• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Hi All,

Last year I got my Maryland hunting license (via an online Texas hunting license test) but I ran out of time before I could really get my act together and locate a good place to hunt.

I have recently had an offer from a private property owner to hunt a 27 acre property in Virginia. However, I am a Maryland resident. This is ironic since I spent most of my life growing up in Virginia...

Do I need a Virginia hunting license to hunt on private property in Virginia if I am a Maryland resident?

I am hoping to scout out the location late summer or early fall. I was toying with the idea of getting in there and trying to set up some kind of semi-permanent deer stand in advance of the hunting season... though I have absolutely no experience doing this. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Hi All,

Last year I got my Maryland hunting license (via an online Texas hunting license test) but I ran out of time before I could really get my act together and locate a good place to hunt.

I have recently had an offer from a private property owner to hunt a 27 acre property in Virginia. However, I am a Maryland resident. This is ironic since I spent most of my life growing up in Virginia...

Do I need a Virginia hunting license to hunt on private property in Virginia if I am a Maryland resident?

I am hoping to scout out the location late summer or early fall. I was toying with the idea of getting in there and trying to set up some kind of semi-permanent deer stand in advance of the hunting season... though I have absolutely no experience doing this. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

One additional thing - the property owner allows bow hunting only - that should make it more of a challenge ;-)

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I live in MD but belong to a hunt club in VA. Ended up getting the lifetime non resident license for $500. Its usually around $110/year (iirc) so it paid for itself already. The Big Game stamp is around $80 in addition to the regular hunting license.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I live in MD but belong to a hunt club in VA. Ended up getting the lifetime non resident license for $500. Its usually around $110/year (iirc) so it paid for itself already. The Big Game stamp is around $80 in addition to the regular hunting license.

I am thinking about doing the same thing and getting the lifetime non resident license. I grew up around Richmond and know as many people in VA as MD. My parents and my wife's parents live in VA - so if I have the chance to hunt on private property it will likely come from a "friend of a friend" of one of my close relatives - and will likely be in VA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom