• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 11, 2009
    Baltimore
    Like the post says I'm curious and would like to know more about o/u shotguns. Maybe there has been a good discussion before but all my searches lead to old threads that seem to drift off topic. I know all the off-topic points that people tend to make in these threads that pumps or semis are cheaper, reliable, easier to fix etc, etc.

What I would like to know are the advantages & disadvatages of an o/u for sporting or hunting. What is out there in the under 2k or so market. What you can expect on purchasing a used gun price break & condition wise. And in general why anyone owns one as their primary type or as a companion for their semis, or pumps. Does it round out the collection so to speak?

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    John,

The main advantages of an O/U over a pump or auto for me would be that they have better triggers (in terms of both crispness and speed), they are better balanced, have the the advantage of having two chokes and they are reliable. O/Us can be built very light, so the combination of light weight and good balance makes them easier to carry for upland hunting. Of less importance to some and great importance to others is that they simply look better and offer a cleaner platform for engraving and nice wood. For target use, the two chokes are important and weight can more easily be built into the gun while maintaining that great "between the hands balance". Other nice features include combination guns for trap, having a set of O/U bbls as well as a single bbl; multiple gauge sets; and tubes guns for Skeet and Sporting, allowing you to shoot all the bores with the same stock, triggers and weight. For handloaders, it's also nice not to have to chase shells thrown from an autoloader.

Distadvantages could be recoil over an auto, but that's really only a factor if the O/U doesn't fit you well. The O/U makes a less than ideal gun for waterfowl due to the loading process in tight quarters of a blind or pit, not to mention not having that third shot. For some, cost is a disadvantage, as an O/U is much more expensive than an auto or pump.

As to the guns on the market, there are many to choose from. There are a flood of cheaper guns from Turkey, Russia and Brazil made to give the budget minded hunter and casual shooter a choice in an O/U. It has not been proven that these guns will hold up to much shooting before starting to have problems. Most target shooters agree that the base guns that will last without giving you any problems begin with the Browning Citori platform and the Beretta 680 series guns. Added to that same general quality would be the B. Rizzini and the Guerini, though Guerinis have been experiencing some problems. Any of these guns in the used gun market can be a good deal and you should be able to save about 25% in a mint low mileage gun. You also must know what you are doing, as target shotguns seem to be altered and customized as much as a 1911 can be. Some add-ons are good and some are not. I always buy used guns if they are unaltered original condition and that way I get no surprises. Like with any used gun, if you know exactly what you want and have the patience to wait for the right gun, you can realize a good value.

You should also know that there's a great void between the decent baseline guns that I mentioned and the very good O'Us like the Perazzi, Kolar or K80s starting in the $10K range.

Like any gun, the O/U is not a do all gun. It shines in some cases and doesn't in others.
    Yes, it rounds out the collection so to speak, as does a good quality side by side, which by the way is the shotgun that God wants you to shoot. If God wanted you to shoot pump you would have been a cyclopse. If he wanted you to shoot an O/U your eyes would be one over the other and not side by side! Seriously though, I would buy an O/U specifically for whatever you would use it for the most.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not that I'm ann O/U fan, but the leading reasons given are : single sighting plane , and the depth of the fore end is similar to that on a semiauto, making it easy to switch between that and a semi.
    As to advanntages of of a double generally over a repeater, it is to have the capability of having two different chokes, or two differet loads available for instant selection. And of course if you prefer the fit and balance of (whatever).
    The last time I looked the 2K range gave lots of choices. Ruger, Citroi, most upper mid mfgs will have a plain O/u in that price range.
    In the under 1K price range I am more partial to the Brazialian guns from Stogers, than most Russian or Turkish in same price rannge. YOMV.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have 2 O/U trap shotguns. I never shoot doubles so I don't really need 2 barrels. I just like them because they are beautiful guns. I appreciate the grain of the wood, the engraving on the receiver, and the classic design.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I have a Citori, along with several pumps and a semi-auto, and for Upland bird hunting and for skeet/sporting clays, I would rather use the O/U anyday of the week. The abiliy to have widely different chokes and the ability to choose which one is great dependingon the shot needed. Yes it does seem to be a little more heavy then say my other shotguns, but if I wanted a lighter shotgun, I would get a 20 or 28 gauge O/U.

RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    The only advantage in my opinion is reliability, having 2 chokes is over rated the more time you spend worrying about chokes the less time you are focusing on the clay. Less recoil with the semi is a plus when your doing a 3-4 day shoot.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Pintail Point in Queenstown also rents O/U's and autoloaders.
    Beretta and Benelli I believe.

I shoot a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U and it breaks sporting clays just fine. :)

Apr 11, 2009
    Baltimore
    So I ended up shooting some skeet this past week with a Browning O/U and I believe all my questions in my original post were answered for me. Compared to my 1100 I still can't get over the lighter weight, maybe it was just balance differently, I don't know. And for me I didn't notice any difference in recoil. I liked it.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Interesting thread. I'm considering a gun to shoot skeet, and the $350 Stoeger/Benelli cheapie in the Dick's ad has caught my eye.

Anyone know how long one of these things would last? Given the price of the Browning over/unders, I can't imagine that you could use something this cheap for long before it fell apart.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I use an old Stevens 5100 to shoot trap. 12ga side by side that is about as trusty as it can get. And I didn't spend thousands on it.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I started shooting Skeet about 2 years ago with a Beretta Urika II, which is a nice autoloader. I thought I was an autoloader guy untill...A nice guy at our club (sanner's) offered me a great deal on a Citori XS Skeet. Not only is the gun a piece of art and really well made it took me from shooting an average of 17 to 22 in skeet. I kept the Urika to use in fowl weather (synthetic gun) and last time I went to use it I couldn't stand it. The big thing I noticed was the "gas" guns seem to move around alot in my hands, where the O/U stays where it should be. I also made a quick list of reasons to own an O/U particulary for sporting clays/trap/skeet or 5 stand.

-You don't have to pick up your shells
    -Easier to Clean
    -Two different chokes can be used at the same time
    -Less moving parts, more reliable IMO/experience
    -Hold their value extremely well
    -Easier to reload

This being said there are still alot of people who love their gas guns and wouldn't shoot anything else. The best thing to do would be to try out as many as possible, and then do what feels right.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For under $2000 you can get a Belgian made Browning. The guns are well built and will never lose value (unless you leave it out in the rain). I shoot a Browning Broadway for trap. It is the first, and only, trap gun I think I will ever buy.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I shot my dad's 20 gauge Beretta Urika all through high school and for graduation my dad got me a 12 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon that I found at a pawn shop for 950 bucks. I noticed that the O/U seemed to be better balanced and provide a faster, smoother follow-up shot than the autoloader. I use the O/U for pheasants, trap, skeet, and sporting-clays and I couldn't be happier.

Anyone want to go out to PG Trap and Skeet one of these evenings before it gets too nasty?

Apr 11, 2009
    Baltimore
    Anyone want to go out to PG Trap and Skeet one of these evenings before it gets too nasty?

I wouldn't mind heading out sometime. Been thinking about going out there on a week night.

And to follow up on my original posts. I ended up finding a good deal locally on the Shotgun World classified ads for a very lightly used 20 ga Beretta 686 white onyx. I shoot skeet and I like the O/U way more than my semi-auto which leads to a more enjoyable time for me.

A guy at work bought an under 1K Winchester O/U at Bass Pro over the weekend. Haven't seen it in action yet though.

Bucephalus

Aug 27, 2008
    I have an old Ruger Red Label used for skeet. Very reliable. The only drawback I see with an O/U, if it is a drawback, is that it only holds 2 rounds before the need to reload. Some pumps hold from 5 to 9 rounds. I also have a Browning BPS used for hunting. Also very reliable used for goose and turkey hunting.

The best shotgun is one that you feel comfortable with and that you will use no matter the gauge or the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom