• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I think in general, if you hit your target (not a graze or a glance, a good central shot) you run a minimal chance of overpenetration.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Are these what they called Saturday night specials?

clerke.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38/.45_Clerke

cb51

Okay, it's a done deal. Went the gun show this morning and sold the Glock. Then left the show with a new Ruger LCR in .22 mag. Stopped by Dicks and bought ammo and went right to the range.

I. LOVE. THIS. GUN!!!!

It points great, is light weight for pocket carry, and has a very smooth trigger. At first it felt like a heavier pull than my old J frames, but it was so much smoother in a way. It's a very weird little gun, way different feeling, but very nice. Almost no recoil, a bit sharper bark than a .22LR, and tears up a phone book.

I think the .22 magnum has been an over looked cartridge for me. The sights on the LCR are way better for me than my old S&W J frames, with a nice square front sight that has a white insert. Best of all, the front sight is pinned, so if I want to put a big dot front sight on, I can with little problem. Sights seem to be regulated for a dead on hold at 15 to 20 yards, and firing fast at 7 yards it was easy to put all the rounds in the dead center of the target.

I love this gun sooo much, I may go get a .22lr version as a companion piece.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you want information on caliber effectiveness, I found the following article pretty enlightening.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I was surprised at how effective some of the smaller calibers could be given what people have been saying about the larger ones.

That study is interesting.

What I come away with is, a good percentage of people are going to be stopped just because they were shot. With ANY caliber.

A good percentage of the people are going to need to be incapacitated as they will not stop until they cannot continue.

And some just don't figure it out with the first round, but stop after another round or two.

Mouse guns are fine for the first group.

For the second group, you need to hit HARD. And mouse guns do not do that.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    IMO "overpenetration" has nothing to do with bystander safety, in that regard it'a a myth, only that some potential for additional damage from expansion was wasted when a round has enough energy to exit a target. Now under-penetration is a real concern, even with duty calibers, lots of cases where a determined attacker didn't stop after multiple hits. It's pointless to worry about a round still having enough power to pass through a target and hurt someone on the other side, in most scenarios where that would happen, they already start out with at least a 50% chance of taking every bullet fired that statistically will miss the target entirely. No matter what, it comes down to an effective caliber with good shot placement and penetration sufficient enough to reach body parts capable of stopping an attacker, duty calibers are already marginal in that reguard. for most, there is no reason to carry less, and as Smokey said, the more rounds that fly on both sides of the gun fight, the more chance an innocent bystander will be hit, so might as well use a load that has the ability to stop the fight quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom