• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No one's mentioned that PA already has an annual car inspection. They could just read the mileage there and make it part of the fee.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No one's mentioned that PA already has an annual car inspection. They could just read the mileage there and make it part of the fee.
    nooooo, we are trying to get rid of that BS. The inspection program costs the state several million, being it costs more to run the program and print stickers than the program makes in revenue. End the program, apply the savings to the highway fund, no new taxes. It's pathetic how often .gov is successful in raising or creating new tax schemes simply with "see those people over there?, we steal more money from you than we steal from them" and almost without fail the public answers "yea, F-em, make them pay more, hey thanks government".

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    nooooo, we are trying to get rid of that BS. The inspection program costs the state several million, being it costs more to run the program and print stickers than the program makes in revenue. End the program, apply the savings to the highway fund, no new taxes. It's pathetic how often .gov is successful in raising or creating new tax schemes simply with "see those people over there?, we steal more money from you than we steal from them" and almost without fail the public answers "yea, F-em, make them pay more, hey thanks government".
    I'm torn on required annual inspections. I hate money mandates from big brother, but after the number of sh!t vehicles with rusted frames patched together with wood and tape, damaged wheels, etc on Just Rolled In, I can be convinced inspections are a good thing.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm torn on required annual inspections. I hate money mandates from big brother, but after the number of sh!t vehicles with rusted frames patched together with wood and tape, damaged wheels, etc on Just Rolled In, I can be convinced inspections are a good thing.
    Not to mention car salesmen rolling back the odometers, so they can get a better price for the car.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    In theory, it's a good idea, in practice not so much. There was a LOT of money involved in keeping the inspections, and funding biased studies from various auto industry folk. Part of the reason they are going away is that many of us in the industry knows they don't work as intended, or have an issue with a state mandated fee that doesn't get close to covering the time it takes to actually do an inspection on a car that needs it. Out of the 31 states that had some sort of inspection program, it's currently down to 15 with most having bills to end it. The main issue is that there are no actually independent studies that can show the program reduces accidents or injuries due to component failure. In practice you have a ton of newer cars that really don't need an inspection, lots of things that will pass, but can fail between inspections, and a TON of corruption and sticker lickers(paying shops to pass failed stuff). In the end it really doesn't benefit anyone except for shops getting a few bucks to slap a sticker on relatively new vehicles. I'm in the auto industry, held a MD inspection license when I was a tech, and saw first hand how corrupt that burocratic mess actually is.

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    If they abolished the fuel tax and replaced it with a mileage based use tax I could be OK with it.

But I'm NEVER OK with a new tax.
    It’s already being done in some states. Eventually we will be tracked via gps so they can keep track of our mileage. Ya gotta love our government!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It’s already being done in some states. Eventually we will be tracked via gps so they can keep track of our mileage. Ya gotta love our government!
    Already done in the trucking industry with electronic log books.

However, it does make paying each state's road taxes much easier.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    And with the kill switches that have been mandated, if you drive too far, ZAP! Only mild :sarcasm:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Inspections only annually? When I lived in Penna. in the late 70's into the early 80's, inspections were required twice per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom