• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Ordered 1 on Saturday 5/25/13 waiting to hear it shipped.

Also ordered a P-1 from SOG the same day will have to see which gets here first.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The price seems a little high (maybe $100 or so?). Have these gone up?

Reminder: this is why you need a C&R license. You can get this shipped right to your door. Without it, you need to do the MSP paperwork and wait forever and a day.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The price seems a little high (maybe $100 or so?). Have these gone up?

Reminder: this is why you need a C&R license. You can get this shipped right to your door. Without it, you need to do the MSP paperwork and wait forever and a day.

Make that forever and 7 days.....

sunset1

Mar 23, 2012
    Decided against it.

100$ more than what were probably similar P-38 Russian captures Classic was selling.

Thanks for the input.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Big Brown delivered yesterday evening, both the P-38 from Century & P-1 from SOG as an added bonus a 1000 rds of 22 lr from Cabelas. A quick inspection they both seem to be in really good shape. Will get them cleaned up a bit and a give them a closer inspection. If I can find the camera will post pics.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Ok just finished the cleaning and inspection, both are in really good shape, bores look almost new. P-38 has a very small nazi marking. I know I am not a world class photographer
    P-38
    DSCI0087.jpg
    P-38 trying for the nazi markings
    DSCI0091.jpg
    P-1
    DSCI0095.jpg
    Together
    DSCI0097.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    Right off the bat the P.38 has the straight cut frame so probably AC / 42, looks like it has the correct E/359 proofs, etc on frame and slide. What is the letter suffix? And do the S/N's match on the frame, slide and front of barrel? That will give us a good idea of the man. date within a month or two... The P1 usually had a date stamped on it somewhere on the slide.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    P.38 slide, frame and barrel numbers match, s/n ends in a c, has ac 43 stamp, under some of the Nazi stamps has 359, on the frame near the take down lever it has WAFFSCHU DE 10

P.1 the slide and barrel match, they have the last 3 of the s/n on the slide it looks like the original 3 numbers were crossed out and the new number stamped above, under the P1 Kal 9mm it has 12/78 and what looks like a four pointed ninja throwing star. Has a couple of small square stamps but I can't make out what is inside.

Jul 1, 2012
    P.38 slide, frame and barrel numbers match, s/n ends in a c, has ac 43 stamp,

This puts it at end of March, beginning of April 1943, manufactured by Walther (code AC), and is a "1st variation" with the straight frame at the trigger pin, vice the later extra reinforcing bulge. Kinda cool, especially to be a relatively early matched gun from an importer and with an excellent bore to boot. Score!!

under some of the Nazi stamps has 359, on the frame near the take down lever it has WAFFSCHU DE 10

Eagle/359 is military acceptance stamp for Walther, no clue as to the "WAFFSCHU DE 10" maybe a unit marking or something?

P.1 the slide and barrel match, they have the last 3 of the s/n on the slide it looks like the original 3 numbers were crossed out and the new number stamped above, under the P1 Kal 9mm it has 12/78 and what looks like a four pointed ninja throwing star. Has a couple of small square stamps but I can't make out what is inside.

"12/78" is the date code I believe (Dec 1978), at least of the slide/barrel. I'm not up on the post-war stuff and couldn't find the "ninja" markings in my references, hopefully somebody out there can help.

After all is said and done two guns that'll be a lot of fun (bet the AC43 will be more fun to shoot though :) ). As mentioned elsewhere take care to only use 115 gr standard loads... slides can crack. Rare but it happens.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Thanks for the info on the markings, I had no clue what most of them were. I need to do some research in case I run across something really great and pass it up because I don't know any better. I only just read about the code use rather than putting the manufacturer name on it. Was wondering why the P1 had Wather on it but the P38 didn't when I opened the boxes. Never too old to learn.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Eagle/359 is military acceptance stamp for Walther, no clue as to the "WAFFSCHU DE 10" maybe a unit marking or something?

I did some google-fu and it looks like Waffschu is short for Waffen Schumacher, a German importer/exporter. www.waffenschumacher.com (nice AR)

I guess they imported Mosins from Russia. Makes we wonder if yours might be a German capture. I read in one forum that the Russians captured one of the factories, hauled the parts to Russia and assembled some P38s. Trust this info at your own risk.

Jul 1, 2012
    The P.38 doesn't appear to have the "X" mark for a Russian capture which is typically on left side of the frame or left side of slide near the serial number(s) (possibly on the front of barrel lug over the S/N too). It may have been a battlefield capture on the Eastern Front but it's too early (spring 1943) to be captured from a factory. The Russkies dumped these in barrels of Evil Black Goo preservative at the end of the war (the infamous "Russian Dip"), which leaves a characteristic darker finish and turns all the internal parts blue/black - the barrel locking block & locating pin are normally "in the white" as are the trigger spring, recoil spring guides, and recoil springs, sear, etc. Chances are excellent that if these parts are dark it was dipped. No big deal for a shooter and may be reason it's in such great shape.

Russia captured the Spreewerke factory (CYQ or CVQ code) so many late-war CYQ guns are captures that have been dipped. Have one meeself, it's like a little time capsule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom