• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I wear contacts full time, so normally just my Bolle shooting glasses indoors or my Oakleys outdoors. If I do wear glasses instead of contacts, then no additional protection.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I use my ESS for everything from shooting to edged weapons training, they take a beating and just pop back together like Legos. Trading out lenses takes about two seconds.- George

Got a pair last year. Love them. i'm stuck in the grey zone of needing them to read but able to see the front sight. Didn't need the inserts filled but will soon.

Sucks getting old

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Got a pair last year. Love them. i'm stuck in the grey zone of needing them to read but able to see the front sight. Didn't need the inserts filled but will soon.

Sucks getting old

Getting old is definately not for the faint of heart!

You say you need that glasses for reading? So they must be prescription?
    But not to see the front site? OK. And I suppose the target is clear also? OK.

If that is so, you are a presbyope. No, not a dirty word. Just means you could improve your shooting experience with the right Rx AND fitted for you (a shooter).
    Bruce
    410-552-9799

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD

"Fitovers" uncool, uncomfortable, limited peripheral vision, limited usage/color filters, must wear glasses under them (great for fogging your lenses), but cheap.

If you need progressives, you need them, but made for a shooter. It's not the same as everyday glasses.

If you don't need progressives you'll still like shooting better with glasses made for the task.

It's actually as simple as the difference between an Osprey scope and a Leupold. The difference is "clear"
    once you look threw it.

My wife and I both wear shooting progressives in the Wiley X Sabre Advanced. And we love them!

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I got some ESS online and they are great! Ordered the Ice One, sent them my prescription and bingo! :thumbsup:

That's a good choice. People think glasses are glasses. So not true! Some are just not as good, not as comfortable, and make the day just that much less perfect.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    "Fitovers" uncool, uncomfortable, limited peripheral vision, limited usage/color filters, must wear glasses under them (great for fogging your lenses), but cheap.

If you need progressives, you need them, but made for a shooter. It's not the same as everyday glasses.

If you don't need progressives you'll still like shooting better with glasses made for the task.

It's actually as simple as the difference between an Osprey scope and a Leupold. The difference is "clear"
    once you look threw it.

My wife and I both wear shooting progressives in the Wiley X Sabre Advanced. And we love them!

You know, we get, we get you are in the business.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    My daughter was loaned a pair of wear over prescription glasses at the recent Appleseed at AAFG.

Pretty sure they were this model of CREWS brand glasses:

http://www.safetyglassesdirect.com/crews/crews-incorporated-tc010/

TC010.jpg

They fit over her stylishly wide prescripts

pfrazier

Nov 10, 2010
    Columbia
    I found my ultimate pair of shooting glasses.. I was going through some old boxes and found my old "BCG's" Birth Control Glasses from the Army. No matter how hard you tried you could never destroy those things LOL

If you need progressives, you need them, but made for a shooter. It's not the same as everyday glasses!
    Progressives stink for shooting. I have a single vision prescription that I wear on the range or for hunting.

I have since given up my hardware store fit overs and got a set of ESS Crossbows with a prescription insert. I'm quite happy with those.

Last edited:

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    You know, we get, we get you are in the business.

Right. I thought it was obvious that I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Board Certified Optician (ABOC & NCLEC = Glasses & Contacts) with more than 40 years experience. I specialize in Occupational and Sports vision.

"Safety" glasses (like the birth control glasses mentioned by another member) are designed to protect you from impact. They might have side shields but are not designed for shooting. They usually leave the top of the frame open (away from the skull). That allows flying extracted shells to lodge between the glasses and the skull. I saw this happen to a close friend while at the range. Ouch! He got shooting glasses immediately. PLUS, if they are progressives, they are fitted for work. (The seg is too high to enjoy shooting. = I would use a "sport progressive" which drops the seg 6mm, reduces the near 20%, thus keeping the seg out of your way while shooting. - But still allows you to read your ballistic chart, shell casings, scope markings, etc.)

What they call "safety glasses" for shooting, that you get cheap, are all about liability. They are the minimum to allow you to get on the range. But they are cheap because the shield (part you see through) is not optically ground. It is molded. That's what makes it cheap to produce. The downside of all of this is the optical quality. It's not possible to make these so you see as well as you would without them. Plus, if these molded glasses wrap around your face you can easily see the distortion at the bend. (That makes me nauseous.)

Now, if none of this matters to a person it is of no concern to me. I've nothing to gain nor lose. I just tell it as it is. And I mean no disrespect.

My favorite gun is my: http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58SPR
    I mounted a Leupold Mark 4 M1 TMR 8.5-25x 50mm on it. I shoot out to 1,000 yards (when I have the opportunity).

Why bother putting all that money into an accurized MBR and top end optics, and then wear glasses that are not the sharpest and clearest I can get?

It's like putting cheap tires on a Porche. Or cheap speakers on a top end stereo.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks. I haven't been spammed like that since I was on Guam after a Typhoon went through and the power was out for weeks.

Right. I thought it was obvious that I know what I'm talking about. I'm a Board Certified Optician (ABOC & NCLEC = Glasses & Contacts) with more than 40 years experience. I specialize in Occupational and Sports vision.

"Safety" glasses (like the birth control glasses mentioned by another member) are designed to protect you from impact. They might have side shields but are not designed for shooting. They usually leave the top of the frame open (away from the skull). That allows flying extracted shells to lodge between the glasses and the skull. I saw this happen to a close friend while at the range. Ouch! He got shooting glasses immediately. PLUS, if they are progressives, they are fitted for work. (The seg is too high to enjoy shooting. = I would use a "sport progressive" which drops the seg 6mm, reduces the near 20%, thus keeping the seg out of your way while shooting. - But still allows you to read your ballistic chart, shell casings, scope markings, etc.)

What they call "safety glasses" for shooting, that you get cheap, are all about liability. They are the minimum to allow you to get on the range. But they are cheap because the shield (part you see through) is not optically ground. It is molded. That's what makes it cheap to produce. The downside of all of this is the optical quality. It's not possible to make these so you see as well as you would without them. Plus, if these molded glasses wrap around your face you can easily see the distortion at the bend. (That makes me nauseous.)

Now, if none of this matters to a person it is of no concern to me. I've nothing to gain nor lose. I just tell it as it is. And I mean no disrespect.

My favorite gun is my: http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58SPR
    I mounted a Leupold Mark 4 M1 TMR 8.5-25x 50mm on it. I shoot out to 1,000 yards (when I have the opportunity).

Why bother putting all that money into an accurized MBR and top end optics, and then wear glasses that are not the sharpest and clearest I can get?

It's like putting cheap tires on a Porche. Or cheap speakers on a top end stereo.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's

once you look threw it.

What is the difference with progressives for shooting and everyday wear. I have old man eyes too, and have recently switched to progressives. They are much better than bifocals but I'm all about learning a better way.

Edit, ah see your answer above. I don;t see you as spamming at all. We have a forum here to share ideas about shooting. If you can help good on you. It's better than some folks who do nothing but fight over politics and religion and contribute exactly nothing to the shooting sports

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Getting old is definately not for the faint of heart!

You say you need that glasses for reading? So they must be prescription?
    But not to see the front site? OK. .

it's a distance vs close up thing. Rifle sight is good. Pistol not so much. Rifle is starting to slip though, new exam on Friday.

And I suppose the target is clear also? OK Of course not, can't focus on something 30" away and 200 yards away at the same time. I can get one or the other.

If that is so, you are a presbyope. No, not a dirty word. Just means you could improve your shooting experience with the right Rx AND fitted for you (a shooter).
    Bruce
    410-552-9799

My Eye doctor is an NRA pistol instructor and works with a glassmaker who has experience with shooting glasses. They know what I'm looking for and how to accommodate what I shoot. Kinda felt funning bringing a rifle into the eyglass shop though...:D

rooster

Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    My Eye doctor is an NRA pistol instructor and works with a glassmaker who has experience with shooting glasses. They know what I'm looking for and how to accommodate what I shoot. Kinda felt funning bringing a rifle into the eyglass shop though...:D

You took your rifle into the eyeglass store/Dr's office? - :lol:

You must have freaked them out!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You took your rifle into the eyeglass store/Dr's office? - :lol:

You must have freaked them out!

Nope. Not at all. Talked to him in advance. Brought it in cased. Dropped into prone, he marked the point of the lens I was centered on, cased it up, picked the glasses up a week later. SMOOTH>>>>:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom