the firearm anyway because of location I just wind up wearing an empty holster. Firearm goes in a lockbox or you can use a trigger guard holster. Easy peasy. But back on point ---I can see the moleskin being a potential option but it may not cure the discomfort that arises from the paddle pressure on the bone.
    I do have a single 3 slot pancake for my 1911, but the operator 45 has a rail and doesn't fit quite right (though I suppose I could soak the leather to make in pliable, then have it form to the railed 1911)

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I do have a single 3 slot pancake for my 1911, but the operator 45 has a rail and doesn't fit quite right (though I suppose I could soak the leather to make in pliable, then have it form to the railed 1911)
    Options abound-- I wear my pancake holsters pretty much "all" the time (hours on end) with little to no discomfort. I find they also keep the firearm grip tucked closer into my waste than my paddle holsters. YMMV

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Before completely giving up on the paddle, you could try heating the paddle itself with a heat gun and forming a contour that better fits where it is sitting on your hip.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Yup , had me cursing with my first railed 1911 , and didn't fit my boned 1911 holsters . ( And I didn't even want a rail , but the gun happened to have one .)

But nowadays , most 1911 pancakes will fit most rails .

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Yup , had me cursing with my first railed 1911 , and didn't fit my boned 1911 holsters . ( And I didn't even want a rail , but the gun happened to have one .)

But nowadays , most 1911 pancakes will fit most rails .
    Aye, but this IS a sweet piece....

Attachments

• 20221127_112136.jpg
      20221127_112136.jpg
      257.6 KB · Views: 44

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    The primary offending paddle...

Attachments

• 20221201_221321.jpg